New to Emby - new install on Unraid - some problems

hgeorgescu

hgeorgescu

Hello;

I'm trying to modernize my Unraid installation and add Emby to it.

Installed it without any problem - at least as much as I could tell.

The interface is very appealing (great job!) and I wished it will also work - a long desired functionality, for me, but unreachable, because everything i tried before Emby, required more fiddling and time than I had available.

Emby initial installation was quite easy - which led me to try further, enabling one by one different aspects of its functionality.

I placed a movie and a couple of music folders the corresponding Emby directories. I was able to connect with the browser from my Windows 7 PC and start watching /listening to them It also was accessible from Windows Media player, on the same pc.

I loaded then a couple of photos folders. They don't seem to work that well however: pictures are not sizeable. Nor is the orientation detected.

I went to an old notebook running Windows XP, and tried to access the same content from there. I couldn't. Is there a limitation in operating system capability?

Finally tried to load a few of the plugins. Not all work, and it is not clear the intended context they are supposed to work. If the installation cannot be automated - to check for all dependencies, technical and/or otherwise, ideally would be to include some brief description, which may be able to guide the potential user.

Live TV is not clear how it can be used. Doesn't do anything.

TVHeadend same thing. I have a couple of HDHomerun devices on the network, which I would have hoped to be able to see. Not so.

Revision 3 and CNET work. ICItou.tv doesn't. Neither ITV UK.

I'm at the point that I don't know if there is a proven configuration which works, and I seem to get into the trouble I've experienced before.

Is there any place where I can document myself a bit better - pure technical information, on how to get certain things running?

Thank  you for your time

HG - Canada

hurricanehrndz

Hello;

I'm trying to modernize my Unraid installation and add Emby to it.

Installed it without any problem - at least as much as I could tell.

The interface is very appealing (great job!) and I wished it will also work - a long desired functionality, for me, but unreachable, because everything i tried before Emby, required more fiddling and time than I had available.

Emby initial installation was quite easy - which led me to try further, enabling one by one different aspects of its functionality.

I placed a movie and a couple of music folders the corresponding Emby directories. I was able to connect with the browser from my Windows 7 PC and start watching /listening to them It also was accessible from Windows Media player, on the same pc.

I loaded then a couple of photos folders. They don't seem to work that well however: pictures are not sizeable. Nor is the orientation detected.

I went to an old notebook running Windows XP, and tried to access the same content from there. I couldn't. Is there a limitation in operating system capability?

Finally tried to load a few of the plugins. Not all work, and it is not clear the intended context they are supposed to work. If the installation cannot be automated - to check for all dependencies, technical and/or otherwise, ideally would be to include some brief description, which may be able to guide the potential user.

Live TV is not clear how it can be used. Doesn't do anything.

TVHeadend same thing. I have a couple of HDHomerun devices on the network, which I would have hoped to be able to see. Not so.

Revision 3 and CNET work. ICItou.tv doesn't. Neither ITV UK.

I'm at the point that I don't know if there is a proven configuration which works, and I seem to get into the trouble I've experienced before.

Is there any place where I can document myself a bit better - pure technical information, on how to get certain things running?

Thank  you for your time

HG - Canada

First for the plugins did you stop and start the docker? Plugins need emby to be restarted in order for them to work. I'am assuming that you are using the docker install of it?

hgeorgescu

First for the plugins did you stop and start the docker? Plugins need emby to be restarted in order for them to work. I'am assuming that you are using the docker install of it?

Hi - thank you for trying to help me... and sorry for the incomplete details.  I should have provided more information... I didn't use docker. I'm on 5.0.6 - the latest stable version of Unraid.

I run it on an antiquated dual core Opteron 1218 HE (Supermicro M/B) - somewhat the equivalent of a core 2 duo @ 2.5GHz.

While I would definitely want to adventure into Unraid version 6, i don't know if it is that straight forward to use. I have some linux knowledge, but very limited time and energy - I'd rather just run an installation script, and not have to troubleshoot anything. Besides, it is still beta, and I'm not sure if I would adventure to store my data on it yet.

Emby installed from here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33341.0 directly onto my 5.0.6 server, per instructions.

