folder sync for converting video?

farside847

farside847

Right now I use mcebuddy to monitor my TV recordings folder and rename/convert/copy the files into my emby directory for direct streaming to my roku.

Unfortunately I still have not been able to get my settings dialed in perfectly. The video is not silky smooth, but it works "ok".

I noticed the other day when watching a video that had not been converted yet that the emby real time transcoding did a better job, and playback was much smoother. So I had an idea...

Can I use the new sync feature to convert my files into a perfect roku compatible format and enable direct streaming and trick play? does the sync create files with the same settings as transcoding? I wonder if anyone else is using this feature this way.

Thanks!

not directly, but a good idea for the future. in order to get the bif feature you'd have to convert using folder sync, then take the synced version and make that your library version.

farside847

Ok, so I am thinking of testing this:

Steps

1. Using MCEbuddy or filebot to monitor the recorded tv folder and rename the WTV files correctly and build the correct directory structure into a new directory called "tv-raw"
  2. Add "tv-raw" as a folder in my emby media library and let it process all the raw files
  3. Set Emby folder sync to process all files in "tv-raw" and deposit the output files into "tv-processed"
  4. When sync is complete, delete the WTV files from "tv-raw" and copy the files in "tv-processed" into "tv-raw" and re-scan the library

Theoretically, this would produce roku compatible files in the library that are direct-play capable with a nice FF experience. Obviously this has some manual steps that is not really ideal, but I think we might be onto something here. Wow, wouldnt it be awesome if this feature could be expanded to auto-magically pull recordings into Emby and take care of the renaming and conversion? Maybe it could also be used by embyTV plugin users...

Questions:

• can the folder sync source be set to a folder that is not in the library? this would let me skip some steps
  • would this use the same conversion method that the real-time transcoding engine uses?
  • is the ffmpeg transcoding command line string available? Maybe I can test this with mcebuddy.

Vidman

Wouldn't you have an infinite conversion loop with that set up ? Also seems like a lot of unnecessary scanning and copying.

Edit : you would be better off trying to figure out better settings in MCEBuddy

Edited by Vidman

farside847

Edit : you would be better off trying to figure out better settings in MCEBuddy

I think you might be right. Do you know the ffmpeg command that emby uses? Maybe I can try that.

• 3 weeks later...
irengineer

Hello all,

I would like to do this for all my video/movie content so that I can avoid all transcoding.  This way I can go to a low powered server (qnap, synology) that doesn't have to transcode.  Is this still on the roadmap at all?  

Edited by irengineer

Hello all,

I would like to do this for all my video/movie content so that I can avoid all transcoding.  This way I can go to a low powered server (qnap, synology) that doesn't have to transcode.  Is this still on the roadmap at all?  

have you checked out folder sync?

hjone72

Could you just use ffmpeg to convert your videos into a Roku compatible format using an automated script?

• Like 1

irengineer

have you checked out folder sync?

Yeah, I did. Maybe I misunderstood, but it looked like you had to sync to a different folder like an external drive. I want all the different versions to be in the same folder and let emby choose which to play. Am I not understanding correctly?

irengineer

Could you just use ffmpeg to convert your videos into a Roku compatible format using an automated script?

Good idea and I could look into that, but I want it to be automatic through the server when I add a new movie. That way the low powered server can grind on the encoding during the 22 or so hours a day it sits idle.

Am I out in left field with this idea? I see this as a way to save a ton on server hardware costs.

hjone72

Not sure what OS you are running but at least with Windows you could trigger an event when a new file is detected. Once that event is detected you could convert and sort your media.

I know this can be done with Powershell and Python. I'm sure you could even find a way to get Emby to trigger the event for you.

irengineer

Not sure what OS you are running but at least with Windows you could trigger an event when a new file is detected. Once that event is detected you could convert and sort your media.

I know this can be done with Powershell and Python. I'm sure you could even find a way to get Emby to trigger the event for you.

I know what you wrote are words, but I just don't understand them :)

Joking of course, but I'm looking for something easier and more integrated.  I have a feeling others would use this.  I see a lot of threads on the internet about how people would rather not have to buy a higher powered (and more expensive) server only for the use of transcoding occasionally.