Media Center is dead. Long live Emby Theater

PoBear

There is a built-by netflix app for windows modern UI. how is that not a good option. it can be easily launched. getting back to where you came from is the only thing that needs to be figured out. but where there's a will there's a way and i'm sure that will be solved sooner or later.

Right ok. I would just go to windows 8.1. There is no good reason to avoid it. 

TheShanMan

How about additional expense, time, and headache when you've already got things installed, configured, and working nicely in 7? Again, of course win8 is an option, just not a good one. But I get it. There won't be an Emby integration with Netflix. So either I luck out and Microsoft decides to fix the Netflix issue or I consider the undesirable alternatives (xbmc, win8, ditching my htpc for alternative hardware, etc).

they're not going to fix it. you can do an OS upgrade easily. the metro interface takes some getting used to, but it sounds like you won't be using the desktop much anyway as you'll have htpc apps running.

TheShanMan

I know windows can be upgraded (I've been using windows since 3.0), but that's beside my point. Thanks though.

AdrianW

...getting back to where you came from is the only thing that needs to be figured out. 

Alt-F4 exits the Netflix app and returns you to exactly where you were.

(The Media Center SE device on Harmony remotes has all the special Win, Alt and Ctrl key combinations).

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

TheShanMan it's worth noting that there won't be an Emby Netflix integration because Netflix doesn't do that sort of thing any more.  They no longer publish an API to let people make their own Netflix apps with customer UIs.  They have a Windows app, it requires 8.1.  If you don't like Netflix's app policies you may wish to discuss that with them :)

I don't like said win 8.1 app but again, that's not an Emby issue.  I just wish they'd make the thing work easily with remote controls.  Clearly not going to happen but I can wish.

TheShanMan

Deathsquirrel, my original point was that xbmc has one. It may be a hacky, loose integration, but apparently it works so it's better than what we have currently with Emby and WMC7. I think this topic has been beaten to death though. I get that the Emby team isn't interested in this.

TrainAss

Deathsquirrel, my original point was that xbmc has one. It may be a hacky, loose integration, but apparently it works so it's better than what we have currently with Emby and WMC7. I think this topic has been beaten to death though. I get that the Emby team isn't interested in this.

Why not create a custom shortcut to launch the Netflix website. Apparently that's all the XBMC "app" is from the sounds of it.

Deathsquirrel

That's correct, they will not do anything that violates Netflix's TOS and probably wouldn't want to do something as half-assed as what I've read about that kodi netflix plugin even if netflix was perfectly cool with it.

If you choose to run a platforn with a netflix app then Mbt can launch that app.

TheShanMan

LOL. Why are we still beating this dead horse? I thought this was over by post 31.

Edited by TheShanMan

TrainAss

LOL. Why are we still beating this dead horse? I thought this was over by post 31.

My kids need glue for arts and crafts. Didn't you know, the more beaten the better the glue?

iam4uk

Since the WMC Netflix app died a couple of days ago (at least in WMC7)...

This statement is confusing, as I am using WMC Netflix app in WMC 7 today. Nothing has changed about it that I can discern.

TheShanMan

Turns out they fixed it a couple of days ago (there were some big discussions on the topic elsewhere and a Microsoft MVP said Microsoft and Netflix got it worked out). So its death has been pushed out a bit further into the future! :) You probably just missed the window of downtime that lasted several days last week.

Edited by TheShanMan

Deihmos

I would much rather use the Win 8 Netflix app over the wmc app which imo is horrible and hasn't been updated in years.

TrainAss

I would much rather use the Win 8 Netflix app over the wmc app which imo is horrible and hasn't been updated in years.

Not to mention, the Windows 8 Netflix App works for those of us in Canada, unlike the WMC Netflix app.

AdrianW

The Win 8 app sorely need updating as well. It needs at least remote control support, show names on the next up list thumbnails and some way to set the default preferred audio track. It annoys me no end that I have to select 5.1 every time I use the app.

Deihmos

The Win 8 app sorely need updating as well. It needs at least remote control support, show names on the next up list thumbnails and some way to set the default preferred audio track. It annoys me no end that I have to select 5.1 every time I use the app.

I don't use it. I have a roku and the TV has Netflix built in. Just saying I would use it over the wmc app which can't even do Dolby digital.

• 2 weeks later...
bret1958

I have been waiting for this day...

Thank you !!!... to all the devs and the hard work. I appreciate it. Its been many years of Trials..

Long live the dirth of a few unnamed themes of ....well....terror and mayhem.

Looking forward not back, wish you guys great success. :)

Ready to go live Pime time In our Theater with EMBY THEATER and allow our guests to stream from the server on our local network...

I will give the idea of streaming from the Cloud a few to mature.. But I assume it will be a hit for a few favorites in our collection.

The Idea of letting go and rewriting was genius and a success. Cheers to all...

• Like 1

wraslor

I have been waiting for this day...

Thank you !!!... to all the devs and the hard work. I appreciate it. Its been many years of Trials..

Long live the dirth of a few unnamed themes of ....well....terror and mayhem.

Looking forward not back, wish you guys great success. :)

Ready to go live Pime time In our Theater with EMBY THEATER and allow our guests to stream from the server on our local network...

I will give the idea of streaming from the Cloud a few to mature.. But I assume it will be a hit for a few favorites in our collection.

The Idea of letting go and rewriting was genius and a success. Cheers to all...

What exactly does this mean, do you have an unreleased update or something?

bret1958

What exactly does this mean, do you have an unreleased update or something?

That it works. I've been waiting for about a year for MBT to go stable...after many years of growing pains..  MB 1 & 2 Now 3 with themes on top of WMC with an external player can be retired ..MBT or now EMBY Theater can be deployed in a well used theater ...that if a button on a remote does not work then its lights out.

No more fiddling and fussing... If they dont like my collection insert a disk and off they go...

What was it about a year ago ? that they anounced hold on guys.. we are going to rewrite the entire thing... and they did..

Congratulations.... Perfect No.. Stable enough to deploy to Button Pushers yes.. :) PS It looks great (No extra Theme needed) the layout is logical and the search function and menus are just right I dont have to spend my time training every guest in the theater.

Yes it all use to work with just WMC or basic MB but along came HD + (audio) and tablets and phones and the game changed looks like they are about to catch up......

• Like 1

Heuer

+1 Last night we took the leap and officially moved over to Emby Theatre. Works superbly and I really like the internal player with NvidiaCuvid, MadVR and Re-clock. Not going back to WMC and thanks to everyone for all the hard work to get this far. We are really looking forward to whatever else you have in mind for Theatre.

Guest Andy

I've been putting off going to Emby Theatre for a long time because WMC with the Pearl theme has been excellent for my family; the wife likes the simplicity and the kids (5 and 7) find it easy and intuitive (after all, it's just a bunch of scrolling left and right to get what they want with minimal interface).  Last time I tried Emby Theatre it was your typical looking, XBMC-type interface; lots going on, huge amounts of info - kinda confusing for the little ones.  Has this changed?  Are there minimalist themes like Pearl can be for Theatre?

saitoh183

I've been putting off going to Emby Theatre for a long time because WMC with the Pearl theme has been excellent for my family; the wife likes the simplicity and the kids (5 and 7) find it easy and intuitive (after all, it's just a bunch of scrolling left and right to get what they want with minimal interface).  Last time I tried Emby Theatre it was your typical looking, XBMC-type interface; lots going on, huge amounts of info - kinda confusing for the little ones.  Has this changed?  Are there minimalist themes like Pearl can be for Theatre?

Themes will come but dont think it will be when its released. as for being busy, i think we will have to wait and see what has changed compared to the current version