Media Center is dead. Long live Emby Theater

PoBear

PoBear

If you haven't already seen it the talk on the street is that Windows 10 will definitely not have a Media Center option.

Guess I'll be installing Theater tomorrow.

• Like 2

Snapper

I would do this today if Emby Theater had better Netflix integration.  By that I mean a way to control Netflix playback with a remote.  I know this isn't the fault of Emby, but it's still a deal killer for me until I can find a suitable alternative.  As it stands now I am stuck on Win 8.1 until MS drops support, or the Emby team drops support of Emby WMC.

Edited by Snapper
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I would do this today if Emby Theater had better Netflix integration.  By that I mean a way to control Netflix playback with a remote.  I know this isn't the fault of Emby, but it's still a deal killer for me until I can find a suitable alternative.  As it stands now I am stuck on Win 8.1 until MS drops support, or the Emby team drops support of Emby WMC.

That's not likely to be possible as Netflix no longer offers an open API for making netflix clients and their win 8.1 app is not exactly remote control friendly.

Snapper

That's not likely to be possible as Netflix no longer offers an open API for making netflix clients and their win 8.1 app is not exactly remote control friendly.

Exactly, it's an unfortunate reality for anyone that wishes to use Netflix on an HTPC.  Hopefully Netflix will update their app for Windows 10 knowing that WMC support is gone, but I won't hold my breath.  Right now the most plausible solution seems to be HDMI passthrough with an Xbox One, or an Emby app for the Xbox One.  I would rather not buy an Xbox One for every TV though.  The lightweight devices like Roku continue to get more powerful too, so those may be a more attractive option in a few years.  We also have to see what the new Apple TV will offer.

• Like 1

Netflix works very well on my Nexus Player, Fire TV and Roku devices.  That is where they will be concentrating their efforts in the future I'm sure.

Koleckai Silvestri

Exactly, it's an unfortunate reality for anyone that wishes to use Netflix on an HTPC.  Hopefully Netflix will update their app for Windows 10 knowing that WMC support is gone, but I won't hold my breath.  Right now the most plausible solution seems to be HDMI passthrough with an Xbox One, or an Emby app for the Xbox One.  I would rather not buy an Xbox One for every TV though.  The lightweight devices like Roku continue to get more powerful too, so those may be a more attractive option in a few years.  We also have to see what the new Apple TV will offer.

How do you control Netflix on your XBOX One? That is Microsoft's replacement for Windows Media Center. Microsoft want everyone building video apps on the XBOX One so families spend thousands on consoles. Hopefully there will eventually be Emby TV for the XBOX One.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

SikSlayer

I'm going to keep using WMC until I can't anymore. Nothing else ever did what it does for CableCARD in such an elegant way. As great as Emby, Kodi, and so many other solutions are, none have or possibly ever will be able to address that.

Emby Theater IS getting better and better, and looking to make MB3 for WMC useless (if it ever gets full MCE remote working, including the info button without having to change anything, Media Portal does it, but oddly, Kodi can't). Seems like my Win 7 HTPC will be a simple DVR as I move the rest of my HTPC functions to Windows 10.

Edited by SikSlayer
  • Like 2

writersblock73

There is a developer, going by the name of Marc Davis, who continues to work on the excellent Amazon Prime plugin for Windows Media Center.  He also keeps up pretty regularly on fixes, which tells me his level of enthusiasm might be well directed toward Emby if approached.  The Amazon plugin works within Silverlight in much the same manner as the WMC Netflix plugin.  In the offchance his work is new to you, Dear Reader, here's a link to where he hosts this addon.

http://sharepointsnapple.com/amazonmceaddin/

I don't know him personally or even if his skills might prove useful for plugin development, but... well... what's the worst that could come out of throwing his name out there?

• Like 1

wiretap

I love the direction Emby is heading. The growing Live TV options are keeping me interested and I became a lifetime supporter through donation. Hopefully we can add CableCARD support at a later date, or have a plugin that piggybacks off someone else's app other than WMC. It is a shame the industry has made it so difficult to get encrypted cable TV working on the PC. Not too long ago in my area Comcast cut off all their ClearQAM channels so you must either activate a CableCARD or own one of their boxes to view even basic cable. 

