Media Center is dead. Long live Emby Theater

PoBear

Deathsquirrel

Did a new Emby Theater based on the rewrite get released?  I'm glad people that recently installed it are delighted with it but unless I'm missing an update it's the same version from some time ago. :)

saitoh183

Did a new Emby Theater based on the rewrite get released?  I'm glad people that recently installed it are delighted with it but unless I'm missing an update it's the same version from some time ago. :)

Nope

lionman

I have a couple of concern is with the death of WMC.

Live TV support. For all of WMC faults, its implimentation if live TV and PVR functions where very usable. What can we replace these with post WMC?

IR Remote support. I love using MB3 in WMC as we can move frome one to the other using a single remote.

What the best solution post WMC for live TV, Emby and Netflix all controllable with the windows IR remote?

im85288

What the best solution post WMC for live TV, Emby and Netflix all controllable with the windows IR remote?

Simple answer is Kodi, slightly longer answer is never use windows as the OS for your HTPC, try OpenElec (it's free)...but you can run Kodi on windows if need be.

Deathsquirrel

@@lionman I won't suggest OpenElec as I'm not familiar with its Netflix and I can't stand Kodi.  That doesn't mean it won't do Netflix or that YOU can't stand Kodi so sure, give it a look.  You pretty much can't do what you want at this time with the PC outside of WMC with one device.

• The newer Windows Netflix app is not remote control friendly
  • The Hulu app is worse
  • There isn't yet an amazon prime app at all

Note that WMC isn't going away in the near term as far as is known.  It will likely be supported until the EOL of win 8.1 since it's a feature of that OS.

As for making a change now, you're going to need a live TV package that's compatible with Emby so NextPVR or MediaPortal from what I see in that forum.  Then you'll need a client device with a remote controllable netflix UI and an Emby client.  Something like the xbox one, firetv, or nvidia shield may be good choices though the xboxone client isn't out and none of those devices yet offer anything like the media compatibility of WMC or Emby Theater.

Tester

I do not understand the original poster.. Why is MCE dead ?  Simply because it is not included in the latest OS ?

I disagree, the product as it stands is still the best LiveTV PVR software out there, I have tried all of them and nothing compares.

And since Win7 will continue to have support for a few years, then MCE is not dead.  Just because it will not have new updates nor be included in the latest two dreadful OSs doesn't mean it is dead.

Edited by Tester
  • Like 2

Deathsquirrel

@@Tester Win 7 support ended in January.  Win 8.1 support for WMC is likely what's keeping WMC alive for any required data from MS.  That ends 2018.  Still lots of time.

@@Tester Win 7 support ended in January.  Win 8.1 support for WMC is likely what's keeping WMC alive for any required data from MS.  That ends 2018.  Still lots of time.

Not extended support.  That goes for almost five more years and 8.1 will go even longer than that.

Bottom line, if you use WMC and it works well for you, there is no urgency to do anything.  Nothing is going to change on Jul 29th or anytime soon after that.  However, the general public and all development will be moving in a direction other than WMC so you should be looking at alternatives as they develop.

• Like 5

Deathsquirrel

Not extended support.  That goes for almost five more years and 8.1 will go even longer than that.

Bottom line, if you use WMC and it works well for you, there is no urgency to do anything.  Nothing is going to change on Jul 29th or anytime soon after that.  However, the general public and all development will be moving in a direction other than WMC so you should be looking at alternatives as they develop.

I didn't mention that because I was unsure if the extended support will cover guide updates for WMC.  They only promise security updates normally...but at LEAST 2018 seems to be plenty of time to find a replacement to me.

• 2 weeks later...
aerospyke

I want to give theatre a go but without destroying the config I have for WMC. anyone know if it is possible to just stop a service and WMC will stop running/recording so theatre can take its go at running without interference?

TrainAss

I want to give theatre a go but without destroying the config I have for WMC. anyone know if it is possible to just stop a service and WMC will stop running/recording so theatre can take its go at running without interference?

What interference are you worried about? Emby theater runs independently of Windows Media Center. I've run both on the same machine without issue.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

techywarrior

Emby Theater doesn't handle Live TV or DVR itself. It requires a backend for that. Be it WMC with ServerWMC, NextPVR, etc.

But as was said. Emby Theater doesn't interfere with WMC at all so you can run them both at the same time if you want to test Emby Theater out (but if you want DVR and Live TV you'll need to configure a backend to handle that.

Edited by techywarrior

aerospyke

Sorry bit of background (forgot it wasn't obvious), curently running WMC for live tv/DVR, MBC for videos and movies, and emby server all on the same machine. I want to turn WMC off,  and use emby server for the live tv (using whichever DVR plugin I decide on, theres a few isn't there?) and emby theatre for watching anything and everything, all the while WMC and MBC not doing anything so i can see exactly how it runs currently ... and if I need to roll back, I uninstall emby theatre and turn WMC back on and go back to how I was... make sense?

techywarrior

First step is to configure a Live TV backend of your choice. I'm not familiar enough with them to know if they disable the ehome backend or not but other then making sure ehome isn't running you don't have to uninstall any software. You can leave WMC and Emby Classic alone. (just don't run WMC).

• Like 1

aerospyke

First step is to configure a Live TV backend of your choice. I'm not familiar enough with them to know if they disable the ehome backend or not but other then making sure ehome isn't running you don't have to uninstall any software. You can leave WMC and Emby Classic alone. (just don't run WMC).

Thanks mate. I will need to figure out the differences between the different live tv backend plugins... from what i can see they all require some other software or specific hardware to work with their plugins to provide a tv stream... all I want is a plugin that will give me a TV stream to emby server through my quad TV tuners... am i misunderstanding how they work?

Vidman

If you have a hdhomerun all you need is the embytv plugin for emby server, all the other live tv plugins requires you to be running an additional software programm for emby server to interface with

aerospyke

If you have a hdhomerun all you need is the embytv plugin for emby server, all the other live tv plugins requires you to be running an additional software programm for emby server to interface with

whats a hdhomerun? I'm assuming its a tuner? I am in australia so alot... read almost ALL... hardware the US has doesn't exist here... i have a digitalnow card if it helps  http://www.digitalnow.com.au/product_pages/Quad.html

Hdhomerun is a TV tuner yes. Dual tuner over ethernet. They are indeed available here in Australia. I recently ditched my dntv cards for hdhomeruns and couldn't be happier with them.

Vidman

Im in Australia too and I've been waiting for a au version of the extend, which transcodes streams to h245 automatically but I've recently heard it's not coming in an au version:(

Im running emby on my low power nas so the less i need to transcode the better

Edited by Vidman

• 2 weeks later...
KarterJK

How is it that XBMC has a Netflix plugin but Emby can't? Since the WMC Netflix app died a couple of days ago (at least in WMC7, not sure about 8), I'm having to figure out my path forward for the sake of my family members. It sure would be nice if Emby was that path. For all I know it could be way more trouble than it's worth. For all I know the XBMC plugin is hacky and has a poor user experience. So by no means am I saying "how dare Emby not provide this", but since some people believe it's essentially not possible, it's at least worth calling that into question in case there is something to be learned from what that plugin is doing.

Netflix in WMC still works, if it no longer functions go into service and turn of ehrcvr service

goto Programdata\Microsoft\ehome and delete the .hds file

goto Programdata\Microsoft\Playready and delete the .hds file

restart your machine and it should work again, if not try uninstall netflix for Windows media center then start Media center and reinstall it.

Netflix in Windows Media Center works on all of my Win 7, 8, 8.1 machines.

Edited by KarterJK