Offline Sync

totalhavoc

totalhavoc

Does the Android or Kindle app support offline sync yet? Taking the kid to Disney and wanted to load Emby on her Kindle fire so she can watch movies on the plane.

• 2 weeks later...
Kent

Hi, noticed the Emby client for Android showed up on the server s/w as a Sync target.  Tried it out, and it successfully converted and synced (as per the server Sync status for the job).  When I play it on my Samsung 5S, it shows Direct Streaming via the Server dashboard.

So query is, is this a prelim release and not fully function feature release?  I put my phone in airplane mode and the Emby app on the phone errored out in connected to the server, so I figure this is a prelim feature release and always connected is required.  Even then it's still streaming from my server instead of direct copy onto the Samsung?  Is that correct?

Thanks, looking forward to a full sync solution for local (offnet) playback!

Edit: confirmed that a local copy does exist via browser the Samsung file system, but not sure how Emby interacts with it at this point.

Edited by Kent

Kent

Awesome thanks ebr!  Good stuff...Android tablet on my Father's day wish list :)

Anyone have a suggestion?  :P

• 10 months later...
shorty1483

Hi,

Any news, for offline access with android emby app?

No, currently you can sync to your Android device and play the stuff using Video/Audio Player of your choice.

• 10 months later...

Following up on this. Tried again this morning by syncing a file and putting the phone in airplane mode. No go. Is there a work around?

Following up on this. Tried again this morning by syncing a file and putting the phone in airplane mode. No go. Is there a work around?

You can access the synced files with any number of other player apps.  As soon as we have offline mode implemented in our app, you can be sure we'll let you know.

Vidman

Yes use another android media player app to play the downloaded file

Edit: too slow

Edited by Vidman

• 5 months later...

@@totalhavoc

@@Kent

2.9.32 is rolling out and supports offline browsing and playback. The feature is still very new so please make sure to leave your feedback and we will continue to improve it. Thanks !

@@Luke

Great news!

Took a look and here are my first impressions:

App V 2.9.39

Server: 3.2.20.0

• When the device is online, i notice that the home page has My Downloads, and music is included (every song). Would be good to configure what shows up on the home page under My Downloads.
  • Offline Mode:
  • Default page tiles did not display any thumbnails.  You are probably aware of this and working on how to cache thumbnails for the various downloaded items.
  • I think it would be good to replicate the standard home page tile structure for the Downloads page. Latest TV, Latest Movies, Latest Music with the content selection to get into each download library like it was just an online app.  A setting to control what is displayed like the main home page would be a bonus as well.
  • Might be useful to cache the content details along with the thumbnail, so clicking on the downloaded file gives the thumbnail and standard content: description, rating, etc like if it was online. 
  • Local start of videos is spotty.  Worked most of the time but took a couple of tries at one point (exit app, reboot device). However, when playing back, no issues unless i try to cast while not on wifi.

Good start and I can see a lot of opportunity to make it awesome.  Main thing is to streamline it as much as possible as it's pretty slow (to get to the download page, selecting a video, starting playback).