Movie Collection question

rzero

A few months ago (not sure when), my collections stopped showing up.  All the movies are now showing up under movies. For Ex: I used to have a Harry Potter collection show up under movies. Now I have all the individual movies show up. Same for lord of the rings, hobbit airplane etc.... I tried every config option but nothing seems to work.  In the web client they show up in collections but they ALL show up in movies. Is this how its gonna be now? Is there a way to get it back to showing collections in movies? I searched around but could not find a definitive answer to this.

Thanks

Ron

Deathsquirrel

Log into the web client with the same user you're using in Emby Classic > click User Icon > click My Preferences > check the Group Movies Into Collections box > click OK.

Verify they show up as collections in the web client under the Movies view.  That should then carry over to the other clients.

• Like 1

DarkKniyt (John)

I started having the same problem after the last update.

I did as was suggested above and it did not work.

I did a complete re-install of Server and Classic and still can't get this to work.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Deathsquirrel

If your collections don't show correctly in the web UI I'd suggest a post on the server forum appropriate to your server platform...but in most such cases the problem seems to relate to people setting up their collections in [boxset] folders on disc instead of through the web UI or using the autoboxset pluging.  So that may be a place to start.

MndWrp

A lot of people seem to have this issue (myself included) and i sure hope they fix it sometime soon... i don't really feel like rearranging my whole collection system that used to work great...

I did as deathsquirrel (Big thanks for trying) suggested but it also did not work. I tried rebooting, reinstalling etc but nothing worked. It doesn't even work in the browser - although it does show up correctly in the collections folder. As Deathsquirrel mentioned (thanks for mentioning that critical info), I too started out with media browser 3 like 2 years ago. So all my collections use the [boxset] folder on disc. I have 64tb of movies and TV on a separate nasty (NAS4FREE - goodstuff!). Emby runs on its own separate server (Windows 7). Is it being suggested that I need to go through the Web ui and somehow redo All my collections? I tried the autoboxset plug in a few months ago and it really messed up my entire collection. It was a very bad experience. I see I'm not alone. I'm guessing this is a server problem. So maybe my next step is to post there.

Is there perhaps a help topic on this? Maybe a video. I haven't been able to find much on this topic. Any suggestions on where I might look?

Thanks to everyone for posting. I thought I was the only one with this problem.

Deathsquirrel

Creating boxsets on disc in folders with the [boxset] tag will work for basic functions, probably.  It's not the recommended course and they stopped testing it in new builds a long time ago.  It's recommended to have boxset movies in the same folder structure as any other movie and create the boxsets manually in the web ui or using the plugin to automate it.  Still, the disc based option should at least group the movies in most clients and the web ui I think.

I would do two things.  First create a collection using the web ui using two random movies that aren't in a [boxset] folder.  Give it any name you like, add the movies, and see if it shows up correctly.  Second post a description of your symptoms and include pics showing your folder structure for boxsets, including showing all the files in the root [boxset] folder on the server board.

MndWrp

The ui route works fine for creation but once you have that and want to have custom images and themes and whatnot for it, you kind of lose the logical place to put all this... locally in the collection folder itself

The web UI gives you an interface to modify images so that is not a problem.  Theme videos and music, however are not exposed anywhere in the UI at this time (probably a good enhancement request) but you can put them in the collection folders still.  They reside in data\collections.

DarkKniyt (John)

Is there anyway to continue to use MetaBrowser for creating Boxsets/Collections?

I admit I rarely use the Web-UI, but I find that MetaBrowser is much simpler and efficient to use for Collections.

Disregard...

I found that if you turn on Legacy Browsing this works.

Edited by DarkKniyt (John)

MndWrp

The web UI gives you an interface to modify images so that is not a problem. Theme videos and music, however are not exposed anywhere in the UI at this time (probably a good enhancement request) but you can put them in the collection folders still. They reside in data\collections.

The web ui does have that but it was nice to have the images picked up automatically as a regular movie does. But on that you're right, it is at least doable. The other options (video backdrops, themes etc) would get picked up automatically also before without having to move files around. I did mention some of this stuff to Luke before... does that constitute a feature request? [emoji6]

The new collection methods will definitely find metadata and images for collections.  The Auto Box Sets plug-in does it automatically and, if you create one manually, there is a check box to check that says "Search for metadata on tmdb" (or something like that).

Deathsquirrel

The new collection methods will definitely find metadata and images for collections.  The Auto Box Sets plug-in does it automatically and, if you create one manually, there is a check box to check that says "Search for metadata on tmdb" (or something like that).

You can also create a collection that has no online metadata.  The metadata editor will allow you to populate all the normal fields and images manually.

MndWrp

By 'pick up' i meant pick up the images stored locally in the collection folder. I got in the habit of providing my own custom images for everything i add to emby (I'm crazy like that..)

MndWrp

Bottom line.. i don't mind a bit of work to link stuff in emby if needed ... but i also want my folder structure to be logical and having movies that belong together in the same spot with all the corresponding stuff.. having a bit here and a bit somewhere else makes no sense to me.

Edited by MndWrp

DarkKniyt (John)

Legacy browsing... where is that? Or is it in metabrowser?

It's an option in the WMC MB Classic Configuration.

MndWrp

I did notice that in my 'mixed content' library sections the collections work fine as before.. it's in the movie section only that the problem resides

Deathsquirrel

By 'pick up' i meant pick up the images stored locally in the collection folder. I got in the habit of providing my own custom images for everything i add to emby (I'm crazy like that..)

You were talking abot collections created in the web ui.  There is no collection folder where the movies are stored in that scenario.  The server does create one in it's own cache area and I presume files you drop in there would be seen but adding them through the web ui will work for sure.

MndWrp

Via the web ui i can add images as ebr mentioned.. as far as the rest though i will have to wait for the developers to enhance the collections i guess.. or move my files to the server cache for now

Edited by MndWrp

MndWrp

You were talking abot collections created in the web ui. There is no collection folder where the movies are stored in that scenario. The server does create one in it's own cache area and I presume files you drop in there would be seen but adding them through the web ui will work for sure.

I usually did a bit of both before it stopped working. I created the collection via the ui and moved the resulting xml to the collection folder. It worked fine and needed very little leg work. The ui creation route does work very well and is much simpler than to use a third party software. For me anyway

I had the same issue, collections not working. Went into appdata roaming, deleted the collections. Opened the browse library, select each movie and added to a collection. The first one required selecting new and naming, then all others worked. Created two colections and they work.

553d48d514825_collections.png

Edited by dude8

MndWrp

They do work when created and stored in appdata .. the issue is when the collection metadata is stored in the filesystem with the actual movies.

Okay, I did a google search and found this thread. Then did what I posted and it worked. Now I realize this is for EMBY with WMC. I don't use WMC so I should not have even posted. My apologies.

No, its fine.  This thread actually should probably be over in the server section.