I refuse to rename my files!

LostSauce

LostSauce

Hey folks. Been using Emby for about a week and had a few thoughts that I'd like to share.

First of all I couldn't believe I hadn't discovered Emby earlier. It's most likely due to the high level of comfort i had in my home media center setup. Been using an Ouya since the day it got released and haven't played a single game on it, ha! I don't enjoy retro gaming as much as i used to. The Ouya, being just a little pricier than a Raspberry Pi setup, has turned out to be the perfect thing to load Kodi onto and stream media off my media server. It streams in beautiful 1080p and never really has a moment of lockup or slowdown.

I recently decided I wanted a second Kodi device to run on a new TV. Got an old Mac Mini lying around so I thought I'd put it to use. I quickly realized that my watched movies & resume points weren't syncing between the two Kodi instances. So I went through all the hoops of installing MySQL and got it running after a days worth of tinkering. And after all that effort, I was stoked it was working but then I found Emby and realized it was all for naught >.<

Now that I've gotten to dip my toes in Emby for a week I can say I am MIGHTY impressed. Completely blows Plex bullshit-proprietary-restricted-Apple-like-crap-software out of the sky.

Having said that I'd like to make something clear.

I'm not about to sit down and rename every file of my 20TB media server. Why does Emby require files to be named a certain way?

ALL my files are stored as the current web-defaults, meaning I make sure to download the original release and don't rename it. Why bother renaming when the default naming schedule works perfectly throughout the entire WWW.

So I loaded my 20TB's into Emby (without renaming) and realized that it actually worked surprisingly well. Score!
But as expected some files didn't behave the way they should. Those files were documentaries that had several episodes but no season.

Example:

BBC.Great.Barrier.Reef.1of3.Natures.Miracle
BBC.Great.Barrier.Reef.2of3.Reef.to.Rainforest
BBC.Great.Barrier.Reef.3of3.Reef.and.Beyond

In my entire 20TB original named media library this was the ONLY hickup. Many shows in my documentary folder had this style of naming. Emby thought they were 3 different shows instead of recognizing them as a single show with 3 episodes. Can you please add support for "1of3" "2of3" "3of3" style episode naming?

Thanks for a mighty fine product. If I get everything I want out of this app, I'm donating! :)

Edited by LostSauce
  • Like 1

Vidman

You could try defining the documentary folder as home movie content type, home movie content does not try to be identified but I'm not sure if it still follows multi part naming conventions

LostSauce

home movie content does not try to be identified

What does that mean? That it doesn't look up and download metadata? Please elaborate as I need it to download meta data. My documentary folder is set to Mixed because some documentaries are several episodes and others are just like a long movie.

AgileHumor

Sadly, documentary releases are horribly named.  If you don't rename them, you can leave as home videos as mentioned above by Vidman....but will get no metdata.  Your few $ isn't going to solve the fundamental problem that the metadata can't be found with that convention. 

Filebot may help automate, but does not work in the naming format you described.  No utility I know of supports XofY renaming to S01E0X (if you find a utility that does, please share it).

I'd suggest urging the MVGroup and others to name docs properly...pretty stupid smart content is so stupidy labled. 

If you do rename, it will be compatible with any media provider in the future (Emby or otherwise).

Hopefully you'll still donate for all the other features. 

Cheers!

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 2

LostSauce

What a bummer! I guess I can't be upset with Emby for not supporting my files. And you said there is no tool to automate the renaming so this leaves me in the deep devilish pit of lava. I'll probably be in it for many hours renaming files. Please save me if I don't report back.  :blink:

AgileHumor

Filebot will help...still not perfect.

Also, you need to strip the network (i.e BBC).  "ShowTitle S01E02" or "ShowTitle 1x2"...not "BBC.ShowTitle S01E01"

Edited by AgileHumor

LostSauce

Reporting back. The lava burns. Even more so when i come back here after manually renaming everything to discover there are some suggestions on apps to use lol.

Thanks guys, everything works fine now :)

rednoah

Filebot may help automate, but does not work in the naming format you described.  No utility I know of supports XofY renaming to S01E0X (if you find a utility that does, please share it).

FileBot works just fine. If it works in the amc script then it should work from the GUI as well, as long as the numbers more or less match what's in TheTVDB.

