No Emby after Windows Restart

SoMuchMedia

SoMuchMedia

I get "No servers are available to connect to. If you've been invited to share a server, make sure to accept it below or by clicking the link in the email." after I restart windows.  It happened before and I somehow bounced around and got it back, checked (I thought) it was check to autostart, but no luck.  How do I get back it.  I had everything going so well I just paid up for life time member, but now I am DOA.

Thanks!

John

It looks like you are trying to login to the web interface via Emby connect?

I would login to your local server using http://localhost:8096 (substitute host and port as needed)

Then you can look at your local user and see if it's mapped to Emby Connect.

SoMuchMedia

Thanks.

When I try localhost or by machine name (Windows 8.1 box), I get page cannot be displayed.  When I look with IIS Manager, I see the default web site is stopped and I cannot start it.

John

Ok, then it looks like the first step is to make sure your Emby server is running before trying to access it.

SoMuchMedia

I know, but how do I start it?  There was no tray icon.  I 'fixed' it today by re-installing the server software so now I have a tray icon.  How do I make sure it will be there when I restart?

Thanks.

John

SoMuchMedia

I confirmed that is checked but I thought it was before.  I see the note:

This will start the tray icon on windows startup. To start the windows service, uncheck this and run the service from the windows control panel. Please note that you cannot run both at the same time, so you will need to exit the tray icon before starting the service.

What is the name of the service?  I cannot seem to find it.  So I can start it next time without having to install again.

I am ripping right now so I do not want to restart just yet to test.

If you are running as a service, you don't want to check that option (as noted there).

You will not get a tray icon if you are running as a service.

Which way are you trying to run the app?

SoMuchMedia

I restarted and again, I have no tray icon.  I will run it anyway I can to get it to run when I restart the system.  What does the tray icon actually run?  I will drop and icon on the desktop if I need to, just so I can restart without installing again.

Did you read my post?  Are you trying to run as a service or not?

SoMuchMedia

As I mentioned - I will run it anyway I can to get it to run when I restart the system. Currently the only way I can rerun it is to install it again, so as far as I can see I have no choice between running it as a service or as a tray icon because the tray icon does not appear work and I do not see a service name.  Is there some log I can look at as to why I have no tray icon?  Let's say I want to run it as a tray icon.  How do I make that happen?  There where no questions from the setup program so where does the tray icon program get stored during a default install?  I.E. I do not restart that often, so I will run it manually if I have to, but right now the only option that seems to work is running setup again.

It installs into the first Admin account it can find and there is a Start Menu group created (but, if you are on Win 8 of course that doesn't help much).

On Win 8 you can search apps and find it and then pin it to your task bar or start menu.

If you are running as a normal application, then the admin user needs to log in for the program to run - because normal programs have to run under some user.  If you want to run as a service, then you simply configure the service to start automatically (delayed start is usually best) - and give it proper user credentials that can access your media.

But, if you run as a service, there will be no tray icon.

FrostByte

Look for MediaBrowser in your services, make sure it's set to how you want to run Emby based on what ebr said.

Edit: it's most likely set to stopped if you don't recall ever setting it.  The install doesn't give you a choice and running as a service is something you have to do manually to set up

Edited by FrostByte