Empty Library

Mustang Dave

Okay.  I don't think MSE would be causing a problem.  This issue could be nothing more than you having never allowed the initial scan to complete.

Mustang Dave

Now here are the logs with the A/V started and the Server rebooted.. once again 15 min scan. But the library opened right up... I may try activating the malware again and compare...  But the malwarebytes may be the issue...

I do Tech support for a living so I do alot of trouble shooting and I came accross somthing that might useful with my scan situation and the runaway cpu's...

I opened task manager as soon as Windows started and all was good - Media.Browser.Server - 1-3% (normal) but I went ahead and opened MC and everything stayed normal, but when I open MB, my processor spiked between  14-30% back & forth.  It even stayed there when I closed MB...  Now the whole time while I am doing this the Library is being scanned.  It did not drop until the scan was complete, I was wondering how many people had their systems set to open upon starting.  Now I know that I am running the Server and the client on the same machine and dont know if there could be a relation, but I thought that I would speak up.

Is any of this software written with Java?  I know I went through and removed all my older Javas and installed Java 8 and the new Java 8 installer now removes all the old copies of Java for you now, which it never did prior to Java 8.

Edited by Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Ok now... Here are the logs, these have the A/V running & Firewall is back on.  I did the same test again like opening WMC, but this time I just opened and closed the MBC standalone & I had the same CPU spike & it held till the Library scan was done...  One thing was different, the scan only took 2 minutes & 36 secs, Now I am restarting my malwarebytes, I will send the logs when done.

PS... Sorry for the zip...one was too large

MBClassic-2342015f4bd790806454e25a687c6a2bae3c7d6.log

MBClassic-23420150cab9c84ba8d4aacb5314fa605b6fada.log

server-63565407167.txt

server-63565393719.zip

Mustang Dave

I turned Malwarbytes back on along with everything else and restarted... Cpu from the start was at 50% when I open an app connected to media browser I hit 100% cpu till the library scan was done.  Then it dropped to 50 again and a few minutes later 0%.  I had to tell Malwarbytes not to start with Windows, stop the A/V & the firewall.  Then restart the firewall & A/V otherwise if you just stopped turned off  Malwarbytes and rebooted the cpu sat in the 30% range.  Both had to be cycled: 1- A/V off, 2- Firewall off, 3- A/V on, 4- Firewall on or it doesnt work.  Cpu still increases, but not as bad if you open & close MBC, it stays about 14-19% till library scanning is done. Library scan taking 6 minutes and 39 seconds...

Edited by Mustang Dave

Are you still having the problem with accessing your library?  It isn't unexpected that your CPU would be used while operations are in progress.

Mustang Dave

Yes and no...  Yesterday I had been working on the Server by Remote Desktop.  And when I sat down in my bedroom to watch movies, I realized the Server was not logged in.  So I went into the other room, logged in, Emby Server reloaded (I know... need to set it back as a Service) it rescanned the libraray taking 2 minutes & 45 seconds, great right... nope... No other
scan were running and the library did not show up for another 7 minutes.  This afternoon I woke up the Media Center (no logging in) and it rescanned the library (timer task) taking 4 minutes & 41 seconds, once again no other scans were running and the library did not show up for another 8 minutes.  I went ahead and rebooted the Server to give it a fresh run and
fresh log and it took 9 minutes & 43 seconds, but this time it let me see the library while it was scanning...  All the other times above mentioned except after the reboot spiked my CPU all the way to 100% till the library scan completed atleast plus a few more minutes for whatever was being processed that was not being shown.

Forgot to mention that WMC nor MBC was open during the Server wakeup during the CPU spike, just the web browser.

A/V on, Firewall on, Malware off....

Edited by Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

I even tried setting it as a Service to see if that would make a difference, but after I rebooted, the Emby sevice never started...  Just put it back to run at startup...

jhevener

Alright... I have to ask, how big is your library? What is your storage typography?

Edited by jhevener

Mustang Dave

Alright... I have to ask, how big is your library? What is your storage typography?

What would you like to know about it?

i7 950, 24 gigs triple channel RAM, 4HDDS: 1: 500 - Primary & Music, 2: 2TB - Movies, 3: 2TB - Movies & Videos, 4: 3TB - 2TB Movies & Videos - 1TB TV Recordings

Silverstone Case, 1 gig PNY video  (HDMI of course), most movies are mkv format, so they are compact avg size is 550 mb and most music is mp3, this is a dedicated Media Server, that also functions as a client and pushes about 8 other systems.  Hooked to a digital Sony receiver that can virtually manipulate 2.0 signals into 7.1 audio.  Plus I have duplicate external drives for backups... so nothing lost...