Parameter: ut_label = TV
Rename episodes using [TheTVDB]
Auto-detected query: [Great Barrier Reef, BBC Great Barrier Reef]
Fetching episode data for [Great Barrier Reef]
[DUPLICATE] Rename [BBC.Great.Barrier.Reef.1of3.Natures.Miracle.mkv] to [TV Shows/Great Barrier Reef/Season 01/Great Barrier Reef - S01E01 - Nature's Miracle.mkv]
[DUPLICATE] Rename BBC.Great.Barrier.Reef.2of3.Reef.to.Rainforest.mkv] to [TV Shows/Great Barrier Reef/Season 01/Great Barrier Reef - S01E02 - Reef to Rainforest.mkv]
[DUPLICATE] Rename [BBC.Great.Barrier.Reef.3of3.Reef.and.Beyond.mkv] to [TV Shows/Great Barrier Reef/Season 01/Great Barrier Reef - S01E03 - The Reef and Beyond.mkv]
Edited by rednoah

• 5 months later...

to HJ this old thread.........I'm working my very first media server using Emby and need to organize my music prior to installing Emby.  I have 66K files or 270 GB worth of music.  Almost all of it needs to be renamed.

I live too far from city limits to have any broadband at home.  Is there a stand-a-lone app or utility that can speed up this renaming process?   

to HJ this old thread.........I'm working my very first media server using Emby and need to organize my music prior to installing Emby.  I have 66K files or 270 GB worth of music.  Almost all of it needs to be renamed.

I live too far from city limits to have any broadband at home.  Is there a stand-a-lone app or utility that can speed up this renaming process?   

Why do you think it needs to be renamed?

Why do you think it needs to be renamed?

because there's no consistency.  Some files have artist, album, track #, song.  Some have partial info, or characters etc.  It's really all over the board.  Plus, I've been wanting to do this for some time.

Edited by augmont

Ian-Highlander

Having tried multiple pieces of software to try and sort my 65k odd mp3 collection, I eventually came across Musicbrainz Picard. Frankly nothing like it anywhere else, it did what it said on the tin. I still took many weeks of doing it to get it all done as I did it a few artists at a time to ensure it was all correct, but now all nicely tagged and with album art embedded in.

However you do of course need it to be hooked up to the internet for this.

https://picard.musicbrainz.org/

Good start up guide here https://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Tag_Files_With_Picard

Edited by Ian-Highlander
  • Like 2

yup....that's what i am running up against. i have Filebot portable on running on a USB so i am hoping thatdoes the trick. i ordered a usb wifi so i can tether my phone but that won't get here until next week.

success last night on installing Emby with my USB wifi dongle and tethering phone.  Still in the process of grouping artists into a single folder and having albums as subfolders.  I tried install Musicbrainz but wouldn't install on Win 2008 server.  I downloaded Filebot and been using AcoustID mode.  ID3 Tags won't work......i get a "NoClassDeFoundError."  haven't researched what that means yet.  I'm just happy that I'm on the right path.

Once I get my music cleaned up and running on Emby with how i want it to look with album art, etc. I'll start adding movies.   I plan of give my music collection as a x-mas gift to friend so that's why I'm focusing on that right now.  Need to find all the Album art too.

I have about 10 gigs of Comedy albums that i want to keep separate from music so I'm not searching through the music folder to find a Richard Prior album.  I'm assuming with a little research it will lead me to how to set up - right?

Edited by augmont

Ian-Highlander

Strange I installed Musicbrainz Picard on my Server 2008 R2 machine and it runs like a dream.

Strange I installed Musicbrainz Picard on my Server 2008 R2 machine and it runs like a dream.

hmm.....I'll do an windows update and see if it cures the problem.  Can't recall the specific error message but something about "side-by-side comparison" but don't hold me to that.  Is there any benefit using MusicBrainz over Filebot?

Ian-Highlander

I vaguely remember trying Filebot and not being happy with it. Musicbrainz looks it up, gets all the metadata for it, allows you to edit it and change/add album art into it if you want to if it didn't find it automatically (most it did). Very straight forward to use and gets the job done.

Ian-Highlander

Ian, is there any particular plugins you like?

In what? Emby? If so, not many, I only use the Auto boxsets one really at least that's all I have at the moment.

If you're talking about Musicbrainz Picard, I used it pretty much as it came out of the box, although I did register an account on Musicbrainz and tie it to it so I could add albums they didnt have on the system.

Edited by Ian-Highlander

In what? Emby? If so, not many, I only use the Auto boxsets one really at least that's all I have at the moment.

If you're talking about Musicbrainz Picard, I used it pretty much as it came out of the box, although I did register an account on Musicbrainz and tie it to it so I could add albums they didnt have on the system.

sorry...yes MB Picard.