Openelec server installation

Ryangodammit

Ryangodammit

Can this be done? I'm sure I've seen it somewhere on the Internet, but I can't find it anywhere anymore

Ryangodammit

And this is the right thing to do right? I'm having trouble getting my head around the whole server based system. It needs to go on a computer that is running all the time for the content to be accessible right? As opposed to just a hard drive attached to your network?

Fairly noob questions I suppose...

Well I am not an open elec expert. Why don't you try it and report back?

ressu

The problem with OpenELEC installation is that you need to be careful where you place the data. Almost everything except /storage is readonly, so you need to pay attention to installation path and other folders used by Emby. Other issue might be Mono, which I don't think is available for OpenELEC.. 

So in any case, try it and see. It might work, or it might not :D

Ryangodammit

That's what I'm going to do, give it a whirl.

I'm away from home for a few weeks, so I'm kind of just researching till I get time to try something.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Can't see why I won't be able to make it work.

Which Linux installation should I use?

ressu

You will have to use the Manual installation media. OpenELEC uses a custom build system, which is based on the ipkg package management (if my memory serves me right). This means that Emby doesn't provide any prebuilt installation packages that are usable in OpenELEC.

Ryangodammit

Just had a quick look at the docs for this, seems pretty complicated.

Will be very satisfying if I get it to work.

What do most people use for their emby server? The same computer that they use to view the videos?

ressu

I use a separate HP Mediaserver that hosts all of my data as well. Playback is done to a ChromeCast in the livingroom.