Why...What about yours...

jhevener

Just wanted to make sure you weren't running into the same thing that has plagued me for many a year... I have 36 TB, and growing, dispersed throughout my network lol. Malnamed files, bad paths, permission issues and many other issues have been my bane over the years. Just wanted to make sure you didn't have a massive library. :)

J

Mustang Dave

Its all contained and streamlined from the beginning... I do computers for a living and I guess you could say I am a little OCD with my file structures and naming

jhevener

I have also, for 35 years. I'm an IT manager for a town. I'm a little bit grabbie when it comes to online content, so I just wanted to make sure you weren't as compulsive as I.

Mustang Dave

Are you still having the problem with accessing your library?  It isn't unexpected that your CPU would be used while operations are in progress.

EBR...  Any other ideas...  The library scan times flux 2-9 minutes with or without library changes, and I have concluded the blank library is connected to the CPU spike because my library will not show up till it drops back to a normal range, anything way away from 100%.  So in other words if the library scan takes 2-9 minutes and the cpu spikes and it takes 5 minutes to come back down, I am having to wait 15 minutes before I can watch anything.

Thanks for the help...

Mustang Dave

Should the library be scanned everytime that the system wakes up?  Mine does... I thought only at startup or at scheduled times/tasks....

Mustang Dave

So any ideas on my situation?  The variable scan times... then the variable lag time between when the scan completes and the CPU spikes till it comes back down till the library shows?  Any ideas/guesses would be appreciated... it hadn't dones this before so I'm at a lost at what to try now...  Should I try disabling the music like the others have tried on the high CPU thread, to see if their is a relation?

Edited by Mustang Dave

I don't believe there is any correlation between what you are seeing and the other issue.  Seem very different to me.

I would start by removing plug-ins and see if you can isolate anything.

Mustang Dave

I removed all my Server Plugins and rebooted... No difference...  Normal 2-4 minute library scan with 5-8 minute cpu spike show Media.Browser.Server.App at 80-100%

Plugins removed:

CNET
PodCasts
CoverArt
ServerWMC
Server Configuration Backup
Trailers

Attached log with no plugins...

I am reinstalling my plugins...

server-63565750940.txt

Mustang Dave

I reinstalled all the plugins and the scan took 4 minutes and 30 secs to complete... no problem there...  Can you tell me what process or processes run right after the library scan?  That is when my CPU spikes and my Library will not show up till the CPU reaches back to zero.  I got this capture as it was coming down... As you can see, it is the only thing taxing the CPU at all.  Whats the next step Doc...

server-63565763119.txt

post-1898-0-71608100-1430230480_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

I have noticed that it would start at the same time as the Library scan, then say it was cancelled like the button was clicked, then it would run a again from a few moments to minutes later and it would go slower than it seemed it should...  But when the Cpu spike is showing on the task manager nothing is showing to be running on Scheduled tasks on the Media Server interface, the task manager is the only thing showing Media Browser with any CPU usage...

Mustang Dave

Hey... I figured out what was causing the empty library and cpu spike after the library scan to a degree... the music library like eveyone else that was having the high cpu problem.  The only difference that I know of between my setup and everyone elses that I have read is the amount of RAM. Most of them only had 6 gigs, I have 24 gigs, apparently mine will eventually power through whatever  that is being processed and bring my CPU back down and I do have a large music collection, over 300 gigs of mp3's.  As soon as I removed the music library and rescaned I was able to see my library when it had only scanned 45% of my library.  Before 45% it was still blank...  I tried this again restarting Emby Server only and then again by restarting my whole Server and had the same results.  The only thing I am still noticing is that the Refresh Guide stutters some, hangs, or restarts, but finally makes it.

server-Emby Restarted.txt

server-Music Removed.txt

server-rebooted.txt

Edited by Mustang Dave

Again - completely unrelated to the other problem.

6GB vs. 24GB will make no difference to us.  We are a 32bit app and only address 2GB.

Mustang Dave

Well either way... As soon as the music library was removed everything behaved liked it was suppose too. No more CPU spikes or blank library. If mine is completely unrelated to the other problem, why did the same fix work? It stopped my CPU from spiking and my library showed liked it was supposed too. I would bet when the fix is made for the high CPU issue, that it will probably take care of mine.

I don't know what else to do, but leave the music out of the library for now....