Can't use different top level view styles in WMC/MBC

cici

I was using Emby server 3.0.5518.7 for several months. I use it with WMC, Media Browser Classic client. Everything was working fine until a month ago, the server stopped updating media info automatically. I had to manually update each movie. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the server, which automatically installed the newest version 3.0.5607.2.  That seemed to fix the update problem. However, with the latest version, when I go into WMC, every top level view style I have are all the same now.  When I make a change to one, the others change as well. My top level views are "Movies", "Genre", "Shows", "New Movies", all of them except for Shows are movie content types.  Based on how the older version of Media Browser (pre-server) was set up, I created these based on the type of views I wanted. So Movies would be sorted by movie title with a view style of Thumb Strip, Genre would be grouped by genre with view style of poster, which then displays the genre folders. Movies include folders that are also in New Movies, Genre includes folders that are also in Movies, Shows, and New Movies. So they all overlap as far as the location folders are concerned.  Is this view style behavior by design with the latest version of the server?  Changing any of the top level views to a different content type would not provide me with the same services that the movie content type would. Is there another way I can create separate top level views with their own styles?

I was using the older version 3.0.258. I updated the server to the latest one but not MBC, and saw the view style issue, and decided that I should also reinstall MBC, so the latest was installed version 3.0.266.0.  No, I don't have the legacy views enabled. I never had to do that to get the view styles to work.

After posting my response, I decided to try the legacy folder setting. Looks like the new version requires legacy to be enabled for the view styles to work. Just curious, is there another option I can create different views in MBC? I'd like to take advantage of what the server has to offer.

I'll have to look at it when I get a chance.  I guess the different user views created by the server are reporting the same display prefs id.

Just fyi, now that I have to use legacy browsing, I lose the View Configuration option, which means I can't set the order of the top level views.

Just fyi, now that I have to use legacy browsing, I lose the View Configuration option, which means I can't set the order of the top level views.

You do it the same way you always have in MBC - by using the sort names of the media folders.

I've never had that option on the main screen, where my top levels are. I'm using Subdued theme. Not sure if that makes a difference. The only choices I have are Config, Layout Options, and Live Layout. No option to sort. I only get option to sort when I'm inside one of the top levels. Besides, the order I want them in isn't alphabetical or anything.

You have to edit each media folder with the server metadata editor and fill in something in the sort name field that makes it sort how you wish (e.g. "01-movies","02-tv").  These values will never be visible anywhere but will govern the order.

I've looked into your main issue and, unfortunately, this is working as designed right now.  The display preferences are stored based on the type of the user view.  Since all of those are the same type (movies) that is why they are using the same display prefs.

I can argue both ways whether or not this is the best design - I think for 80%+ of people it probably is - but not for you.  Changing it at this point, however would break everyone's display settings so I'm not going to do that right now.  Sorry.

No problem, I understand that I'm probably one of the few who are still using WMC.  At least I have a way around it, before I decide to switch to something more "modern". Thanks for looking into it.