Edited by wiretap
  • Like 1

saitoh183

I love the direction Emby is heading. The growing Live TV options are keeping me interested and I became a lifetime supporter through donation. Hopefully we can add CableCARD support at a later date, or have a plugin that piggybacks off someone else's app other than WMC. It is a shame the industry has made it so difficult to get encrypted cable TV working on the PC. Not too long ago in my area Comcast cut off all their ClearQAM channels so you must either activate a CableCARD or own one of their boxes to view even basic cable.

There is next pvr and mediaportal and emby tv(which will expand to cable card)
  • Like 1

wiretap

There is next pvr and mediaportal and emby tv(which will expand to cable card)

I'm aware, but they only support copy freely channels.

Snapper

How do you control Netflix on your XBOX One? That is Microsoft's replacement for Windows Media Center. Microsoft want everyone building video apps on the XBOX One so families spend thousands on consoles. Hopefully there will eventually be Emby TV for the XBOX One.

I use the Netflix app from the Xbox One app store.  The Xbox One supports IR commands, so I use my Harmony remote with the Xbox One profile loaded on my remote to control the Netflix app.

TrainAss

How is this the fault of Emby and the clients? Netflix is its own app, developed by its own team. Holding Emby at fault for a limitation with Netfix isn't really fair. That's like holding Ford at fault for your old beater of a car got a flat tire.

I'd just be happy with a lookie-like MBC version of MBT. One that uses apps but also more importantly Themes ...The themes made by Lee are perfect .they look good, work good, compliment the coverart & logos and one the main reasons i'm still using MBC  

TheShanMan

How is it that XBMC has a Netflix plugin but Emby can't? Since the WMC Netflix app died a couple of days ago (at least in WMC7, not sure about 8), I'm having to figure out my path forward for the sake of my family members. It sure would be nice if Emby was that path. For all I know it could be way more trouble than it's worth. For all I know the XBMC plugin is hacky and has a poor user experience. So by no means am I saying "how dare Emby not provide this", but since some people believe it's essentially not possible, it's at least worth calling that into question in case there is something to be learned from what that plugin is doing.

How is it that XBMC has a Netflix plugin but Emby can't? Since the WMC Netflix app died a couple of days ago (at least in WMC7, not sure about 8), I'm having to figure out my path forward for the sake of my family members. It sure would be nice if Emby was that path. For all I know it could be way more trouble than it's worth. For all I know the XBMC plugin is hacky and has a poor user experience. So by no means am I saying "how dare Emby not provide this", but since some people believe it's essentially not possible, it's at least worth calling that into question in case there is something to be learned from what that plugin is doing.

The xbmc plugin is a hack that pops open a web browser to play using the netflix web site. Considering that there is a netflix app on pretty much every device around, I cannot see why anyone would want to do that. I think you are better off with a set top box like android tv or fire tv, which will allow you to enjoy the emby app and dedicated netflix app.

• Like 3

TheShanMan

Well that sorta stinks but then again at least it is available. A set top box option sounds great, but I've already invested in my HTPC setup so I don't really relish the thought of spending more to go in a new direction.

AdrianW

Well that sorta stinks but then again at least it is available. A set top box option sounds great, but I've already invested in my HTPC setup so I don't really relish the thought of spending more to go in a new direction.

The Netflix Win 8 app is usable - I have a button on my Harmony's LCD that opens the Netflix app. I can be in WMC, press the Netflix button and I'm in Netflix, and then pressing Abort on the remote gets me back to WMC again. I'm using an AutoHotKey script to emulate mouse movements from button presses on the remote.

I've pinned the Netflix app on my Taskbar as the second icon - then sending the keystroke Win-2 will open Netflix.

yea that's a good point. if you're on windows just use the netflix app. there is a plugin to launch it from Emby Theater. 

TrainAss

Chromecast? Tiny hidden HDMI device that you can cast your Netflix (or YouTube) to easily. Also works as a backup HTPC for Emby should your primary unit go down for whatever reason.

• Like 1

TheShanMan

I'm not saying there are no options for me, just no good options. I have a chromecast on another tv. I also have a bluray player. But those options don't compare to an HTPC based option because they require switching TV inputs and switching receiver inputs which is annoying to me and double annoying to my family (if they manage to remember how to switch). Plus chromecast requires use of a mobile device.