Unable to play a file

Walter

Walter

So, I can play this file in all other players like VLC and MPC-HC but Emby will not play it for some reason. The only Emby player that works is the iOS app. I have tried troubleshooting it but I need some help. I have attached server logs, transcode logs and a mediainfo of the file.

transcode.txt

help.txt

server.txt

yea you can also try disabling subtitles in your user preferences just to see if it might be related to burning the subtitle into the video

Walter

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Funny thing is it use to play just fine.

Walter

So its definitely something to do with the subtitles. With subtitles off it works fine. What changed in an update in regards to subtitles.

Walter

So I tracked this down to pgs subtitles. Currently Emby server is unable to play these type of subtitles. An update somewhere alone the way broke this functionality. Please add this to a bug list if you could.

Walter

I'm guessing this isnt a problem everyone else is having. Anyone else having issues with PGS subtitles?

what app are you having a problem with? i just tested roku, w8.1, chrome, firefox and internet explorer, each with and without the pgs subtitle track enabled. no problem found.

Walter

I am using Emby Theater. But I'm guessing with your testing I just did stuff in the wrong order. I would use Theater and the file would not load. Then I would try the other options and they would not work either. Must be something with Emby Theater then. Sorry for posting here. If you can move this to theater forum that would help.

Walter

I forgot to say you need to have them set to always load. If you load after the video starts they work.

i did test that last night, but i still haven't gotten to Emby Theater. I will try to test your file on that tonight.

Walter

I'm also wondering if remuxing it with MKVMerge fixes the problem. Might just be my files were made with older version.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having this issue with Emby Theatre. The web app plays my content with subtitles fine, but Emby Theatre fails every time. Is there something I can do to fix it? I would supply some client logs but I can't right now internet is down I am on mobile. Was trying to direct stream because everyone in my house is trying to use the server while the internet is down.

I will try to get some logs tomorrow.

Sorry, here is a log where I did the following: Launch Emby Theatre, go to TV Shows, picked a show with subtitles, and then it started playing but the progress bar only had 5 seconds and the screen stayed black. Then I closed it.

theater-63570259339.txt

it's transcoding the video from the server. you can try upping the bitrate in mbt settings, and/or changing your server library configuration so that MBT can see the files and access them directly without streaming.

Ok, I will try that. However even if it is transcoding, it doesn't play the video. The screen just stays black. 

EDIT: My settings were already 40mbps. I disabled the DLNA stuff because I don't want to use it. I think I should be able to Direct Stream without it.

Also, to be clear, this is only happening when I play my content with subtitles. I don't have any that are not PGS subtitles.

Edited by Fayth