Created all the setup directories on the cache drive, when I saw it complaining about not retaining configurations at reboot.

Created 4 new shares on my raid, and copied over a small sample of media of each kind, to see how it behaves.

After installation, I've pointed the browser to tower:8096 and ran the wizard. The looks and initial feeling gave my high hopes.

First issue I detected was with the photos. It was not displaying properly (orientation), and a few other quirks.

On Windows 7 things seem to be manageable, once exploring the server with Windows Media Center.

The browser experience wasn't too convincing - I need to write down everything I come across, and post it here.

I explored more what is available, and came across the many pluggins.

The tvheadend has drawn immediately my attention, but even if installed properly, it didn't actually do anything.

The others I've mentioned I installed one after the other, with little space in between.

I restarted emby a couple of times to make sure it committed the installations, and for all intents and purposes, they seemed to be installed correctly.

The dash log said so at least.

Left it for now - got to move back to my other daily chores etc.

Hopefully find a way to keep it and use it.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have to ease my adoption...

Hg

thefirstofthe300

The TVHeadend plugin needs a fully functioning TVHeadend installation for it to be able to work. It simply uses the TVHeadend api in order to play TV, recordings, and set recording timers. That might be why it doesn't appear to do anything. Have you read how to setup live TV on the wiki? Http://GitHub.com/MediaBrowser/wiki/wiki/live%20tv

Also, photos is still in the early stages of development. Currently, there aren't a ton of people who actually have photos on there server so the Dev team hasn't spent much time on it. At this point photos is essentially a very basic viewer. If you want mpre functionality, you can post a feature request. In regards to the photo orientation being off, all of the photos on my server are displayed correctly. I think the server reads an embedded exif tag to get the orientation of the photo. You might check your photos to see if they have them.

Edited by DaBungalow

hgeorgescu

The TVHeadend plugin needs a fully functioning TVHeadend installation for it to be able to work. It simply uses the TVHeadend api in order to play TV, recordings, and set recording timers. That might be why it doesn't appear to do anything. Have you read how to setup live TV on the wiki? Http://GitHub.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.wiki/wiki

Also, photos is still in the early stages of development. Currently, there aren't a ton of people who actually have photos on there server so the Dev team hasn't spent much time on it. At this point photos is essentially a very basic viewer. If you want mpre functionality, you can post a feature request. In regards to the photo orientation being off, all of the photos on my server are displayed correctly. I think the server reads an embedded exif tag to get the orientation of the photo. You might check your photos to see if they have them.

Thank you for tvheadend clarification.

I don't have the other half installed/setup etc.

That link doesn't seem to work for me. I get a 404 error. I'll search for it - knowing what i need to look for.

Regarding photos orientation - the exif info is displayed (when clicking the mouse on a  picture something like this is displayed):

Camera makeNIKON CORPORATION

Camera modelNIKON 1 V1

Exposure time1/59.99999999999988 s

Focal length18.5 mm

OrientationRightTop

Iso speed rating100

SoftwareVer.1.40

That "righttop" is shown on the side, instead of rotating the picture 90deg.

I'll experiment a bit more. What are the features known to be sort of "production ready" so to say?

Thank you

thefirstofthe300

Fixed the link. Sorry about that. I was try to remember it off the top of my head.

hgeorgescu

Fixed the link. Sorry about that. I was try to remember it off the top of my head.

Thank you. No problem. The link is still broken :) but I searched and found the content... this must be it https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki

I'll do the reading tonight. For the time being I'll comment more on last night experiments.

Any thoughts on the issue with the photo orientation? I can live with the modest functionality, if the pictures are easily accessible and properly oriented.

Both the general view (which puts together sort of a large tapestry of all  pictures) and the individual view, displays them in the wrong direction. Tried this on Linux Firefox and Chromium.

I loaded a couple of movies and tried to play them for a few seconds and also fast forward and backward. I found no way to reset the resume section - it shows me each movie where I left it, I'd rather prefer to have an option to erase that, selectively.

Another thing: I noticed that Emby is set to download movie info from multiple sources, but it is only partially doing that. Some movies had everything loaded with them (rating, thumbnail cover, actors etc.), while another had just the title and the link to IMDB.

