Clear Metadata From A single Media Folder...

Dodgy Bob

Dodgy Bob

Hey folks,

I can't seem to find any info or a button for it in 'Metadata Manager', so can I and if so, how do I, clear all metadata for a particular media folder?

The reason why is this: I wasn't quick enough on the "Lock this item to prevent future changes" check box before Emby started auto-scraping the media folder, let alone, know where it was to click on it and consequently, a fair chunk of the media folder in question has been metadata'd! Of course, all the metadata that has been brought down is completely wrong and is messing everything up when I go to view the media folder via the Samsung App.

I've already gone through and deleted any and all XML and NFO files and any erroneous JPG files, but still the bad metadata is clogging up the good files.

Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated  :)

Kind regards,

Dodgy Bob

Dodgy Bob

Do an Advanced Refresh on the media folder and wait for it to complete.

Hey ebr,

Yeah, tried that, but that did not remove the metadata !? Is there a special trick to it ??  :S

Actually, I might remove the Media Folder in question and re-add it, is that likely to work?

Regards,

Dodgy Bob

Well it isn't going to remove it it is going to refresh it - unless of course you have it locked.

I don't think there is a way to do specifically what you are asking.

Dodgy Bob

Well it isn't going to remove it it is going to refresh it - unless of course you have it locked.

I don't think there is a way to do specifically what you are asking.

Dang! Righto then...

Well, as suspected at the end of the refresh, all that had happened was that the refresh had put back all of the *.NFO and *.XML files and filled lots of my sub- media folders with erroneous metadata  :(  Although, doing this did regenerate or at least generate for some of the media files, posters that were not there previously, but not for all which is strange !? And no thumbnails were created either !? Is the thumbnail part because I have the folders "locked"?

Anyhow, so instead to remove the metadata, this is what I have done so far...

01.) in Emby Server, go to Library

02.) Expand out Media Folder in question

03.) Removed individual Media Locations

04.) Scan Library

05.) Removed Media Folder

06.) Scan Library

07.) Restart Emby Server

08.) Back in Library, added Media Folder (I used the same name, perhaps I should have used a new name though?)

09.) Went into Metadata Manager of a user with the correct access

10.) On the newly added Media Folder set it to "Lock this item to prevent future changes" and click save!

11.) Back to Emby Server and back into Library

12.) Re-Added one of the Media Locations (which has been emptied now)

13.) Scan Library

14.) Added back (i.e. moved back) one of the sub- media folders to the Media Location of the main Media Folder

15.) Scan Library (because if the lock is on the root of the Media Folder, it shouldn't scrape right?)

16.) Looking good; in looking at the actual folder structure, metadata appears to be gone! No *.xml or *.nfo files and because of the lock, it would appear as though the Metadata won't be coming back either!  :)

17.) I spoke to soon  :(  At looking in the web browser, the test sub- media folder has actually been metadata'd! Is it just picking up metadata from a cache somewhere is it? This is what I don't want. . .

So, ebr, if you're saying Emby doesn't do this at the moment, then I guess this now becomes a feature request then?

In the mean time though, how does one remove wrong and/or unwanted metadata? Individually, I think I know how to go about this, but I'm not wanting to go the individual route! I'll be here forever doing that if I had too...  :S

Kind regards,

Dodgy Bob

if you have items locked then yes, it will be very limited as to what the refreshing does

Dodgy Bob

if you have items locked then yes, it will be very limited as to what the refreshing does

Hey Luke,

And that's understandable, I can live with that. But yeah, I'm wanting to get rid of the metadata though!

So am I right in thinking from your's and from ebr's comments that yeah, removing metadata cannot be done officially at the moment?

Any chance someone can let me know how to expunge metadata unofficially then please?

Regards,

Dodgy Bob

See my posts in your feature requests.  I think all your problems will be solved by properly identifying your items as "Home Videos".

Dodgy Bob

See my posts in your feature requests.  I think all your problems will be solved by properly identifying your items as "Home Videos".

OK, I'll head over to them to reply there more fully. But yes, sorry, that was something that I had not disclosed. Currently this Media Folder is "Content type: Unset (mixed content)", as not only does this Media Folder contain videos but it does also contain plain audio files, i.e. MP3s. So the question will be, will these MP3s still be available under this collection if the Content Type is set to 'Home videos'? But, like I said I'll chase this up in my other posts where you have replied ebr.

Thanks ebr   :)

For those following along or looking here for answers, these are the other posts that ebr and I are referring to:

1. Under Feature Requests: "Server - Delete Unwanted or Erroneous Metadata..."

and also

2. Under Feature Requests: "Server - Manually Extract Poster/Thumbnail Images..."

Thanks once again ebr and Luke.

Regards,

Dodgy Bob

Edited by Dodgy Bob