How much of WMC does Emby actually use?

Newalpost
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Newalpost

I like the simplicty of Mediabrowser Classic within WMC and don't like Emby Theatre and with the potential to upgrade to Win10 losing WMC my only option is to stay with Win7 and WMC.  I'm also a very basic user of Mediabrowser using it just to manage my collection of ripped DVDs.

So, what part is WMC actually playing because from my niave point of view it seems there are only two features that get used in my situation.  1) I can launch Mediabrowser through WMC, 2) Mediabrowser uses Windows Media Player to play the movie.   In fact I think that even point 2 can be bypassed by using the internal player.

Which leads onto - Is it possible to have a standalone version of Mediabrowser Classic?

Thxs

BATTLE DONKEY

I prefer the simplicity and over all look of MBClassic also, there are some nice features of theatre but for the time being I still prefer to stick with classic.

It's my understanding that once the MBTheatre overhaul is complete it will be easier to create themes and I guess there hasn't been any incentive to create any for it now because it will have many changes, so I hope once it's complete and released we will have more theme options and hopefully the authers of the themes available for classic will port them over to theatre

• Solution

WMC provides the entire platform upon which Emby WMC is built I'm afraid.

Newalpost

I'm just trying to understand things but doesn't Emby Server play the most important role - more so than WMC.

Thxs

MrWebsmith

yes.. the server is the most critical piece and that Does NOT rely on wmc...  the Server feeds the data and in some cases media streams to the client.. this is the piece i dont think you are getting.. so yes.. the server will be fine.. but you will need to explore other options for the client for a win10 system.

but the emby classic or emby for wmc CLIENT APP does 100% require wmc as its just a plugin/addon for wmc... so you will need to use any of the other available clients (Kodi addin/win 8.1/10 app/emby theater) etc.. if you want to leave wmc behind.

for me.. with live tv and copy-protected channels being needed in my house, i have no compelling reason to move to w10 for my HTPCs... so i wont be.. when a better option exists or things change for me and i can move, then i know emby has a number of choices...

my homeoffice pc (thats not a HTPC) is probably going to be upgraded so i can explore all of win 10..

Newalpost

I  understand the Client/Server relationship and I guess what I'm fishing for is another way of having a client that just looks like the MBC in WMC but without WMC.

None of the other clients - Web, Android, Theater can be configured the same way - yet - as the client in WMC.

If Theatre could be configured to look like the MBC/WMC combo I'd switch straight away.

Tried Kodi/Emby, tried Mediaportal but keep coming back to MBC as its the best for me.

Honestly, I think the new Android TV client is going to morph into a better interface than Chocolate/EMC.  And, when I get better playback support, it may end up being a very good replacement option with little configuration required.

But, if you want the fully customizable experience right now, Kodi and the add-on can give you that.

• Like 1

moviefan

The ultimate solution here, as you've alluded to, is Emby Theater with a theme that makes it look and feel the same way Emby for WMC does.

I requested a status update on this in the MBT forum a little ways back but, as mentioned, due to major additional development to be done to MBT no effort is being put into themes right now.

For the time being, my plan is simply to use Emby for WMC and patiently wait for the Emby Theater release that will give us what we want - a standalone windows client with lots of customization capabilities that appears similar to the Emby for WMC we are used to.

@@ebr - Until Android TV supports DTS output it is a total non-starter for me.  Perhaps that what you are referring to regarding playback support.  But I don't see that happening given the licensing complications.  Roku at least supports DTS but the current client interface is ugly - although I know a new one is in the works as well.  So at the moment, Emby for WMC is still the best user experience from both a user interaction and playback perspective I am able to achieve for a standard HTPC setup.  And this is why, given Microsoft's decision to kill off WMC, Emby theater seems like the best next step forward for an HTPC client.in the emby world if the interface can be tweaked a little bit.

AmericanCrisis

Honestly, I think the new Android TV client is going to morph into a better interface than Chocolate/EMC.  And, when I get better playback support, it may end up being a very good replacement option with little configuration required.

But, if you want the fully customizable experience right now, Kodi and the add-on can give you that.

What options do I have for MPC-HC as an external player (I need madVR) besides WMC?  I too have tried Emby Theater months ago and didn't like it as much as WMC.  What is really a deal breaker with WMC is that I can back out of Emby and go to live TV pretty seamlessly.  It would be nice to have Theater have this capability as well.  From what I remember, Theater didn't support live TV that well.  At least not quite as well as WMC (I certainly didn't expect it to though).  

In the end I would love to see an Android based device support direct play (no transcoding), bitstream audio and also support 24p playback.  What I love about MPC-HC is the ability to have madVR switch my TV frame rate to 24Hz when it recognizes the source as such.  

xnappo

You can use Emby for Kodi with MPC-HC.  It also has good Live TV support.

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

You can use Emby for Kodi with MPC-HC.  It also has good Live TV support.

How bout plugins for live tv... does Kodi have one?  

moviefan

Don't forget the Win8.1/10 app!  It looks fantastic and runs great.

I haven't checked this one out yet.  Will have to do some testing.

Others who have used it - how does it compare to Emby for WMC?

balkerman

You can use Emby for Kodi with MPC-HC.

Can you explain how to get this working? When I try mpc-hc says failed to render file....

balkerman

See here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596

[Note that I am not recommending this, the Kodi native player is totally fine for today's HD content, but you CAN do it if you want]

Yes, i know this site, i followed it but when I try mpc-hc says failed to render file....

Have you used MPC-HC with Kodi+Emby?? 

xnappo

Yes, i know this site, i followed it but when I try mpc-hc says failed to render file....

Have you used MPC-HC with Kodi+Emby?? 

I think AngelBlue05 got you sorted over in the Kodi section -  let me know if you need any help here.

xnappo

• 2 weeks later...
kluc11

I have WMC running on vitualized WIN7 machine (on vsphere 6.0) and Ceton Echo connected to my tv - working pretty good except my movie rips (1080) are not playing as smooth as I would like them to - It looks like it's the Ceton Echo causing the issue.

Question - if I install EMBY for WMC and use it though my extender will it use the same mechanism to play movies as native WMC or will it DLNA directly to the extender? I was hoping that with DLNA the extender would not have to do as much work and would play the movies with no issues...

Am I on the right track here?

thanks

It would use the built-in extender functionality of WMC - which isn't DLNA.  It is more like RDP.  The playback is more limited than on the host computer (DVD rips, for instance won't work).

Now, if the ceton has DLNA capabilities (I'm not familiar with it as its been discontinued for a while) then you may be able to use that to access the Emby server directly and bypass WMC altogether.  However, you could also just probably use the TV itself or something like a Chromecast and make it even simpler if that is what you are trying to do.