Best choice for Madvr?

pclausen

pclausen

So with MadVR now working in Kodi, does it mean that platform is the future front-end to run on a powerful HTPC connected to a 4k display?

I don't care about live TV support, I just want to be able to browse my Movie and TV Series collection from my server and have the best possible picture (720/1080 up scaled to 4k using MadVR on my GTX 970) and the best sound (lossless pass-through of all formats up to and including Dolby Atmos / DTS-X.

So what is the current state of the art for accomplishing this?

Emby Theater is not dead. If you want MadVr it sounds like either will be a great option.

AdrianW

Another option is to use MPC-HC (with MadVR) as an external player with Emby Classic.

pclausen

True, but that means running Windows 7 or older since WMC was not standard after that.  I'm on Windows 10 already and not looking back.  :)

If your HTPC is dedicated to media playback, I think the most perfect solution would be "EmbyBuntu" with a ported version of MadVR.

A striped down Windows 10 install running just Emby Theater and MadVR is a close 2nd I think, which is what I'm currently running.  I just wish the GUI was a little more flexible and could be setup to take better advantage of the real-estate of a 4k display.  For example, I have a 84" 4K TV, and navigating my TV Shows with all of them displayed in a single row of very large icons does seem very inefficient, especially when there are 100's of them.  Movies with 1000's of them is the same thing.

The web interface shines in this regard, although I wish I could disable the "feature" that does not allow more than 10 movie cases from showing horizontally at a time.  Once you reach 10, they just keep getting larger and larger as you expand the browser window.  18 movie cases across is about right on a 4k display.  TV shows are similar and currently only allow 6 horizontally.  9 would be better for a 4k screen.

Anyway, hopefully Luke and the gang are hard at work rewriting Emby Theater to make it more like the web GUI and overcoming the restrictions mentioned above for large 4k displays, let alone 4k projectors.

I really enjoy browsing my movies like a "stamp collection" and this is also a great tool to spot titles with missing/wrong covers and then go cleanup the related metadata.

Btw, I run CoverArt, Auto Box Sets, Movie & TV Theme Videos & Songs and love them all.

Edited by pclausen

Deathsquirrel

Check your viewing preferences.  MBT can display 2 rows of icons if you like.  Set the view format to Poster wall.