So is everyone going to Emby Theater once Windows 10 drops?

Gaitkeeper

navanod

Windows Media Centre has been a great interface and DVR manager for the last few years, shame it will no longer be offered in future Windows versions. I will be upgrading to Windows 10 as soon as it comes out, just feel the need to have the latest and greatest to play with.

Kodi with the Emby Addon has proven to be a fantastic WMC replacement, live tv is behind but watching less and less here is Australia anyway so not a biggie, and slowly finding replacement functionality. Love the flexibility ion how Kodi can be constructed to give you the look, feel and functionality to suit your needs.

Tested and now have working Next PVR, so ties to WMC is now completely gone. Last on the list is a good photo viewer in Kodi, the default view by folder is old hat, need tag navigation!

jhoff80

One thing to keep in mind with regards to Windows 10 on an HTPC... they've removed the option for auto-login from what I've seen on all builds so far.  (EDIT:  This turned out to not be true in the final build and any since.)

I've already switched to a virtualized WMC for recordings and live TV to extenders, but for now I'll be staying on Windows 8.1 on the main HTPC... until I start seeing some compelling DX12 content, at which point I might not have much of a choice.

Edited by jhoff80
  • Like 1

Ian-Highlander

I'll be sticking with Windows 7 and WMC on both our media PC's, probably move to 10 on other PC's and laptops, but Emby Theater doesn't even come close to Emby for WMC to me. I'll be sticking with that until such time as it's no longer feasible and then will re-evaluate my options.

• Like 1

im85288

It's interesting to read the thread, I think there can be no doubt about which client will still be performing in years to come with full support and the latest features and that is Kodi. It's track record is enough to prove this. It is open source, has multiple contributors/plugins, will soon have a games library (proposed for kodi 16) and lets you tweak/customise the visual layout as much as you like. In fact, I'm in the process of creating a 4K version of my modded skin as Kodi supports this already. 

• Like 2

GhostRider

I like Windows Media Center - is has a great UI for managing from several feet away sat in an arm chair. I like Emby for WMC even more - the Chocolate theme does all I could ask for from a client.

I was planning on keeping my HTPC on Windows 7, but then I found out the upgrade to Windows 10 is free for for the first year, so thinking long term maybe I will have to migrate with the first year rather than wait for Windows 7 to go end if support life. Hopefully the Emby community will have a great Windows 10 client equal to Emby for WMC ready within a year.

• Like 1

Trevor68

I have the samsung Smart TV app working now, so may at some stage upgrade to 10. I'm certainly in no rush, as I prefer the WMC/Emby interface myself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like Windows Media Center - is has a great UI for managing from several feet away sat in an arm chair. I like Emby for WMC even more - the Chocolate theme does all I could ask for from a client.

I was planning on keeping my HTPC on Windows 7, but then I found out the upgrade to Windows 10 is free for for the first year, so thinking long term maybe I will have to migrate with the first year rather than wait for Windows 7 to go end if support life. Hopefully the Emby community will have a great Windows 10 client equal to Emby for WMC ready within a year.

Why? Windows 7 is still supported until 2018/2019. If it does what you want, just stick with it. I'm certainly in no rush to upgrade to Win10. It's so full of bugs it's amazing they actually released it when they did. Win7 is stable, and is a great WMC platform. Emby Classic is the icing on the cake.

Trevor68

True, all these people who say "this" or "that" works fine, have yet to outline exactly how they are recording AND watching LiveTV on their television. Why? I suspect because any other method than WMC/Emby is more complicated, and nowhere near as reliable.

Edited by Trevor68
  • Like 2

Deihmos

I think sooner or later more and more people will be moving away from WMC for emby and I wouldn't be surprised if development interest decline. It has probably already begun. I myself have decided to move from it but I still use WMC just for live tv. There are so many better players out there for videos. 

balkerman

I've migrated to kodi with emby addon for my 2 htpcs. Works great with live TV also, much better integration. Wmc and emby classic always felt like two different things.

Emby has really dropped the ball for htpc users I think. Emby classic is mostly unchanged since v2, threater is broken. Addon for kodi is good though!

• Like 1

AJNinGA

I've migrated to kodi with emby addon for my 2 htpcs. Works great with live TV also, much better integration. Wmc and emby classic always felt like two different things.

Emby has really dropped the ball for htpc users I think. Emby classic is mostly unchanged since v2, threater is broken. Addon for kodi is good though!

My biggest concern regarding Kodi is live TV, a 10' interface and system stability. Those are must haves for the WAF in my system. What plugins are you using for LTV in Kodi?

Spaceboy

Another dvblink and kodi user here. It's stable but not as fully featured as wmc. I hope to use the upgraded theater once it's ready

• 2 weeks later...

We may well get a fully working WMC in Windows 10? Some great minds have got it running to a fairly advanced stage here:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives

Worth bookmarking!

I figured that would happen sooner or later. People love to hack and get things to happen that aren't designed to happen.

• Like 1

sleepy

That's what make forums and projects so great, people with all abilities coming together to make things happen.

I've moved on to Emby/Kodi setup and I have to say it's good. I've got it working well and looking cool enough for the WAF. But I do miss WMC. Despite it's age and lack of general public usage, it is still better than my current setup.

Let's hope these clever people get it fully working.

• 2 weeks later...

We may well get a fully working WMC in Windows 10? Some great minds have got it running to a fairly advanced stage here:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives

Worth bookmarking!

WMC is working on Windows 10 Final, I have it running thanks to the clever folks on the above mentioned site.

Oh, and Emby works perfectly too so far!!!

Sent from my Kingzone K1 Turbo using Tapatalk

balkerman

Having used wmc for about 4 years until recently and loving it. I will never go back having now experienced kodi with emby addon. I had no idea just how good it could have been...

• Like 1

Deihmos

Having used wmc for about 4 years until recently and loving it. I will never go back having now experienced kodi with emby addon. I had no idea just how good it could have been...

Did you use WMC without Live Tv? I can't imagine anyone doing that. I have yet to find a software that works better than WMC for Live TV but I use Kodi for videos. 

Deihmos

WMC is working on Windows 10 Final, I have it running thanks to the clever folks on the above mentioned site.

Can you point me to the post? I wouldn't want to upgrade my htpc to a hack  but would like to test it on my laptop. My htpcs will stay with win 8.1. 

Edited by Deihmos

AdrianW

Did you use WMC without Live Tv? I can't imagine anyone doing that. I have yet to find a software that works better than WMC for Live TV but I use Kodi for videos. 

I've been using WMC without Live TV for years - specifically for MB2 and Emby MC. Living in Australia, I haven't watched any Live TV for years either (the schedules are terrible as is the quality). 

I tried using Kodi with the Emby add-on, but it's just terrible, config is ridiculously complicated, and I just couldn't get multiple Emby users and multiple different TV and movie collections working satisfactorily.

So, I'm sticking with EMC until Theatre is ready for prime time.

Deihmos

For a minute I was a little confused but then I realized you are not the one I was responding to who said he swtched to kodi and not looking back. I am not sure what is complicated about it but use whatever you are comfortable with. I was able to do all of the same things in no time.

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone at this point. This does not work well.

balkerman

In Australia too, with live TV support. Guide, info recording, recordings etc, all from kodi client. I found the setup much quicker and no hacks required to get everything the way I want.

Dvb link in wmc is crap! Dvb link in kodi is: plugin, settings, watch ha-ha!