Default to unwatched items

Disorganise

Disorganise

Been using MB, MB3 and now Emby for a good number of years and aside from a few quirks, always found it great and easy to use.  Earlier this year I ignored several nags to update my classic for a few months.  eventually I submitted and now regret it.

Please, please, PLEASE, bring back the option to view only unwatched items.  I couldn't give two hoots about stuff I've already watched - I have another 'guest' account to cover that.  But having to  go through 5 clicks (Up, right, right, right, right, ok) to hide all the watched stuff EVERY single time I open Emby is a right pain.  What's worse, is if I do this in 'downloaded TV' and then go to 'Movies' I have to go through it again...and if I then go to movies by genre...again.  It's driving me nuts!

Maybe in a touch interface it's pretty quick and efficient to use (though to be frank I never really got to using the Android app because it always seemed to show everything) but with a remote it's simply frustrating imho.

thanks

Dave

ronvp

Depending on which app and theme  you are using, you should be  able to configure it to do what you want

for EMBY Media Center running chocolate theme, you can actually click or use your remote and where it says "Latest" on the home screen, you can have it show unwatched or watched or other option. next time you log-in, it will show you un-watched right on the home screen and it works for all of your collection folders..

Also if you are using chocolate theme, you can go in to your movies view, select the sort arrows in the upper left corner and the select unwatched. next time, it will default to unwatched next time you log in also..

Edited by ronvp
  • Like 1

Disorganise

Thanks ronvp.

Yes I'm using chocolate.  For good or bad, I've generally ignored the random stuff in the middle section;  it defaults to MBplus I think which I never made any sense of.  It changes according to which folder I'm selecting in the lower section.

You're right with the sort order - but that only adjusts the sort order, it doesn't actually hide the watched items which is how I always had it configured.  It's just not truly "your media, your way" anymore which I bought into a few years back.   Surely I'm not the only person who's not interested in cluttering the screen with stuff that's already been watched?

The toggle is right there on the screen too, all I want to 'remember' it's setting between seatings like it used to.   I have a harmony remote, so if there's a way to program a shortcut to hit the toggle I'd live with that - one button press instead of five.

CBers

Why not uninstall MBPlus ??

Do you not want to see WATCHED items in the EHS and/or the library list ??

Disorganise

Maybe some pics will help.  Default screen when logging in:

558381318526e_1.jpg

Yes I can remove MBPlus - I left it there in the hope one day I'd find it useful.

558381813dd57_2.jpg

So I browse across the folders/categories - in this case Movies (Non 3D) - yes, there is  limited selection of unwatched stuff in the centre - but it is limited

558381f3a61da_3.jpg

Here's where it gets frustrating for me.  The default view is to show everything - I've done the sort by unwatched so everything to right is unwatched, but everything to left is 'ticked' and watched so I don't want to see it.

5583826f4e99d_4.jpg

Here's the view I actually want.  Only the 104 unwatched entries showing, so I'm free to browse backwards and forwards without hitting the 155 watched entries.  But to select the 'watched only' filter is five clicks everytime you enter a folder/category for the first time each session, where as it used to be persistent across sessions.

For TV shows it only makes sense to me to have alphabetically sorted - so even though the highlight defaults to the first unplayed show, the screen is cluttered with all the watched shows.  and if I recall correctly, after choosing watched only and then going into the next level (what seasons are available) I have to select the watched filter again [i won;t argue if I'm recalling that incorrectly though]

The next workaround is of course to 'leave the session running'.  unfortunately that doesn't work.  I have a remote power switch to kill power to the TV and AVR - for some reason, Windows does a bit of a wobbly when the AVR goes off and results in one of two things:  either a screen that low resolution (like 800*600 or something) that needs an exit from mediacentre to fix, OR a black screen than refuses to come back at all - reboot usually required though sometimes multiple power toggles of the AVR will fix it.  Either way, it's not a good workaround.

CBers

If no-one else responds, perhaps wait until @@ebr comes back from his holiday.

If you don't use MBPlus, uninstall it.

I understand his issue.  The filter persistence caused problems so it was removed several versions ago.  It was largely unused and even confusing to many as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
totalhavoc

Can we maybe have an advance config for those of us that did use this? My wife was just saying today how much she misses that option. I mean bury it in a config file somewhere so those that are easily confused could never turn it on. 

• 9 months later...
Z0r0b

Sorry to drag up an old post, but its still applicable. I want to always default unwatched only filter. Having to set the filter every time is painful.

Is this possible?

• 5 weeks later...

Did this ever get implemented by any chance?

Without a default filter to hide watched, I dont know if this product will work for me :( I have quite a lot of content and dont want to see everything at all times

So far I am LOVING this product and I dont want to have to look at other options. Emby ticks soooo many boxes

It would be great if it was available in the quick menu at the top, show unwatched / all

Did this ever get implemented by any chance?

Without a default filter to hide watched, I dont know if this product will work for me :( I have quite a lot of content and dont want to see everything at all times

So far I am LOVING this product and I dont want to have to look at other options. Emby ticks soooo many boxes

It would be great if it was available in the quick menu at the top, show unwatched / all

That feature is available.  It is one of the buttons on the toolbar.

What these people wanted was for that selection to be remembered every time they log on and that is not implemented.  You just have to set the filter again.

• Like 1

That feature is available.  It is one of the buttons on the toolbar.

What these people wanted was for that selection to be remembered every time they log on and that is not implemented.  You just have to set the filter again.

Thanks so much ebr

I too would love to see this feature (remember last state)