Several issues with the new AndroidTV app

Doonga

Doonga

Hi, first off the new app looks great! I have run into several issues though. This is all on a Nexus Player.

1. When you play a video, it's marked as watched if you stop it early, no matter how much of the video has played. You can't stop it part way through and resume it on a different device.

2. Everything transcodes no matter if there are external subtitles or not.

3. I can't reliably recreate this, but sometimes when I skip ahead I get a message that the video was not found. It will continue to play but there is a spinner on the screen that won't go away.

4. Videos seem to end about 10 seconds early.

5. If you are hitting the skip ahead many times to get to a later part of the video, the UI will disappear and skip to whatever you got to when the UI went away. That's if #3 doesn't happen.

6. Viewed indicators don't stay on the item unless you exit out of the section and go back in. They do show when you select it, but as soon as you go back the indicator goes away.

7. If you play some music in the Google Play Music app and pause it then go to watch a video in Emby, if you hit the Play/Pause button on the remote, the video will pause but the music will start playing again.

8. The auto play next episode picks the very next episode not necessarily the next unwatched episode. This actually triggered issue 3 but I wasn't logging.

Sorry for the laundry list, I've been playing around with this all afternoon. :)

Log attached with most of these recreated. (Except 3, 7, 8)

server-63566278501.txt

Edited by Doonga

1,3, and 6 sound like there is something wrong with your setup.  Like we don't have adequate media info on these items.

2 is not really true. Only things that require transcoding do.  However, it may be that most stuff does depending on how you have it encoded.  Can you provide a specific example (with media info from web client and transcode log) of something you think shouldn't transcode that is?

4 is an unfortunate necessity right now due to an issue at the server end.

5 I didn't really understand...

7 That is the Google play music app.  Sounds like they designed it to start going again where ever we told it to stop.  We don't have control over what it does there.

8 That is by design as 90%+ of people will be watching episodes in order.

Can you please confirm the version of the app you have?  It is in the Settings page.

Doonga

I'm on 1.0.31g. I did reinstall the server today due to rearranging a few virtual machines. That may explain 1, 3 and 6.

I'll do some more research on 2.

Sounds good on 4, 7 and 8.

For 5, I was clicking the skip ahead over and over to move a long way through a video and the controls interface that's on the screen disappears like it timed out even though I was actively using it.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Thanks. Your feedback is important and as we get a feel for what people want we will continue to refine and improve.

• Like 1

For 5, I was clicking the skip ahead over and over to move a long way through a video and the controls interface that's on the screen disappears like it timed out even though I was actively using it.

How much time was elapsing between clicks?  It can take several seconds for the video to seek.  Were you waiting for the seek to complete before hitting it again?

Doonga

How much time was elapsing between clicks?  It can take several seconds for the video to seek.  Were you waiting for the seek to complete before hitting it again?

No I was trying to go forward about an hour so I was clicking rather quickly. The video didn't have an issue just the information popup that has the button disappears before I get to where I'm seeking. When it disappears the video jumps to the time I got to, then I can keep going. Certainly not a showstopper, it's just an odd behavior if you're trying to seek far into a video.

Okay.  There is obviously some situation there that is not timing right but it is a tricky one.

For now, using the chapter seek would be a much better way to advance that far into a video.

Doonga

Didn't even think of that. Thank you! I'm so used to fast forwarding, old habits die hard. :)