Playlists from Windows Media Player (.wpl files)

tonytiger1

tonytiger1

At one time I have had windows media player playlists show up in Media browser 3 classic. I'm not sure if I had updated to the most recent version of Emby that the playlists disappeared, but the playlists had disappeared and I cannot get them to show up again anywhere.

Can someone explain to me what has happened, and, or, how to get them back?

I am using the latest version of Emby classic on a windows 7 32bit HTPC.

Any help would be appreciated

Anthony

they cause problems with other apps before they can come back we need to make sure they work with the entire Emby universe.

• 8 months later...

We have our own playlist implementation now.

Eventually, we will probably also have the ability to import from other formats.

• 1 month later...
hedgehogg

So you're saying that after waiting patiently for an import or compatibility of PLS / WPL files it now isn't going to happen? Having the ability to create playlists is one thing the ability to play a 500 song playlist I created a few years back is quite a different matter.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can I create any playlist with Emby ?

Yes! You can create playlists from the emby web interface, android app, ios app, emby theater, and others.

• 2 weeks later...
DonBB

New user.  Emby seems to be a great product.  Can the file type Emby generates when it creates a playlist be edited with Notepad or a spread sheet app?  Can I cut and past songs into it?  Thanks.

New user.  Emby seems to be a great product.  Can the file type Emby generates when it creates a playlist be edited with Notepad or a spread sheet app?  Can I cut and past songs into it?  Thanks.

Hi, yes you can edit the playlist xml file if you like. Just be aware any files you add need to also be present in the emby library.

• 2 months later...
jriker1

Just noticed playlists now.  Always did my playlists thru WMP and used my standard Xbox 360 music option to play them.  Should I be able to create new playlists thru the Metadata Manager and these show up somewhere in Emby on my Xbox 360?

Thanks

JR

You can use the emby web interface to create playlists, android app, ios app, android tv app.

• Like 1

FrostByte

You can use the emby web interface to create playlists, android app, ios app, android tv app.

BTW: thank you for putting the ability to scroll through a playlist >200 back.  Very much appreciated :)

• 2 months later...
jriker1

If I manually edit the playlist xml file how do you get the playlist to update thru the web interface?  Still shows the one song that I originally put in there to test it and doesn't reflect the fact that I manually took it out and put in a bunch of entries.  Note if it works was easy to take the WMP playlist and convert a couple tags around all the entries and paste it into the Emby one.

Thanks.

JR

Ok this type of manual editing is not a heavily tested practice. I would suggest using the web interface.

jriker1

Real question is, if you restart the server, even do a minor Emby update, restart the server, do a refresh of the data, restart the server, why is it still seeing only the two entries that were in in the xml file before manual edit?  Is the xml data a temp editing place and Emby storing and reading it from the SQL Lite database?

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

As a side topic.  So I manually adding 20 entries into the playlist thru the web interface.  Even though it sticks, the xml file is untouched by any changes I make anymore so even though the "Path" variable points where I'm looking for the playlist, that file is not being updated.  Plus the folder xml file in the playlist folder is not showing the playlist folder anymore either.

JR

• 1 year later...
The next release of Emby Server will support importing playlists of the following formats:

• m3u

• pls

• wpl

• zpl

Enjoy.