FR: Change synchronisation interval

CBers

CBers

On startup of Kodi, the synchronisation runs every time, even if it ran 2 minutes ago.

Sometimes I log out of Kodi, only to log back in 5 minutes later and the synchronisation runs again, even though it just did an incremental sync before I exited.

So, can there be an option to delay synchronisation if it has been run in the last X minutes, or even change it to manual so that a user can select when to sync it.

I know I can hide the messages, but it doesn't stop the sync.

Just a thought.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

xnappo

Wouldn't it annoy you if you added something in those 5 minutes? 

The sync is pretty smart - does it really cause any issues?

Edited by xnappo

CBers

Not an issue, just a preference.

Seems daft to run a sync on every start, especially if you know nothing changed.

If you have something missing, then an option to run it manually would be useful.

How often does Kodi run an incremental sync?

Edited by CBers

xnappo

It never runs an incremental sync - it is all based on the web socket.  Only runs a sync at startup and resume from sleep.

Just don't close it :)

Angelblue05

It only runs once at start up - To make sure nothing changed. Then, while Kodi is running, the server will let Emby for Kodi know when an item needs to be updated, removed, etc. It is very smart, and only runs when your Emby server tells it to. However, for the start up sync, it should not take longer than a few seconds if there's nothing changed. :) Oh and when waking up from sleep.

Edit: Just saw xnappo's post appear... well I sound like a parrot now!  ;)

Edited by Angelblue05

CBers

OK, so if anything is added, Emby server tells Kodi?

So why not have an option to sync or not sync at the start and then just let Emby just update Kodi.

Angelblue05

@@CBers

In the event you leave your Kodi turned off, Emby can't communicate with Emby for Kodi obviously. So the start up sync is in place to make sure no information was missed during the offline time. Emby server only alerts "live", so if you added content to your Emby server while Kodi was offline and you had the sync turn off, you would never see the missed content appear in your Kodi library. I hope this makes sense hehe.

It is a necessary evil. But honestly if nothing changed, it takes max 2-3 seconds to complete.

Edited by Angelblue05

CBers

It takes longer than 2-3 seconds, probably runs for 30 seconds minimum on my Fire TV and Nexus Player.

I have 8 libraries that are synced.

Totals around 600 movies and 1500 episodes. No music.

My collection is fairly static, so running a sync every start seems overkill.

marcelveldt

Even if it runs for 30 seconds or longer on a larger library, it shouldn't hurt at all... It doesn't impact system performance or something.

It would be a bad idea to skip that initial sync on startup because the database can get out of sync.

denethor

Actually OP request sounds quite valid to me. Since I am trying things on a mobile devices lately, this is a must have option for slow and expensive Internet connections.

And no we can't keep open Kodi on iPhone/Android all the time. I don't need to keep my library in sync with mobile device and I can do that myself whenever it's necessary. For novice users add on can offer pop up:

"hey novice user do you want to sync?"

And after 4 hrs of not using Kodi in my Galaxy Edge it took 1hrs to sync...

Edit: if you sync your music library, this is really pain in the a** on android/iOS

Edited by denethor

xnappo

Meh, not really.  I mean if we added a timer, it would just be annoying when the timer expired.  At least now you know when you start Kodi it will sync.  

If you want an optional abort sync(confirm you want to sync that is), we can do that.  Then you will either need to restart Kodi, or select manual sync.

If it is taking you an hour to sync with 4hrs of changes, I really think you should just use UPNP on that device.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

Vidman

Actually OP request sounds quite valid to me. Since I am trying things on a mobile devices lately, this is a must have option for slow and expensive Internet connections.

And no we can't keep open Kodi on iPhone/Android all the time. I don't need to keep my library in sync with mobile device and I can do that myself whenever it's necessary. For novice users add on can offer pop up:

"hey novice user do you want to sync?"

And after 4 hrs of not using Kodi in my Galaxy Edge it took 1hrs to sync...

Edit: if you sync your music library, this is really pain in the a** on android/iOS

Sounds to me like you should be using the android/iPhone mobile apps, kodi is reeeeaaally not designed for small screen/mobile usage Edited by Vidman

denethor

If it is taking you an hour to sync with 4hrs of changes, I really think you should just use UPNP on that device.

xnappo

That's because 3G, xnappo. It's ok on wifi. UPNP over 3G is not an option ;) Abort would be good enough

kodi is reeeeaaally not designed for small screen/mobile usage

Please don't do that, you don't even need to sideload APK it's on Google Play! How the hell its not designed for small screen while there is an option called "touch support" in system settings?

