Dish Hopper-Joey DLNA Issue

stevehoffman203

stevehoffman203

I have had Plex running with Hopper over DLNA and it seems to work OK, but I would much rather use MediaBrowser/Emby.

MediaBrowser see's my movies and shows and will play them just fine, but the controls do not work from the Hopper remote, meaning I cannot pause, stop, FF, or Rew.

This functionality did work with Plex.

MediaBrowser/Emby came with a Dish Hopper-Joey profile pre-loaded which I have checked and don't see anything in there regarding controls.

I would think that if controls work over DLNA with Plex, they should work with MB.

I would really like to get this working, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

The dlna aspect of the server is very much community driven due to the fact that devices require individual testing. At some point I'm sure someone came forward in their community to figure out all the nuances with dish hopper and get it supported. Hopefully someone can do the same for us.

No certainly not but we just haven't seen as many technical people with a dish hopper offer to step up and help.

stevehoffman203

In case anyone is following along on this and has any ideas, I have discovered something that I consider strange through some testing.

If I start a movie from Emby via DLNA and my Dish Hopper, the movie starts and plays fine, I just can't pause, stop, etc. with the Hopper remote control.

Here's where is gets weird, once the movie is started, I can shutdown my Emby server, the movie, blips, then continues to play but I now have controls from the remote.  I can pause, ffwd, rewind, stop.

That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Someone please help before I pull what little is left of my hair out.

stevehoffman203

Ya think?  lol  I've even tried adding the network path to the movies under path substitution.  I can't even determine what DLNA profile it is using.  Is there a way to force it to use a certain profile?  I even tried moving all of the profiles out of the folder except for the Dish Hopper profile, to force it to use that profile, but as soon as I started the server back up, it recreated all of them.

stevehoffman203

It is using the Dish Hopper profile for both movies and TV shows but they both act differently.  I dunno.  REW, FFWD, Pause, Stop all work fine on TV Shows.  When I press any of the buttons on a movie, the on screen display pops up showing the command, but nothing happens.

maybe it has more to do with whether the video is direct playing or transcoding and not so much the type? that would be my guess.

stevehoffman203

They are all MP4's and it shows in the log that both types are playing direct.  I thought the same thing too, that it might have something to do with transcoding, but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

• 4 months later...
jsaxon2

I am still having an issue with this. I am running Version 3.0.5724.6. Is there anything I could try in the hopper profile? I wish I knew more about the profiles and what does what in there. I will start to research/figure out, but can anyone maybe suggest something? I've tried mezzmo and I can pause and rewind/fast forward all movies. Got to be a setting somewhere that is hindering it. 

To make things a little more weird, I have Emby installed on 2 different computers. On the one, there is one mp4 movie I can pause and what not. On the other, I cannot. It is the same movie. I am running the same Emby version and viewing on the same Dish hopper. Why would pause work on one install and not the other?

Edited by jsaxon2

Happy2Play

From what you are saying, sound like you need to compare the server logs and post the one that work and the one that doesn't?

jsaxon2

From what you are saying, sound like you need to compare the server logs and post the one that work and the one that doesn't?

Okay, so I am good with the other laptop that is not working. It wasn't using the dish hopper profile. Solves that, but still, I cannot pause or control any of the other movies. I can control one. It is an mp4 and the ones I cannot control are mp4 as well. I cannot control any other movies. I can play them, but cannot pause, ect... I have compared the files with MediaInfo app and they seem to be using encoded the same. the video is not getting transcoded so it is not that. What am I missing?

Here is a link to the log file. I was able to pause onemovie and then tried another and it would not pause. They should both be in this log file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5n41htgn9ujdx3m/emby_log_file.txt?dl=0

Edited by jsaxon2

Happy2Play

Are there transcode logs?  Best guess you need to change the bitrate.

Video

bitrate="1078649"

jsaxon2

Are there transcode logs?  Best guess you need to change the bitrate.

Video

bitrate="1078649"

I tried changing the Max Streaming bitrate under the playback settings for the dish hopper profile. I still cannot pause any movie except one.

Server Log File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ema5wy6lqswmq5d/server-63579324993.txt?dl=0

Transcode log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/at9ku48qvfgo2jb/transcode-ac48da4d-d591-4f75-9b07-fc1432c21af1.txt?dl=0

Happy2Play

So what is different about the media info of the one you can pause?

jsaxon2

So what is different about the media info of the one you can pause?

I can't see any difference in the files. The MediaInfo app shows everything being the same, except file size and the name of the file obviously. Either way, all movies should be able to pause and rewind as I am able to do it in Mezzmo. Maybe not the ones that need transcoded, but I am able to live with that. I would just transcode them manually. I personally like Emby Server better, not just cause it is free and I will donate if/when I can get the bugs worked out.

Are you able to pause all movies/videos you play?

jsaxon2

So i moved all of my movies out of the folder and then moved them back in to recreate the library. Now the one movie that would pause does not pause anymore. I have tried editing the profile but still cannot get it to work. What is happening. I am going insane here. I have verified in the server log that I am using the correct profile. What can I look for? 

If someone would like, I can setup teamviewer so you can take a look at my setup.

Edited by jsaxon2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
SSJ4Gokou

Hey jsaxon2,

I am curious to see how you have your profile setup. I am having an issue where my hopper can see emby and i can play a movie, but once that movie is done my hopper no longers sees the server and i have to restart emby and rescan for the server on the hopper. I haven't tried the FF or Rewind buttons yet.

• 3 weeks later...
I just wanted to give an update. Everything is currently working.:)  I do not know why, it just started working. My steps were, I setup a new computer with a fresh install of Windows 10. I tried Emby, but it would not pause any of the movies whether it was transcoding or not. I then installed Kooraroo and it was able to Puase all of the movies. I uninstalled Emby and then reinstalled, but still not working. I then uninstalled Emby. A couple weeks later, I tried all different media servers from Divx to Serviio to, you name it. I tried them all and most worked for somethings, but not others but did not suit what I wanted. I uninstalled after trying each. I then saw that Emby had a new version so I tried it again. Still did not work. Could not pause anything. For whatever reason I uninstalled it and then re-installed it and now it is working for everything. I can pause transcoded movies and am able to pause fast forward and rewind native movies to the hopper. I do not know why or how it started working, but it has. I am very happy with the performance. I am only using an old Athlon x2 4800+ processor and still able to view all movies and on multiple TV's with different movies. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I am currently on Emby 3.0.5781.2 V.3.0.5781.2 I have uninstalled all other media servers. Nothing else has been installed on this system. I guess, just keep trying the same thing and hope for different results worked here...lol

Hey jsaxon2,

I am curious to see how you have your profile setup. I am having an issue where my hopper can see emby and i can play a movie, but once that movie is done my hopper no longers sees the server and i have to restart emby and rescan for the server on the hopper. I haven't tried the FF or Rewind buttons yet.

I didn't change anything. Just the stock install is what is working for me now.

Edited by jsaxon2

• 1 month later...
nightfly

After just recently getting the hopper and testing out the DLNA client functionality on it I had a similar issue at some point with the inability the Pause or stop the any movie.

I discovered that if I enabled the "Enable enhanced movie displays" under the DLNA->Server tab it would cause this issue. Disabling this option and I can play/pause and stop movies.

I can't reliably fwd or rev movies (some I can, most I can't). Also, Emby seems to transcode all movies even though I use MKV container's exclusively. I do remove all audio tracks except for DTS-MA or THD - could that be causing the transcoding?