Movie Collections not populating in Fire TV client

Chuck

Chuck

The Collections folder, generated with Auto Boxsets, shows available collections in the Web client.  But, the folder is empty in the Fire TV client.

CBers

You running the test version, 53a?

I see content in the Collections view on the FTV, as well as collections in my Movies view.

What about library access?  Using the exact same user in both clients?

If it isn't something like that then it must be an error of some sort occurring.  Can you see anything in the server log?

PhilWhite

I have the same issue -- cannot see Collections on the Fire TV.  There is a folder for Collections on the Fire client but the screen is black when clicking the folder.  Everything shows well in the web client.

Chuck

Just checked all users (there are 3, one administrator and the other two with specific access definitions), and all users can see the collections with the web client.

I don't see anything specific in the log other than that the server is "watching" the collections.

Is there some logging you'd like to see?

Edited by Chuck

Bring up the collections item in the Fire and then look at your server log and see if you can find any errors.

Maybe the latest server introduced a change that has broken something.

PhilWhite

I think this is the relevant log for my situation.  It looks like it simply says that Collections was not found.

Log: server-63571008490.txt

Sorry, I'm not sure what information is the most relevant, so I included the entire log.

Chuck

Here's the log requested.

I stopped the server, went to the FireTV client, opened the Collections (it was blank), stopped and restarted the server.

I did go into the Live TV folder as well, in the event this log segment catches the other challenge for http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22784-fire-tv-client-not-showing-scheduled-recordings/

Log.txt

Edited by Chuck

I don't see any errors with the retrieval but I do see this:

2015-06-27 18:19:17.4265 Debug - App: Running BoxSetXmlProvider for \\DISKSTATION\Movies\The Boy Who Cried Wolf .. and more children�s fables
2015-06-27 18:19:17.4575 Error - App: Error in Emby Xml
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5641.4
	Command line: C:\Users\Chuck\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	Processor count: 12
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: False
	Program data path: C:\Users\Chuck\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\Chuck\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Root element is missing.
	System.Xml.XmlException
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
	   at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.BaseItemXmlParser`1.Fetch(T item, String metadataFile, XmlReaderSettings settings, Encoding encoding, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.BaseItemXmlParser`1.Fetch(T item, String metadataFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.LocalMetadata.Providers.BoxSetXmlProvider.Fetch(LocalMetadataResult`1 result, String path, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.LocalMetadata.BaseXmlProvider`1.<GetMetadata>d__0.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<RefreshWithProviders>d__2c.MoveNext()

That means there is an invalid xml file in that collection.  That really shouldn't be causing this problem, but maybe...

Chuck

There were a couple of collection.xml files, hold overs from manual boxsets.  I've removed those files and run a media library scan.

Unfortunately, still no go with collections being populated in the FireTV client.  The web client does show the collections.

There was a challenge with Auto Boxsets when I first did the clean install, where it seemed to only pick up five of the 50 collections, and I did create the others using the metadata manager.  Though, not sure that this is pertinent.

Okay.  I don't have my testing Fire TV hooked back up yet (we took it with us to the Keys) but I'll get that re-installed sometime today and see if I can reproduce.

I can't reproduce.  The Collections view is working fine for me so we are going to have to dig into what may be different on your end.

Give me absolute step-by-step descriptions of what you are looking at with both clients.

drakus72

@@ebr I think it is a setting on his end somewhere. I personally don't use the collections view but have tried it on all my Amazon fire sticks/box and rokus and it all works well.

Just hoping for delete in amazon fire tv.

@@Chuck maybe some screenshots of your settings both server and per user settings.

Edited by drakus72

Chuck

I'm not using any path substitutions, it's a generic default install.

Are there specific screen shots that would be valuable?

Chuck

Here's what I'm seeing ...

Web client home page;

post-271-0-88666300-1435890325_thumb.png

Web client collections;

post-271-0-01120100-1435890361_thumb.png

FireTV home page;

post-271-0-36707500-1435890380_thumb.jpg

FireTV collections;

post-271-0-97261300-1435890532_thumb.jpg

I added the custom folder image for Collections with the metadata manager due to the original image was a simple folder as opposed to the compilation images generated by the other folders.

Edited by Chuck

There must be an error occurring on the Fire side to get a totally blank screen like that.  

I may need to build in an easter egg to send the log for cases like this.

Chuck

For what it's worth, I have 2 FireTV clients, both exhibiting the same behavior.

For what it's worth, I have 2 FireTV clients, both exhibiting the same behavior.

Yeah, because whatever it is is probably related to the actual data/collections or the server configuration.

Chuck

My guess too.  Thoughts on configurations that may impact this?  Happy to send screen shots, but didn't want to capture every configuration page.  Just let me know what we can do to look a bit deeper.

PhilWhite

I'm not using any path substitutions, it's a generic default install.

Are there specific screen shots that would be valuable?

OK, thanks.  I am and was only wondering if that might be something in common since we have the same issue seeing Collections on the FireTV (in the Emby app).  I don't know why it would matter (using path substitution), but it doesn't anyway -- so moot point.

The other strange thing is that the FireTV is certainly capable of showing Collections, since when I use Emby for Kodi my collections show in Movie 'sets' in Kodi.  Unfortunately I don't remember if I could see Collections in the Emby app on Fire TV before the latest server update.

Edited by PhilWhite

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. 

I've gone through several reinstalls of the Emby Server and I still can't get collections to work for the FireTV app. Collections can been seen on the web client and the android client but not the Fire TV.

Also did a factory reset on the Fire TV and installed nothing but Emby. Still doesn't work. 

Edited by rice