Folder View - Is it dead?

JeremyG

JeremyG

I generally use media browser directly from my WMC device.  But recently I've been using it more from other devices, including the just-released FireTV app.   I find it infuriating that I cannot have the folder view on most of the clients (even HTTP????)

Why do I want folder view so bad? 

• Partly because I just like the way that I categorize stuff.   I like a movie in a SINGLE genre folder.   I don't care that someone decided that "Avatar" is Action/Adventure AND fantasy.  To me it's just plain "Fantasy", and I don't want it showing up in other categories.
  •  
  • Additionally I keep all my kids movies separate.  In my systems I have 4 main collections.  (Movies, TV, Kids and Documentaries)  I don't like having kids movies cluttering up my grown-up movies.   If I "How to Tame your Dragon" shows up directly next to "The Hunger Games".  They might both technically be fantasy, but they are completely different animals, and I hate that Media browser acts like so many other services where it thinks it knows better than I do how I want to view my content.

Is there any hope of getting folder view back as a standard?  Or any way to emulate similar behavior, without manually tagging all my content?

have you opened the web interface with the latest version? it takes you through a tour and teaches you how to customize this.

Deathsquirrel

Not only can you have a folder view but editing movie genres is a piece of cake in the metadata editor.  If you don't like the internet metadata you can choose to not download it or download and edit as you wish.

You can be as infurated as you like but it's entirely optional.

Koleckai Silvestri

0xEyWx0.jpg

The collections under Movies, TV, and Music in the image above are all folders.

legallink

Koleckai, what view/theme is that? Or do you have customized icons? If so, which ones? It looks good.

Edited by legallink

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai, what view/theme is that? Or do you have customized icons? If so, which ones? It looks good.

That is the web client with custom CSS and Coverart applied to the thumbnails.

legallink

If you are so inclined and willing, would love to see that CSS.  What settings did you choose in Coverart?

Looks like a Sapphire treatment on the thumbs.  I think he may have also tricked the server into auto-generating some of those images and then grabbed them and put them in.

• Like 1

KidNamedCudi

0xEyWx0.jpg

The collections under Movies, TV, and Music in the image above are all folders.

How exactly did you get it so that there are only 3 folders showing? I would love for mine to be slimmed down but currently mine shows folders, live tv, work out, channels, movies, tv, music and playlist. I would really like to slim it down to something like you have.

Koleckai Silvestri

If you are so inclined and willing, would love to see that CSS.  What settings did you choose in Coverart?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18892-my-views-changes/

Looks like a Sapphire treatment on the thumbs.  I think he may have also tricked the server into auto-generating some of those images and then grabbed them and put them in.

This is correct. I enabled the "Dynamic Views for Users" in the %appdata%/mediabrowser/config/system.xml file. This allowed me to get the server to dynamically generate the folder images. I then used Chrome's developer tools to extract the URL of the image (since they aren't actually stored anywhere) and load them in a new tab so they could be saved to disk. These were then applied to the individual folders using the metadata editor in the server.

The treatment being used is the Sapphire one.

How exactly did you get it so that there are only 3 folders showing? I would love for mine to be slimmed down but currently mine shows folders, live tv, work out, channels, movies, tv, music and playlist. I would really like to slim it down to something like you have.

You can control what shows up as a folder in the web client. The changes carry over to other various clients as well. Different users can have different views. For instance, most of my users only see Movies, TV, and Music. That makes the most sense to them. However they can change it if they want. 

To change your view, click on your user icon in the upper right of the web client. Select "My Preferences". On the first screen there is a section called My Views. By default, your views will be groups by content type. So Movies, TV, Music, Live TV are each content types. I don't use Live TV so it doesn't appear. If you uncheck the box to the left of any folder, it will appear separately. So just check the boxes, you don't want in the list. Uncheck those that you do want in the list. 

Save this. Then further down the screen you'll see view order so you can rearrange them how you like. There are other options on that screen as well so play with them until you get something you like. If you set up the preferences for your other users, you need to repeat this for each one.

• Like 2