New HLS tweaks breaks Stream Copy

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi,

@@Luke,@7illusions

Is it possible to make this new HLS stuff optional. Perhaps it greatly aids some clients, but it has been a major step back in my testing so far. I don't know who tested the win client with this setup. but  the cpu usage and Picture quality make 1080p DTS mkv's  unplayable.

CPU spikes to max 98% or so for about a min plus then cycles down and a minute or two latter cycles back up to 98%. The audio is out of sync making the whole mess unwatchable. 1080p DTS transcoding  throttling off.

Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (libx264), yuv420p, 1920x1040 [sAR 1:1 DAR 24:13], q=-1--1, max. 14106 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 90k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default)
    Metadata:
      encoder         : Lavc56.32.100 libx264
    Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 320 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      encoder         : Lavc56.32.100 ac3
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> h264 (libx264))
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))

Before this would stream copy and transcode audio just fine. ffmpeg would use around 8-14% cpu. The decode to ac3 is much less cpu intensive than aac, why who knows, but is well documented.

If I turn throttling on. I don't get a smooth stream to the client. The picture freezes and then the buffering spinner.

As I said I am sure this greatly aids some client, but can it be made optional or an override hack  provided somewhere.

Thanks -vicpa

let's worry more about the audio sync since that's important for the default. after that then maybe we can look at your personal hacks. also - some of this is your perception because throttling is no longer used or needed with the new hls. therefore the setting has no effect.

but we can't do stream copy without knowing where the key frames in the video are. we currently don't have that information. we give the player a prediction of 3-second segments, then end up with wild variations that cause other problems. if we knew where the key frames where we could segment on those rather than a fixed 3-second interval. so after the audio sync is fixed, that is what we should really be putting our energy into because it will benefit everyone.

Vicpa

Hi,

Fair enough. Is there more info I provide to help nail down the audio issue. Or I can jump back to the dev server track if you need additional testers for refinement tweaking

Let me know,

Thanks

-vicpa