From MB2 to MB3 - questions

ragg987

ragg987

Hi there, long time MB2 user and now thinking about miving to MB3. I have installed the server on my Windows 2008 R2 server and am testing with a WMC client on Windows 8.1. Some challenges, can anyone please point me in the right direction...

Background: I most of my media are mkv files in folders according to the media. e.g.

\\share\video

...\12 Years a Slave (2013)

......\12 Years a slave.mkv

......\movie.xml

......\folder.jpg

......\backdrop.jpg

Problem 1: Grouping of media

I had previously been able to simply create a folder hierarchy and this would create a hiearchy for the browser client. This no longer seems to work, the MB3 client is 'flattenening' the structure out.

Directory structure:

...\Batman series

......\Batman (1989)

......\Batman Begins

So in MB3 I see the 2 individual films without the hiearchy. How to fix it?

Problem 2: Mixed TV and Movies

In MB2, I could mix media types (e.g. TV and Movies) in the same single directory structure and use the xml files to show the metadata and structure. In MB3, the TV structure is being 'flattened'

Directory structure:

...\Africa (2013)

......\Series 01

......\Series.xml

.........\Africa S01E01 1080i50.mkv

.........\Africa S01E02 1080i50.mkv

In MB3 i see individual files and no hierachy - help.

How do I sort this - do I have to restructure all my directories and create collections manually?

Logos302

Problem 1 can be corrected in a couple of ways.  But I like doing it on the server.  Go to the server logon to the web, click on the little person icon on the right. and select my preferences from there you can select how you want your library to be shown, Smart groups (As I like to call them) or folder view.  

As for problem two I'm not sure what you want a picture might help in this case. (guessing here) I think with this setup you need to used mixed (It might have another name now) as you media type (again I'm not totally sure about this next part, it might figure it out by it self) and then in the media editor select what each item is, but I'm not sure as I have my moves in one folder and my tv in another and never shall the two meet :).

Good day,

For problem 1: 

A: Use the plugin (download from the emby catalog)

B: Or use the tag please look at the wiki for that.

For problem 2:

It should be "Season". like Season 01 ... etc.

My best

Deathsquirrel

Emby doesn't require grouping things by folder any longer.  In fact it's not recommended to manage collections that way.  Move your batman movies, for example, out into the same folder structure you'd use for any other film.  Once that's done and everything is scanned, you can group them together again in the UI by creating collections.  You can create the collections manually or uing a plugin to automate it.  I recommend installing the plugin, letting it create the initial boxsets, and then removing it and manging things by hand in the future.  The plugin will use the collection data from TMDB and you may not agree with all its decisions so once the base collections are created you may choose to make some changes.  Having the plugin after that might be counter-productive.

For example, TMDB groups the Star Trek films into three separate collections.  I group them into one.  The plugin created all 3 of course so I deleted 2, edited one remaining one with new images and text, and then added all the series movies into that one collection.  TMDB wants some of my anime films in collections but I don't like anime in my main Movies view so I delete those collections and keep my Anime in a separate library.   Etc.

Emby supports a mixed type of library definition.  It's commonly used for Anime and Documentaries that mix items that would otherwise get split between TV and movies.  You just set the media type when you add the library.

I don't know if your existing metadata in the mixed folders will be an issue.  If the results aren't too your liking you might making a copy of some of the content in a new library folder, clearing everything out but images and video files, and adding that as a test library to compare.

ragg987

Thanks, both. The "legacy" setting on the client gave me what I had in MB2 and did not have to make any changes to the directories or files, so am away now.

ragg987

Okay, I have now (I think) done a full "migration" to the new Emby way of working. I backed up, then deleted my old metadata and images leaving just the folders and media files.

I then flattened the manual folder hierarchy and let Emby loose on the folders using the mixed content type of folder.

So after a lot of time it had done it's work and then I used the boxset plugin. Finally had to tweak it a bit, manual boxsets, missing MPAA, and missing art (primarily backgrounds). Fiddly but we are done and I now have it working.

One tip for missing backgrounds - I found that approx 30% of my movies did not fetch these, and the only way to make it happen was to manually download a single background then advanced refresh the whole library and it downloaded a few more. Bug?

One question: as a consequence of the migration, I can no longer sort by Date Added in the WMC client. I can see that this is a field in the NFO file and seems to be populated by the file datestamp. So far so good.

But the sort option called Date seems to use some other criteria - I think it is based on date added to the Emby database?

Any way I can resolve this?

But the sort option called Date seems to use some other criteria - I think it is based on date added to the Emby database?

Any way I can resolve this?

554971d1a470c_dateadded2.png

ragg987

Hi ebr, just re-checked that setting and it is already at file creation date - I think this was the default and I did not change it. Is this a bug?

ragg987

Update - it works today, not sure what has changed but the recent items and sort by date are both using the right date. So far so good.

• 3 weeks later...
scottd34

Are you putting the movie's release year in ( ) after the title?  I had a lot of problems with wrong graphics downloads when I dont do that.

Deathsquirrel

Definitely do it when you have more than one movie of the same title.  The rest of the time it's a nice to have.