Emby OS?

smidley

smidley

Has there every been any plans for an Emby OS?  Something similar to Kodibuntu or OpenElec.  I think a lot of people would switch over from XBMC to Emby client if there was just an image you could install on your computer without having to worry about building the underlying OS first.  And I would much rather run Emby as a stand alone OS rather than on top of XBMC, on top of linux.

I think it would be great to plan a lightweight super efficient linux-emby build.  Something that would boot directly into emby, and rely on emby server.  Thoughts?

• Like 3

it's a neat idea. we'd probably have to rely on a community member to get such a project started though

syran

I'll be glad to test and translate, sorry I'm not a coder, but I want to do my part  ;)

• 3 months later...

I am interested in something like this too.  Right now I run Emby from a Docker hosted on my unRAID box.  On the main TV we use the Roku but the Roku app is a little limiting (I suspect this is a Roku issue, all the Roku "channels" seem to have the same general layout).  I wish I had a nice full featured client with a great 10 foot interface I could use on the TV without running another computer.

Something like a dedicated image that just had the Emby front end would be cool. I could throw it on a tiny computer or maybe host that as another Docker on my unRAID and connect the TV directly to it.

I wish I had a nice full featured client with a great 10 foot interface I could use on the TV without running another computer.

Something like this...?

55c6414eebae5_newhome.png

555b418cda8ce_enhancedbrowsemovie.png

5546494931a5c_newplayeratv.png

A Nexus Player or Fire TV would fit your bill I believe...

blubyu3049

@@ebr, I am using this on my Fire TV and I like it quite a bit.  The biggest problem is that it won't pass the audio stream on to my AVR and let it decode the audio so that I can get full 5.1 on all of my movies.  I have read that the problem is because my movies are encoded with a higher level/and or subtitles that require the client on the Fire TV to transcode the movie while it is playing.  Because of this I only get stereo output.

It would be great if the client on the Fire TV would direct play the movie file regradless of encode level/subtitles so that the audio could always be passed through.  Maybe create a setting so that when you are using the Fire TV on your local LAN it always direct plays everything.  The Kodi client on the Fire TV passes the audio perfectly so that I get full audio for all of my movies.  This is pretty much the only reason I am still using Kodi at all in my house.  I am fully ready to convert everything over to Emby once I can reliablly pass all the audio through.

Is there a linux client somewhere?  I know there is a linux server, but I have never found a linux client.

I think that all of our options are still limited to Stereo on that device.  With the Nexus Player we are able to pass-thru DD and decode DTS to 5.1 but I still don't think this works on the Fire.

Deathsquirrel

Is there a linux client somewhere?  I know there is a linux server, but I have never found a linux client.

Linux users generally use Kodi with the Emby plugin as I understand it.  There are no native desktop linux Emby clients.

• 2 weeks later...

I am one of them - I have 2 chromeboxes and 1 brix all running openelec and emby plugin...  if there was a native build that could replace openelec I would definitely be interested - the boxes are not quite good enough for windows and emby theatre, and a native program rather than an app within something else would be a great addition to the offerings.

mellomade

Maybe the upcoming Emby Theater app will run on linux?  If so then a port to OpenELEC should be possible.  In addition to Kodi, Plex has done this (defunct now I think) as well as the Rasplex group.

A stand alone client that does not require an OS like Windows would be awesome!!

im85288

@@ebr, I am using this on my Fire TV and I like it quite a bit.  The biggest problem is that it won't pass the audio stream on to my AVR and let it decode the audio so that I can get full 5.1 on all of my movies.  I have read that the problem is because my movies are encoded with a higher level/and or subtitles that require the client on the Fire TV to transcode the movie while it is playing.  Because of this I only get stereo output.

It would be great if the client on the Fire TV would direct play the movie file regradless of encode level/subtitles so that the audio could always be passed through.  Maybe create a setting so that when you are using the Fire TV on your local LAN it always direct plays everything.  The Kodi client on the Fire TV passes the audio perfectly so that I get full audio for all of my movies.  This is pretty much the only reason I am still using Kodi at all in my house.  I am fully ready to convert everything over to Emby once I can reliablly pass all the audio through.

You are aware the Emby for Kodi addon works perfectly on fire tv so you get the best of both worlds?