Video showing direct path play compared to plugin path on a Win7 machine.

scalda

scalda

Hi to all,

Please see this video regarding my view on direct path play compared to the plugin path play.

This is recorded via dxtory and then rendered with sony vegas

The win7 machine is a quadcore amd, 8GB ram and a 1gb amd readoen graphics card with gigabit Ethernet connection.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8871364/Captures/Kodi%20play%20back%20through%203%20versions%20of%20emby%20addon.mp4

Scalda

• Like 1

im85288

Hi thanks for the video, from what I can see the difference is hardly noticeable.

What is of more significance is that with direct paths we cannot utilise transcoding etc..we can however use things like the TV tunes addon so both formats have their pros and cons

scalda

Hi thanks for the video, from what I can see the difference is hardly noticeable.

What is of more significance is that with direct paths we cannot utilise transcoding etc..we can however use things like the TV tunes addon so both formats have their pros and cons

I can see you point but it is there.

As for transcending if you are using it on a local network what is the point of transcoding? As kodi plays all and everything I haven't found a single file that it can't.

If you are outside your network then fine transcoding all the way and I would use it like that aswell.

But within my home I like direct paths and not having to put added stress on my server

Edited by scalda

Angelblue05

barely any stress. One api call to the server for the path does not break anything :). You also cannot use this if you have split files or want to have the Emby cinema experience. If you set up parental access, the user can still play content since the direct path is there, even if you restricted access to the server. If you want to benefit from Emby in full, it's better to stick with the original method than with direct path.

scalda

barely any stress. One api call to the server for the path does not break anything :).

You also cannot use this if you have split files. Kodi can play split files by default as long as they are named correctly see part 4 of this page http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies#Split_video_files_.28file_stacking.29 

or want to have the Emby cinema experience. Kodi has it's own cinema experience add on http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Cinema_Experience

If you set up parental access, the user can still play content since the direct path is there, even if you restricted access to the server. I have kids and they can only access what i want them to via the emby Server and kodi.

If you want to benefit from Emby in full, it's better to stick with the original method than with direct path.

Angelblue05

barely any stress. One api call to the server for the path does not break anything :).

You also cannot use this if you have split files. Kodi can play split files by default as long as they are named correctly see part 4 of this page http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies#Split_video_files_.28file_stacking.29

or want to have the Emby cinema experience. Kodi has it's own cinema experience add on http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Cinema_Experience

If you set up parental access, the user can still play content since the direct path is there, even if you restricted access to the server. I have kids and they can only access what i want them to via the emby Server and kodi.

If you want to benefit from Emby in full, it's better to stick with the original method than with direct path.

I'm not here to argue. I'm curious to know if Kodi still plays the second part automatically if it's not added to the database. Emby doesn't return part information in the API unless you request it. Only the main item is considered and added to the database. To find out as when I was testing the feature, none of the cd parts were added to my Kodi library...  :)

I believe it's beside the point, since we want to bring Emby to the table.

I'm talking about access schedule, not parental rating. Have you tried playing content outside the access schedule? The warning will be there, but if you navigate it will still allow the content to play.

Edited by Angelblue05

xnappo

Both would be great! It would be nice for people to see the difference between Pi1 and Pi2.  

For this issue though, of course Pi1 is worst-case.

scalda

Both would be great! It would be nice for people to see the difference between Pi1 and Pi2.

Ok I will have to pry the kids off one of the older pis then and find the time and do a comparison

CBers

Not sure there is much difference between PI1 and PI2 on playback, if configured correctly.

Looks like the latest OSMC version boosts performance by upto 30%, according to the developer.

scalda

I'm not here to argue. I'm curious to know if Kodi still plays the second part automatically if it's not added to the database. Emby doesn't return part information in the API unless you request it. Only the main item is considered and added to the database. To find out as when I was testing the feature, none of the cd parts were added to my Kodi library... :)

I believe it's beside the point, since we want to bring Emby to the table.

I'm talking about access schedule, not parental rating. Have you tried playing content outside the access schedule? The warning will be there, but if you navigate it will still allow the content to play.

I'm sorry I don't use the access schedule or parental controls as my kids have there own folders for there movies and TV shows and can only watch them when I allow it

• Like 1