FTV Stick "Cannot play this video file"

dragon2611

dragon2611

Using the new emby app on my fireTV stick, I've had it several times now where part way through watching something it will stop playing with an error stating the file cannot be played.

The strange thing is if I hit resume it will start playing again from where it left off and usually play the rest of the file perfectly happily.

CBers

I've seen that a few times as well, but it's always seemed to have been repositioning in the stream (FF/RW).

Perhaps post the server and transcode log at the time of the problem.

Yes, post the transcode log.  My guess is that the server stopped delivering the content temporarily or just fell behind.

dragon2611

Actually now that you mention it i think most of the times it happened I had either paused or rw/ff.

Don't think its the server falling behind the orange bar for transcode progress was way ahead in the server dashboard and was showing some 90fps.

Posted from mobile

dragon2611

WiFi issue?

Can't rule it out, it just seems strange it usually only happens once per video and usually fairly early on (I.e after a few minutes) yet if I resume playback it plays the rest of the video fine.

I think the FireTV stick is on 2.4ghz at the moment, although there is an AP in the same room as it.

In theory I could connect it to the 5Ghz 11AC radio although that's used for a wireless bridge so I tend to keep most clients on 2.4Ghz

dragon2611

Right this Isn't a Wi-Fi issue as it also happened on the FireTV downstairs which is hard-wired.

It's also not an ISP issue at least at the client end (Emby server is remote) as I've tried routing the traffic over another connection and it's not helped.

(Emby server is remote) 

That's an important little tidbit.  It could be any temporary disruption or clogging of traffic over the vast network between the client and server.  What bitrate are you requesting?

dragon2611

Full Bitrate so as much as 15Mbit/s

Server end is 1Gbit/s (Limited to 200Mbit/s by router CPU)

Client end has 80/20 VDSL and 152/12 Cable available.

Edit:

Ah-Ha found the problem with this particular file it's not that the bandwidth it's that it needs to be transcoded and I'm only hitting 34fps on the transcoder, obliviously if that Dips because the load on the server changes it's probably going to cause the issue.

Edited by dragon2611

So you are requesting up to 15Mb/s over the internet?  And have 1Gb/s upload at the server end?

What is the bitrate setting in the actual app?

dragon2611

That particular file is just under 8Mbit/s, App is set to whatever the highest setting was.

The uplink at the server end is 1Gbit/s but the firewall/router I have on there at the moment runs out of grunt at around 200Mbit/s, I will be rather upset if I find it out it's congestion their end to say the least.

With this particular file it looks like it was trying to transcode and the server itself couldn't keep up (C2750), the one I was playing yesterday however was a lower quality source and also was transcoding at 90+ FPS

It feels like the FireTV app was written on the assumption that both the client and the server are on the same LAN and therefore doesn't seem to deal with caching/buffering very well.

Koleckai Silvestri

That particular file is just under 8Mbit/s, App is set to whatever the highest setting was.

The uplink at the server end is 1Gbit/s but the firewall/router I have on there at the moment runs out of grunt at around 200Mbit/s, I will be rather upset if I find it out it's congestion their end to say the least.

With this particular file it looks like it was trying to transcode and the server itself couldn't keep up (C2750), the one I was playing yesterday however was a lower quality source and also was transcoding at 90+ FPS

It feels like the FireTV app was written on the assumption that both the client and the server are on the same LAN and therefore doesn't seem to deal with caching/buffering very well.

You need to set the app to request a value lower than the 200 Mbits/s that the pipe allows. 

dragon2611

You need to set the app to request a value lower than the 200 Mbits/s that the pipe allows. 

Shouldn't make a difference given I don't have any content that's anything near that bitrate.

But you have no idea what is between your server and your client.  I wouldn't be that surprised to encounter a hiccup or two attempting to stream 8-10MB/s videos over the internet.

The app can handle either situation, but you may need to lower the requesting max bitrate to account for the remote situation.  The default is high because the vast majority of people will be using it locally with the server.

What happens if you lower the bitrate in the app to 5?

mgworek

I am having the  "Cannot play this video file" locally. I cannot access my logs at this time but just wanted to mention it. I will post a new topic when I can.

It is so far only happening to one show. I tried 3 different episodes and non played. Everything else I tried plays fine. This show will play fine on the web client and kodi plugin.

The show title does have commas in the title so my folder had commas in it. It's the only thing I can think of that is unique. 

dragon2611

But you have no idea what is between your server and your client.  I wouldn't be that surprised to encounter a hiccup or two attempting to stream 8-10MB/s videos over the internet.

The app can handle either situation, but you may need to lower the requesting max bitrate to account for the remote situation.  The default is high because the vast majority of people will be using it locally with the server.

What happens if you lower the bitrate in the app to 5?

I do not, but a hiccup is one thing, dropping back to the menu is another if it runs out of cache that is not an elegant way to handle things.

8Mbit/s should be sustainable when I have 200Mbit/s + theoretical bandwidth available and whilst I don't expect to hit that at peak time I do expect more than 8Mbit/s,  Btw a superHD 1080p Netflix stream hits around 15Mbit/s

I think I might stick to using Kodi for now, it seems to handle it a bit better, direct plays more codecs and the issue I was having with the recent update for the emby plugin has been fixed 

That message is coming from the Android player - not our app.  The OS/player is managing that and, at some point, it gives up.

dragon2611

That message is coming from the Android player - not our app.  The OS/player is managing that and, at some point, it gives up.

Any chance you could implement the external player support like the old mediabrowser android app had?

Sorry but I don't know if that's something that's fairly easy or if it would require a lot of work.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Shouldn't make a difference given I don't have any content that's anything near that bitrate.

Sorry, You're right. Long day.

• Like 1

Any chance you could implement the external player support like the old mediabrowser android app had?

Sorry but I don't know if that's something that's fairly easy or if it would require a lot of work.

Perhaps at some point but I think that will be an extremely little-used feature on the target devices.  Lots of other features will probably be higher priority.

dragon2611

Perhaps at some point but I think that will be an extremely little-used feature on the target devices.  Lots of other features will probably be higher priority.

Ok, not really a problem as Kodi + the Emby plugin seems to work quite well for my use case so I'll probably just stick to using that for now.