Xbox Music plays from Emby : what images is xb1 grabbing?

chef

chef

Hey guys!

When I use the "play to" feature in emby to play music to my xb1. XB1 will open Xbox music and begin the song list.

Displayed in the screen is usually a low resolution image of the album cover stretched to 16:9.

As you can imagine it looks just aweful!

Due to the fact that usually the album covers are square! Lol!

My question is: is emby sending the album cover from folder.jpg, or is it sending the embedded album cover from inside the MP3 (id3 tag)?

If someone has the answer, then it will determine if I am going to write an emby plugin which takes 16:9 high resolution backdrops and save them as folder images for DLNA.

My plugin will either take the easy route and rename backdrop images to folder, or the harder route of editing ID3 tags inside each MP3 file.

Interesting, my album covers aren't stretched. Instead, the player crops the cover and during playback it zooms in and out. Curiously, the zooming isn't centered but may be "focusing" on what it thinks is the foreground image. For example, when playing Weird Al's Bad Hair Day, it zoomed toward his face and not the blank center.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it is using the embedded music file image or the album folder image, since it looks like they are all the same in my collection for the stuff I tested. I'll have to go looking for something that may have different images.

chef

Yes! Crops and zooms. The xb1 must be grabbing the id3 tag for cover image.

If I place a 1920x1080 image into the MP3 the MP3 file is going to be a bigger size. Now if I do it for each MP3 in an album, my music collection is going to grow substantially.

I think I have to rethink this idea.