Cannot Connect to Server

steve265

steve265

It's been a while (before becoming Emby) since trying MB Classic on WMC (Win 7) and now I cannot connect to the server. It's not on. Can sign into Emby, but cannot connect there either. Tried signing up for Emby connect (was already signed up before as mediabrowser connect), but can't use same user ID, so changed that to new user ID, but can't use same email address, and don't want to add another email address! WTH! This is very frustrating! What am I doing wrong????? What should I try?

s

and now I cannot connect to the server. It's not on. 

Meaning the server isn't running?

steve265

Yes, that is what I believe.

When attempting to initiate media browser 3 in WMC, the exact error message reads -

"ERROR

Could not connect to Media Browser 3 Server. Please be sure it is running on the local network. Would you like to re-try?"

After signing in with Emby Connect and attempting to Select Server, the error message reads -

"CONNECTION FAILURE

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again. OK"

My server name appears while in Emby, but it does not appear to be active or selectable. The cursor when hovering above the server name does not change to a pointing finger.

s

steve265

I think the server is running. It is a Win 7 HTPC. I can watch live TV and Recorded TV with WMC on the HTPC. Am I missing something here about the server being on?

s

steve265

Upon some further reflection and recollection, this problem seemed to have happened to me before. I found what turned out to be a temporary fix from Luke in this thread.

It is only temporary because I tried a re-installation several times and while it worked for a time, the same inability to connect to the server happened again. Now I remember that this is why I've been so long in returning to Emby on WMC - it hasn't been working and I got tired of fussing with it. I hope we can get to a permanent solution. Thanks for your help in advance.

Live and recorded TV in WMC are completely different from our system.  To use any of our apps, the server (meaning our server application) must be running and reachable.

Can you connect with the web client?

steve265

I understand that WMC is different. I'm only trying to offer to you that my HTPC is on and is working. I can't figure out if your server is on. That's the problem. It appears to me that your server is out of my control.

I can log on via Emby Connect. Is that the web client you are referring to? I know tha logon works because I can log off via the avitar icon in the upper right hand corner. I can log on in FireFox and IE on the HTPC and in FireFox & IE on my laptop. In all cases I cannot select a server, ie mine. I get either:

"CONNECTION FAILURE

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again. OK" per Post #3 above,

or

"No servers are available to connect to. If you've been invited to share a server, make sure to accept it below or by clicking the link in the email."

I did accept months ago. I have been able to get to the web client before and set it up. Now, no go.

Just tried my tablet & no go there either. I think it said that the server is unreachable.

s

The server is an application that runs somewhere on one of your systems.  It is completely within your control.  You decide where to install it and how to run it.  

Where did you install it?  Did you start it?

steve265

Look, I'm just trying to get some help here and not get a run around.

Instead of using a term like server, which could mean a machine or app in your case (which I did know) in questions, how about being more specific and offering what to look for (program name), the default where to look, and how to turn it on?

I did not change any of the defaults on installation of your server or the MB3 app and it has worked before.

The only media browser offerings in Programs and Features are Media Browser Classic and Media Browser DVD/BD Image System Support Package. Is the latter the server app?

Without being a smarta$$, should I just install the server app over again like Luke suggested? If so, just say so. It just did not work before.

s

Server - http://mb3admin.com/downloads/release/server/setup.exe

WMC client - http://mb3admin.com/downloads/release/mbc/setup.exe

Both must be installed, with administrator privileges. The server must be running for the client to access emby. No one is being a smart ass.

To see if the server is running, do you have a taskbar item for emby showing? To tell if it is working/usable visit this URL on the machine the server is installed on: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/web/dashboard.html . If this doesn't work, the server may be "lost", running but not in a usable state, so kill its process via ctrl-alt-delete and restart it.

Edited by speechles