UDP or TCP?

AM S1
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Pardon my ignorance, it is only a question of general knowledge, which is the transport protocol that uses Emby SERVER when transmitting a video on the internet?

UDP or TCP

Thank you

regrads

• Solution
Happy2Play

Emby uses TCP.

• Like 1

karikimber

Pardon my ignorance, it is only a question of general knowledge, which is the transport protocol that uses Emby SERVER when transmitting a video on the internet?
UDP or TCP

Thank you
regrads

Don't open the internet (host) emby server for windows. I don't know linux etc..

Edited by karikimber

Emby uses TCP.

For actual data transfer.  UDP is required for automatic server discovery on your local LAN though.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

For actual data transfer.  UDP is required for automatic server discovery on your local LAN though.

Sorry to revive this old thread.... but does this mean that we should also open a UDP port in the firewall (and forward in the router)? If so, what UDP port?? 

I stumbled into this thread by searching "Emby UDP port" and this was the only relevant link.

Edited by AdlaoMC

Sorry to revive this old thread.... but does this mean that we should also open a UDP port in the firewall (and forward in the router)? If so, what UDP port?? 

I stumbled into this thread by searching "Emby UDP port" and this was the only relevant link.

For remote access (router) I don't think you need to do this.  The UDP protocol is used for automatic discovery of the server on the LAN so you would just want to be sure it is allowed in your firewall on the actual server machine.

• Like 1

You don't need to open anything on your router related to UDP, but you may need to on your server machine for automatic network discovery. We use 7359.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
fernandoferks2
On 30/01/2019 at 15:02, AdlaoMC said:

Desculpe por reviver este tópico antigo .... mas isso significa que também devemos abrir uma porta UDP no firewall (e encaminhar no roteador)? Em caso afirmativo, qual porta UDP ?? 

Eu tropecei neste tópico pesquisando "Emby UDP port" e este era o único link relevante.

Não tem nada de antigo kkkk, estou exatamente aqui em 2021 com a mesma dúvida. Estou tendo um probleminha pois uso internet de fibra de uma uma empresa e eles "não deixam" eu acessar o roteador e fazer a abertura das portas... E a minha dúvida é, pq temos que abrir a porta 8920 também? (Pensei que era só a 8096/TCP)... Outra coisa, ouvi dizer que serviços de streaming funcionam melhor com UDP por não precisar de ter tanta segurança da chegada dos dados ao destino

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, fernandoferks2 said:

And my question is, why do we have to open door 8920 too? (I thought it was only 8096/TCP)

Depends on whether you are using HTTP or HTTPS, so you can configure for one or both.

5 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Depends on whether you are using HTTP or HTTPS, so you can configure for one or both.

Yes this is correct.