Can't stop my addiction.........

JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

LOl just ordered this today......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171528374048?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post-500-0-37266200-1431468176_thumb.jpg

Will let me de-commission my 2 current file servers going to down to 1, and at the same time allow  a lot more storage than I presently can.  Should also save me a few bucks on the power bill, and help keep my basement a little cooler as well lol

post-500-0-37266200-1431468176_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeremyFr79
  • Like 4

crashkelly

LOl just ordered this today......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171528374048?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will let me de-commission my 2 current file servers going to down to 1, and at the same time allow  a lot more storage than I presently can.  Should also save me a few bucks on the power bill, and help keep my basement a little cooler as well lol

Awesome and I am jealous.

Need to find a seller that ships to Canada :(

Cheers and enjoy your new addition

CrashKelly

JeremyFr79

CrashKelly

Might want to check with that guy, they used to ship to Russia, sure they'd do Canada.  They have quite a stockpile to.

• Like 1

spootdev

Hehe, yes it is a sickness.  ;)   Almost have as much storage as SAN at work.....and have 2,000 unwatched movies that I've ripped from bulk purchases off ebay.....and just bought more movies today.  DOH! 

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

I wish I had as much storage as my work SANS, but that would require millions of dollars, a minor power upgrade to my house, and about 3000 - 4000 square feet of empty space, since we're talking about well over 10 Petabytes of SAN Storage :)

• Like 1

spootdev

I wish I had as much storage as my work SANS, but that would require millions of dollars, a minor power upgrade to my house, and about 3000 - 4000 square feet of empty space, since we're talking about well over 10 Petabytes of SAN Storage :)

San as in single.....I wish I added up to all the work sans too......but no where in the 10PB range!  With that many sans I'd actually have to think and plan....where at work.....we only have four of them and a few data domains so it doesn't stress my brain too much.  B)

JeremyFr79

yeah I manage all the hardware in several data centers for a large media company, needless to say we have EMC and Direct Data Networks on speed dial lol, it's quite ridiculous really.  We actually just installed a new EMC VNX setup, 3 cabinets replacing an older 9 cabinet VNX array.  Each node in the cabinet has 120 SFF HDD's 20 are SSD for cache etc, the rest are 10k 1.2TB drives.  There's 10 or 12 nodes if I remember right between the 3 cabinets.  That's just a small portion of our overall storage infrastructure.

Edited by JeremyFr79

mgworek

That looks sweet. When you get it in, please give us a review. I am currently using a Norco 20 bay case for my unraid server but was thinking of upgrading my MB and cpu. This could be perfect. yes older XEONS but they are better then my single 4 core AMD i currently have.

Cerothen

CrashKelly

You could go with this

http://www.ncix.com/detail/norco-rpc-4224-24-bay-hot-ea-55462.htm

I picked up a Norco case (the 20 bay version) a while ago and love it. After you consider the exchange rate on JeremyFr79's order it costs more than the Norco from NCIX.

469 USD is ~562 CAD before factoring in bank fees. However you would have to pay the point of sale tax up in Canada. In either case they will probably end up coming out pretty similar in price.

JeremyFr79

You could go with this

I picked up a Norco case (the 20 bay version) a while ago and love it. After you consider the exchange rate on JeremyFr79's order it costs more than the Norco from NCIX.

469 USD is ~562 CAD before factoring in bank fees. However you would have to pay the point of sale tax up in Canada. In either case they will probably end up coming out pretty similar in price.

Actually it's cheaper in the long run as it come's complete with Motherboard, 2 Xeon Procs, Adaptec Raid Card, and 16GB of memory, meaning the only thing you need to add is the drives :)

I'll let you know what I think once I get it setup.  Though I can tell you as I already own 2 SuperMicro Chassis and used to build them for customer's all the time they are great chassis.  They're built like tanks typically better than Dell/HP/IBM etc.  What I love about SuperMicro is everything is "off the shelf" i.e. all industry standard formfactors, which allows you to use a chassis for a much greater period of time as you're able to upgrade all the important stuff as needed.

Once this is setup it'll be feeding my Emby Box which is a Dell R710 with Dual X5570's and 48GB of RAM (which does all the work)  outside of that this will just be a general file server so I didn't need a whole lot of horsepower.  My issue was my 2 current file servers each have 8x1TB Raid 5's yielding 6.4 TB a piece in storage space.  Where in this I'll be running a 24 Drive RAID50 so I'll have roughly 20TB of usable space after parity and formatting.  Nearly doubling my current storage capabilities. All while using less power and producing less heat over the 2 file servers I currently run.

JeremyFr79

BTW I'll make sure to post a vid once this thing get's here and I get it up and running as I know we ALL like blinky lights! lol

crashkelly

Might want to check with that guy, they used to ship to Russia, sure they'd do Canada.  They have quite a stockpile to.

