Transcodeing deamons

Gernash

Gernash

Is there a plugin or scraper software that can munch through your Stored media and convert it over a lifetime, without interaction, to a more Emby transcoding friendly container?

Deathsquirrel

Many of the conversion tools have batch modes but from my experience it's hard to recommend them.  Assuming you're using something like DVD or Blu-Ray disc rips, there probably isn't one universal set of settings you'll be happy with.  Too many variations in the source files.  If that's the kind of source material you're working with you'll likely just want to do it by hand using handbrake or something similar.  Takes a while but it's worth the effort.

Gernash

Commercial Cuda based converters take about 1hr for High bitrate files around the 4G in size. Handbreak takes a lot longer hours and hours.Batch modes are good but I have not seen a scraping tool that just goes through em all and repacks where possible and encode when it is not to a mp4 container that Emby will passthrough to the client without Transcoding.

I'm looking for the One tool to rule them all.....be nice if there was a plugin that looked at the media format and you just ticked a schedule box and it pass to handbreak like service.....

It would take a life time to process the internet.zip ;)

Deathsquirrel

If you use hardware that is compatible with the Intel QSV encoding handbrake can knock out videos much, much faster than that.  It usually takes me longer to rip a newly purchased disc than to reencode it.  A 2 hour movie encoded with QSV containing both a passthrough of the lossless audio and a AAC copy of that same track with burned-in foreign language subs runs in 20-45 minutes and cuts a 20-40GB rip to a 4-10GB MP4 or MKV file, depending on how clean the source video is and how well it compresses.  The results are indistinguishable from the source at a reasonable viewing distance with my 65 inch TV.  I have to be within a few feet to easily spot differences and even then it's pretty minor stuff.