Tried last night to see if the embedded dlna client on my AVR is able to see Emby, and also play the content. Found Emby immediately on the network, but after the initial excitement, and to my disappointment, only the music went through. Neither the movies nor the pictures did anything - I kept clicking on the remote thinking that there may have been some delay, but no success. The AVR is a Pioneer VSX-1124. After checking the DLNA and the AVR specs, it looks like this is the expected behaviour. 

I've just upgraded to the newer Emby version, and I tried again. Still didn't work.

I really wish this works for me, but so far have spent time without too good results.

I'll ask again the question about what is considered to be fully developed and functional, on a predefined set of requirements.  Is it that everything is sort of work in progress?

Edited by hgeorgescu

hgeorgescu

Hello;

I'm stil hoping to get a reply (some help) to the issue with my photos' orientation.... this is manifesting itself both in group and individual display. Any chance someone in the developers group can advise on the possible solution?

I can offer this link to a couple of pictures taken with two devices. Both examples ar displayed on the side. (top turned to the left) The orientation information is not taken into consderation. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sx4889pza7urr7f/AAAC-0RSQeooJ3VprsEK9T_Va?dl=0

Also is there any chance that Emby would ignore files with unknown extensions, instead of placing a dark rectangle instead? In the same directory I have both raw and jpg files, and I don't want to move them around, create subdirectories etc.

Aonther question/problem: there seem to be no possibility to go into full screen display of a photo? That is kind of awkward. Technicalities about a picture might be of interest too, but I would access those through a menu option, and allow for a full display of the photo. Also no possibility to go into show mode?

Thank you

hg

hgeorgescu

Hello again;

Sorry folks - Emby looks great and has lots of potential...You've worked hard to develop this software, and I'm trying to become a permanent user. I would gladly become a contributor too, if I can understand where things are going, etc. So far I'm in the discovery mode, and still far from settling on it. So here I'm adding a couple of issues on the movies section...

I like the fact that the mouse pointer brings up movie rating and category rating very quickly, but I don't see a filter option at the top of the page, or in the search. A category rating (MPAA, or equivalent) filter is a must, and I think that option should also be a default setting in the user profile, by age - when a user is created. I don't want to dump mature content on the screen intended for a child.

I don't know how to reset/delete recent movies, and movies left unfinished. I have tested quite a few, started, scrolled through the movie to check subtitles etc. and now all of those I touched are left on my dashboard. They show up as suggestions. I'm not sure at this stage how to use suggestions - perhaps that would be useful when I would be able to use Emby for real. For now I'm just testing and that suggestion pannel is in the way. Please advise how i can reset it.

Looking forward for some advice.. Thank you

Edited by hgeorgescu

thefirstofthe300

As far as the photos go, you should post most of your questions as feature requests since most of what you mention isn't possible using the current server.

I think I figured out what is wrong with the orientation tags. The server actually doesn't appear to be reading it and compensating for it. All of my photos that are displaying correctly have a value of one for the orientation tag when read by exiftool. Yours have a value of six and are displayed as if the orientation tag was one. Luke will have to tackle this one.

I like the fact that the mouse pointer brings up movie rating and category rating very quickly, but I don't see a filter option at the top of the page, or in the search. A category rating (MPAA, or equivalent) filter is a must, and I think that option should also be a default setting in the user profile, by age - when a user is created. I don't want to dump mature content on the screen intended for a child.

As far as I know, you can't really search based on the content rating but I do know that user profiles will take care of displaying age-appropriate content for users. Under the users section in the dashboard, you are able to set a maximum rating that a user can view. As long as all of your media has correct content ratings (they should since metadata is pulled from online databases and they are normally quite good), search will not display inappropriate content to the user when they do a search. This link should give you more info.

I don't know how to reset/delete recent movies, and movies left unfinished. I have tested quite a few, started, scrolled through the movie to check subtitles etc. and now all of those I touched are left on my dashboard. They show up as suggestions. I'm not sure at this stage how to use suggestions - perhaps that would be useful when I would be able to use Emby for real. For now I'm just testing and that suggestion pannel is in the way. Please advise how i can reset it.

