Problematic playback the Lego Movie

Warlan

Warlan

Hello all!!

First off thanks for a great program, love it!

I'm having an issue with at least one movie playback. I've tried about 3 others and they are fine. The movie plays back fine under Graphstudio or via the web browser interface so this is specific to MB Classic within WMC. I'm running WHS2011. I did not have this problem previously with this movie: The Lego Movie. What i see is a black screen with an occasional squeak from garbled sound. The movie does not advance. The xy-VSFilter and Lav filters do not start.

Log is attached, hope you all can help.

Thanks in advance!

MBClassic-19520159500c70daf0b4937b44870a83c268d1a.log

Everything looks fine on our end (other than the fact the movie was paused instead of stopped and then we were unable to stop it when you requested to play something else).  Must be a codec issue of some sort.

If you are on 64bit Windows, be sure you have installed and configured the x64 codecs.

Warlan

Well, the thing is I can play many movies. It's isolated to this movie and perhaps others but I've played others recently and had no problem.

This is where it is failing I think:

2015-05-19 22:09:42.4733,Info,,Internal Player playing The Lego Movie,1,Application
2015-05-19 22:09:42.4733,Debug,,Having to get media experience by reflection due to bug in Windows 7,1,Application
2015-05-19 22:09:42.4733,Debug,,GetMediaExperienceUsingReflection was unsuccessful,1,Application
2015-05-19 22:09:42.4733,Debug,,Calling MediaCenterEnvironment.PlayMedia: \\MONOLITH\Movies\The LEGO Movie (2013)\The_Lego_Movie_t00.mkv,1,Application
2015-05-19 22:09:43.0233,Debug,,Using custom player interface,1,Application
2015-05-19 22:09:43.0233,Debug,,Setting now playing status to True,1,Application

Warlan

Everything looks fine on our end (other than the fact the movie was paused instead of stopped and then we were unable to stop it when you requested to play something else).  Must be a codec issue of some sort.

If you are on 64bit Windows, be sure you have installed and configured the x64 codecs.

So I reripped the movie without the HD soundtrack and it will play in WMC. The HD audio version plays fine within Graphstudio. I noticed when I try to play the HD audio version within WMC it tries to launch the 32bit version of WMP and then just sits there with a black screen and no advancement.

Please note that this movie has been watched (hd audio version) multiple times prior. 

Thanks again for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
Warlan

I've reinstalled the LAV filters. Still a problem. This time I didnt abort the playback and let it just crash out of the viewer.

Please see attached log.

Thanks!

server-63568800000.txt

Deihmos

I think the best thing to do is to give up on wmc for video playback. That's exactly what I did and couldn't be happier. It is just too problematic and lacking.

You can try win7dsfilter to make lav the decoder for h264.

Edited by Deihmos

I've reinstalled the LAV filters. Still a problem. This time I didnt abort the playback and let it just crash out of the viewer.

Please see attached log.

Thanks!

The server log isn't going to tell me much but, again, this has to be a problem at the codec level.

Warlan

Thanks all.

So I'm using Lav filters, is there a better codec?

What's the recommended player than other than WMC? 

Deihmos

Thanks all.

So I'm using Lav filters, is there a better codec?

What's the recommended player than other than WMC?  

I personally recommend Kodi. Just install the new Emby addon and everything is perfect. No playback issues and you have access to all the great addons available. I always had issues with WMC and just had to give up on it. I still use it occasionally the few times I watch TV.

Edited by Deihmos

Warlan

The server log isn't going to tell me much but, again, this has to be a problem at the codec level.

Well I switched to MPC-HC as an external player using the same Lav filters and the problem went away. I'd rather use the internal WMC version as it doesn't have various pop-up windows.

Question, will WMC playback in 24p or is that something that requires an external player like MPC-HC?

Question, will WMC playback in 24p 

Not unless you switch it manually.