How do I upgrade the server on Ubuntu?

Zekesdad

Zekesdad

Ive installed Emby through the beta ppa.  Ive done the update/upgrade thing.  I've got the server settings set to beta, but yet it still tells me Im on the newest release. Im on 3.0.5607.2 but 3 days ago I got a notification that 3.0.5621 was out.  What am I doing wrong?

shudder

AFAIK, the auto-update mechanism doesn't yet work on Linux.

On debian, apt-get install --only-upgrade mediabrowser worked for me.

hurricanehrndz

3.0.5621 is beta, which ppa are you referring to? Are you referring to emby ppa, embserver-daily ppa or the old mediabrowser ppas?

Zekesdad

3.0.5621 is beta, which ppa are you referring to? Are you referring to emby ppa, embserver-daily ppa or the old mediabrowser ppas?

Well, there's this one:ppa:apps-z/embyserver-daily

It's been updated in the past 24 hours, but has an older version than ppa:apps-z/emby. I've tried both today, neither one have a newer version from 3.0.5607.2-0.bzr3778+201505150525~ubuntu15.04.1.

hurricanehrndz

Well, there's this one:ppa:apps-z/embyserver-daily

It's been updated in the past 24 hours, but has an older version than ppa:apps-z/emby. I've tried both today, neither one have a newer version from 3.0.5607.2-0.bzr3778+201505150525~ubuntu15.04.1.

The version of the package doesn't necessarily represent the version of the binary inside. The package version come from the latest git tag on that branch. So although embyserver-daily might have an older version number it might be the binary you are looking for. The builds and version numbers are all automated as best as possible.

Zekesdad

The version of the package doesn't necessarily represent the version of the binary inside. The package version come from the latest git tag on that branch. So although embyserver-daily might have an older version number it might be the binary you are looking for. The builds and version numbers are all automated as best as possible.

I don't know about any of that, but if I add that ppa and update, it doesn't find anything newer than 5602.2 or whatever. So I'm still left with the same question, how do I update to the latest beta?

Edited by Zekesdad

hurricanehrndz

@@Zekesdad, You need to uninstall your current version of emby (apt-get remove emby) and remove the stable ppa (sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:apps-z/emby).  Then do an (apt-get update) and an (apt-get install emby), you should have a new version installed with all your settings still being preserved. Please make a backup of /var/lib/emby just in case. Please remember that if your are using daily builds you might experience some bugs, and that the decision to get to the daily builds is yours and yours alone. 

GdNb9wo.png

Edited by hurricanehernandez

Zekesdad

@@Zekesdad, You need to uninstall your current version of emby (apt-get remove emby) and remove the stable ppa (sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:apps-z/emby).  Then do an (apt-get update) and an (apt-get install emby), you should have a new version installed with all your settings still being preserved. Please make a backup of /var/lib/emby just in case. Please remember that if your are using daily builds you might experience some bugs, and that the decision to get to the daily builds is yours and yours alone. 

GdNb9wo.png

Ok, So I did what you said.

According to Emby, my server version is: Version 3.0.5621.2.  I am using the ppa:apps-z/embyserver-daily and it is the only ppa installed on the system.

Now, I get an alert that a new version (Version 3.0.5621.4) is available, so I use sudo apt-get update/upgrade and no new updates are found.  When I go exploring, i look at the version number in the stable branch (ppa:apps-z/emby) and it is 3.0.5621.3-0.bzr3780+201505271743~ubuntu15.04.1.  and was updated an hour ago.  The unstable branch that I am using (again, ppa:apps-z/embyserver-daily) reports version 3.0.5464.40000-0.bzr4399+201505262308~ubuntu15.04.1 and was updated 19 hours ago.  Neither of these are Version 3.0.5621.4.  I don't understand how any of this is being numbered and somehow not updating.