At this point, there is no option to remove a movie from the resume section of the home page. However, a workaround for that is to just mark it as watched with the checkmark. If you want it to still pop up under the latest section, simply mark it as unwatched. As far as resetting the recent movies, there are a number of ways to set this up. You might just be best off searching the user preferences yourself. You can find them when you click on your user icon in the server dashboard.

If you need anything else, let us know.

hgeorgescu

As far as the photos go, you should post most of your questions as feature requests since most of what you mention isn't possible using the current server.

I think I figured out what is wrong with the orientation tags. The server actually doesn't appear to be reading it and compensating for it. All of my photos that are displaying correctly have a value of one for the orientation tag when read by exiftool. Yours have a value of six and are displayed as if the orientation tag was one. Luke will have to tackle this one.

Thank you, DaBungalow.

It looks like my problem is not high on the priority list. No comments /suggestions from Luke yet regading the orientation problem.

I'll switch to the Feature requests and start a running wish-list there. If some of the things I'm thinking about are already available, I'll strike them through.

hgeorgescu

Hello Emby supporters;

I'll add to the topic, instead of starting a new one...  I'll try again to elicit a resonse from the developer(s) relative to the display of photos.

I doubt it is just me having the problem of wrong orientation.

I'll add a problem found in displaying home videos (VHS capture in mpg): I launch the play of the video (web client running in firefox, on linux), a scene/image snapshot is maintained on the screen, taking estate from the space which should be entirely dedicated to playing the video. The lower half of the screen is shadowed to make room to that scene and irelevant information, and the upper part of the screen is used to play the video (well just half of the content - the othe half is missing). Strange.

Thank you.

inkubux

Just for the record. I was never able to make ICItou.tv work on Emby :(

I also use Unraid but i'm running Unraid-6rc3 with Emby inside a docker container.

hgeorgescu

Just for the record. I was never able to make ICItou.tv work on Emby :(

I also use Unraid but i'm running Unraid-6rc3 with Emby inside a docker container.

How is Emby performance, running in a container?

Which features in Emby are you using, and have all been performing for you w/o problems?

I use the plugin on Unraid 5.0.6 - gave it subsets of various content, to test it.

I only started started testing  rc3 on a separate system, and will try to run it there it in a container.

inkubux

How is Emby performance, running in a container?

Which features in Emby are you using, and have all been performing for you w/o problems?

I use the plugin on Unraid 5.0.6 - gave it subsets of various content, to test it.

I only started started testing  rc3 on a separate system, and will try to run it there it in a container.

@@hgeorgescu

Docker container are fairly lightweight, so no performances lost.

I run a ASRock Q1900DC-ITX with 4Gb of ram and I run about 5 containers (Emby, Deluge, Filebot, Sonarr, Apache) without any performances issues My CPU is usually idle at less than 1%.

Emby runs great I can transcode 720p in realtime on the webclient, not 1080p as my hardware is not powerfull enough. I do hope that one day quicksync will be available for transcoding and for the webclient as my processor supports it .

I don't really need transcoding as my clients are Kodi boxes and on the android client I use an external player to avoid it.

Edited by inkubux

hgeorgescu

@@hgeorgescu

Docker container are fairly lightweight, so no performances lost.

I run a ASRock Q1900DC-ITX with 4Gb of ram and I run about 5 containers (Emby, Deluge, Filebot, Sonarr, Apache) without any performances issues My CPU is usually idle at less than 1%.

Emby runs great I can transcode 720p in realtime on the webclient, not 1080p as my hardware is not powerfull enough. I do hope that one day quicksync will be available for transcoding and for the webclient as my processor supports it .

I don't really need transcoding as my clients are Kodi boxes and on the android client I use an external player to avoid it.

Thank you - you have a nice little m/b there - latest generation and power efficient (unlike my "dinosaur" runningon on an Opteron 1218HE)

I guess then you are using Emby mostly for the video serving features - and probably those are the most polished. I'll check those out more.

I wanted a more complete solution, but for now I gave up on the idea of photo album in Emby, and started looking at Plex instead.

Edited by hgeorgescu