I saw that and I am going to enquire about shipping to Canada *crossing fingers*

You could go with this

I have seen those as well but agree on the value point of picking up a used box that already has everything except the OS

Actually it's cheaper in the long run as it come's complete with Motherboard, 2 Xeon Procs, Adaptec Raid Card, and 16GB of memory, meaning the only thing you need to add is the drives :)

I'll let you know what I think once I get it setup.  Though I can tell you as I already own 2 SuperMicro Chassis and used to build them for customer's all the time they are great chassis.  They're built like tanks typically better than Dell/HP/IBM etc.  What I love about SuperMicro is everything is "off the shelf" i.e. all industry standard formfactors, which allows you to use a chassis for a much greater period of time as you're able to upgrade all the important stuff as needed.

Once this is setup it'll be feeding my Emby Box which is a Dell R710 with Dual X5570's and 48GB of RAM (which does all the work)  outside of that this will just be a general file server so I didn't need a whole lot of horsepower.  My issue was my 2 current file servers each have 8x1TB Raid 5's yielding 6.4 TB a piece in storage space.  Where in this I'll be running a 24 Drive RAID50 so I'll have roughly 20TB of usable space after parity and formatting.  Nearly doubling my current storage capabilities. All while using less power and producing less heat over the 2 file servers I currently run.

Exactly what I am looking for, said, done, and ready to go, and already have about 14 drives to slide into it :)

BTW I'll make sure to post a vid once this thing get's here and I get it up and running as I know we ALL like blinky lights! lol

Looking forward to it

Cheers

CrashKelly

• Like 1

crashkelly

Seller does not accept questions :(

My dream will just have to remain that for a little longer

Cheers

CrashKelly

JeremyFr79

Seller does not accept questions :(

My dream will just have to remain that for a little longer

Cheers

CrashKelly

His ad specifically states he ships to US and Canada.

Mine is shipping out today.

Edited by JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

Or rather says he takes international orders and if you're outside the US or Canada he requires bank transfer only.

crashkelly

Or rather says he takes international orders and if you're outside the US or Canada he requires bank transfer only.

Strange as all of the listing I am looking at only say shipping to the US.

I am looking specifically at this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-846E1-R900B-X8DTE-F-2x-X5650-SIX-CORE-XEON-CPUS-16GB-MEM-24x-TRAYS-/201217587925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed980bad5

Cheers

CrashKelly

EDIT: But I looked at the store policies and they ship to US, Canada, Europe, and Asia. Maybe it is the servers that only ship within the US. Will keep looking

Edited by crashkelly

JeremyFr79

Strange as all of the listing I am looking at only say shipping to the US.

I am looking specifically at this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-846E1-R900B-X8DTE-F-2x-X5650-SIX-CORE-XEON-CPUS-16GB-MEM-24x-TRAYS-/201217587925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed980bad5

Cheers

CrashKelly

EDIT: But I looked at the store policies and they ship to US, Canada, Europe, and Asia. Maybe it is the servers that only ship within the US. Will keep looking

Hope you can get it figured out, they're a hell of deal on a hell of a server.

• Like 1

crashkelly

Hope you can get it figured out, they're a hell of deal on a hell of a server.

So do I and they are an awesome deal

CHeers

JeremyFr79

Ok, so it's here, showed up with some minor damage (not from shipping), the front control panel wasn't working as the connector for the ribbon cable had broken off the PCB.  Not a big deal, seller is shipping the parts to fix it.  Other than that it's a beast!  It's sitting on my work bench right now as I transfer all my files to the drives.  looks like that'll be going until tomorrow.  20TB of usable space on 24 drive RAID 50.  She's fairly quiet though the 900 watt PSU's that come with it are fairly loud.  I'm going to swap them out with the 800's from one of my older servers that are much quieter.  I already did the math and there will still be more than enough for everything as the drives only pull a max of 13 watts a piece, and the procs are 60W each etc.  I would happily buy from the seller again they were quick to respond regarding my issue and offered to send the parts no questions asked. Even with initial build/verify going on the raid I'm still getting 200-300MBps write speeds to the array so this thing will be flyin once the build/verify is finished.

This thing was really well packed to for shipping, fully foam packed nice rugged box.

JeremyFr79

One last thing I also lucked out in being able to just move my OS SSD drive over and it detected the new hardware right away so I didn't have to do a format/reinstall of the OS which was AWESOME!!

FrostByte

So you would recommend this seller then? I'm looking at some of his workstations

JeremyFr79

yeah definitely, when I sent him a question in regards to the broken part, he responded back in less than 30 minutes and said he'd replace it, no cost, no questions asked.  They pack the gear really well and mark it as sensitive instruments as well so that hopefully the shipper doesn't bang it around too much.  The unit I got was super clean in and out, and outside of the one little issue is functioning flawlessly.

• Like 1