And with the latest add-on beta, I can stream all of my library over slow links and Titan Mediabrowser skin runs perfectly with Galaxy EDGE.

Vidman

That's because 3G, xnappo. It's ok on wifi. UPNP over 3G is not an option ;) Abort would be good enough

Please don't do that, you don't even need to sideload APK it's on Google Play! How the hell its not designed for small screen while there is an option called "touch support" in system settings?

And with the latest add-on beta, I can stream all of my library over slow links and Titan Mediabrowser skin runs perfectly with Galaxy EDGE.

have you ever bothered to read this?http://kodi.tv/about/

Like i said there are other emby solutions for mobile devices that are designed to work better with limited internet access /speed

Edited by Vidman

denethor

I don't think that 100.000-500.000 Kodi android users in store using the app with their Android TVs or other android mediaplayers. Please filter the play store reviews based on user hardwares to see what users doing.

Google play store item description:

With the skin re-Touched, Kodi[emoji769] has now been enhanced to better work with larger phones and tablets as well. Kodi is not currently recommended for use with smaller phones.
Kodi Android Hardware wiki

The main aim for the Android port of Kodi is to foremost target media-players/set-top-boxes/sticks that connect to a large screen television and uses a standard remote control as its main interface device, (that is the same market as for HTPC). However expect the initial tablet/phone/touch/mobile/etc support to eventually improve with time.
I'm sure that they are aiming for phones and tablets.

Let's see what will happen once the Emby sync comes to Kodi Add-on. I am talking about the future here and I'm pretty sure that Kodi will taker over all the mobile devices especially for the advanced users:

5 out of 10 new feature listed for Isengard is for Android and 1 out of that 5 is about improvements in Re-touched skin.

By the ways this request is not just about the mobile devices. My MacBook Pro not always connected to Emby server over fast Wifi/LAN it shares the phones 3G while I'm away.

xnappo

Over a slow connection UPNP will work better. The sync takes a long time as you said, and on a mobile device the extra eye candy isn't so important.

That said, we can add an option to turn auto sync off if you want.

TwistedThaGod

Over a slow connection UPNP will work better. The sync takes a long time as you said, and on a mobile device the extra eye candy isn't so important.

That said, we can add an option to turn auto sync off if you want.

I would second this, While auto-sync is nice i would rather do a manual sync once a month. 

xnappo

For general home use, it is a horrible idea and you shouldn't use it.

But.. If you are going on the road and want to access your stuff from your phone, and don't care about it syncing new stuff, I can see it as valid use.  I was going to add the option to only manually sync music anyway because I think that makes sense in even more cases.

• Like 1

e123enitan

For general home use, it is a horrible idea and you shouldn't use it.

But.. If you are going on the road and want to access your stuff from your phone, and don't care about it syncing new stuff, I can see it as valid use.  I was going to add the option to only manually sync music anyway because I think that makes sense in even more cases.

I have alway support the idea of let users decide which option suit their needs have both option to either manually sync both music or and video. ;) hope this make sense?

xnappo

As a dev, giving users switches in not desirable in general, because inevitably someone will accidentally turn it on, then complain that it isn't syncing without a log.  Then post a log showing it not working, then after days of communication, figure out they had that switch on.

The sync is a critical part of the addon, and I am hesitant to give the user control of something so critical. 

But will do so unless the other devs really hate the idea.

xnappo

• Like 1

e123enitan

As a dev, giving users switches in not desirable in general, because inevitably someone will accidentally turn it on, then complain that it isn't syncing without a log.  Then post a log showing it not working, then after days of communication, figure out they had that switch on.

The sync is a critical part of the addon, and I am hesitant to give the user control of something so critical. 

xnappo

Got U, nice :D

denethor

As a dev, giving users switches in not desirable in general, because inevitably someone will accidentally turn it on, then complain that it isn't syncing without a log. Then post a log showing it not working, then after days of communication, figure out they had that switch on.

xnappo

Maybe you can keep this property away from UI and require to user edit some XML files to get that functionality? I know ppl will forget what they do but this is better than nothing.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

denethor

I don't know why but sync is know lighting fast with iOS 8.4 Kodi. Maybe this is due to latest updates on server side but don't now which one. My server updating on a daily basis, since i am on auto update with dev branch.

xnappo

Sync doesn't take more than 30 secs for me, and I have a pretty big collection.  Not syncing music though.  Also during sync everything still runs fine, maybe slight lag but not bad at all.