Edited by Zekesdad

hurricanehrndz

Just to let you know when you get alerted that their is a new version, doesn't mean that the ppa has automatically compiled a new version. Everything takes time to propagate. First of all launchpad only imports the code once every 4 hours, and once a day if the code has changed it will compile a new package. The package version is based on the latest tag in the branch. Hence why the beta version looks screwed up. There was two tags made today on the master branch 3.0.5621.4 and 3.0.5621.3. Unfortunately launchpad had already imported and compiled the code for the day. Everything is done automatically and is subject to the randomness of launchpad. If you would like to join the team and be responsible for triggering builds on launchpad by clicking a button, I will be more than happy to walk you through the process so that we can have fresh debian packages as soon as they are tagged. In terms of the version number of the package for the dev branch, I will talk to Luke about getting special tags on the dev branch so that the version numbers look better on the ppa. Sorry for all the confusion.

hurricanehrndz

Just to let you know when you get alerted that their is a new version, doesn't mean that the ppa has automatically compiled a new version. Everything takes time to propagate. First of all launchpad only imports the code once every 4 hours, and once a day if the code has changed it will compile a new package. The package version is based on the latest tag in the branch. Hence why the beta version looks screwed up. There was two tags made today on the master branch 3.0.5621.4 and 3.0.5621.3. Unfortunately launchpad had already imported and compiled the code for the day. Everything is done automatically and is subject to the randomness of launchpad. If you would like to join the team and be responsible for triggering builds on launchpad by clicking a button, I will be more than happy to walk you through the process so that we can have fresh debian packages as soon as they are tagged. In terms of the version number of the package for the dev branch, I will talk to Luke about getting special tags on the dev branch so that the version numbers look better on the ppa. Sorry for all the confusion.

That being said basically, you have wait until launchpad decides it's time to compile a new version for that package, since the last one was done 19 hours ago, I would guess the update will be available in 6 hours.

Zekesdad

That being said basically, you have wait until launchpad decides it's time to compile a new version for that package, since the last one was done 19 hours ago, I would guess the update will be available in 6 hours.

Thank you for the reply.  The way to described that makes a lot more sense. And honestly, my abillities would probably begin and end at pressing that button, but I'd love to help you guys in any way I can.  And thank you again for taking the time to describe what is going on.

• 1 month later...
silvanet

I too got an email 4 days ago announcing "new release" of version 3.0.5675. I checked mine on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and it is 3.0.5675.1, so I'm assuming that I already have the latest version.

After some explanation from Luke I learned that it is working fine on the Ubuntu machine and I can reach the emby server media file library and play them from Kodi on the same machine. They can be reached without the MediaBrowser addon because I have set the location of the emby media library files in Kodi, but also, clicking on the addon brings up a different choice of options and automatically searches for playable sources. That's all good.

hurricanehernandez has also been a good help, but I'm now trying to reach and play those library files from another computer on my local home network.So far no success in any way. I've read elsewhere that someone is even able to play the files on his server across the Internet. That's my ultimate goal, if possible.

hurricanehrndz

I too got an email 4 days ago announcing "new release" of version 3.0.5675. I checked mine on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and it is 3.0.5675.1, so I'm assuming that I already have the latest version.

After some explanation from Luke I learned that it is working fine on the Ubuntu machine and I can reach the emby server media file library and play them from Kodi on the same machine. They can be reached without the MediaBrowser addon because I have set the location of the emby media library files in Kodi, but also, clicking on the addon brings up a different choice of options and automatically searches for playable sources. That's all good.

hurricanehernandez has also been a good help, but I'm now trying to reach and play those library files from another computer on my local home network.So far no success in any way. I've read elsewhere that someone is even able to play the files on his server across the Internet. That's my ultimate goal, if possible.

I'm glad your making head ways. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Riggs
On 12/28/2017 at 11:23 AM, Luke said:

To update you simply follow the instructions on our website:

https://emby.media/download

The same procedure that is used to install can also be used to update. Thanks.

Instructions are not clear to me.

My question is: Do i need to shutdown/kill Emby before install? or just the run the dpkg -i   and then kill the older process? 

I ask you this because when the update is ready, it says, "please shutdown the server and do the update".

Thanks

Edited by Riggs
GUI