Empty Library

Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Does this happen to anyone else... When I open Media Browser (current version) through Windows Media Center, I will get a blank library.  I will have to open or close it a few times or even rescan the library even though I know it has just finished... I opened it on the Web a moment ago and had the same thing happen. I have gotten this on multiple machines and have tried various forms of the current Server (3.0.5582.4 / 3.0.5588.0).  Attached are the most current logs...

Edited by Mustang Dave

Communications/network problem or issue at the server end (machine bogged down with some other task?):

Type=System.Net.WebException Msg=The operation has timed out

Mustang Dave

This is even happening on the Server... The Server also has the client running on it.  And this machine is dedicated as the Media Server... so what do you think I should try?

Mustang Dave

Yeah... Media Browser...  Right before the screen capture it was going back & forth between 90 & 100 it dropped to 89 when I took the capture...  Is there a way to make the library scan run in the background??  I am running an I7-950 with 24 gigs of triple channel RAM...  I shouldn't being having processing speed issues.

Edited by Mustang Dave

It does run in the background but, if you are trying to do an initial scan of a large library it just may take some time to pull it all together.

Mustang Dave

I had an issue yesterday that Luke fixed with the Beta version of the Server, but during trouble shooting I uninstalled and reinstalled and cleared the cache.  I have it set for all my files to be saved within my folders, but for some reason it took over 11 hours to scan, I have a really large collection... But never imagined 11 hours...  But every time I see it scanning it shows my Library as empty...

Mustang Dave

ok now... I turned off scan media library, all triggers and rebooted, waited for the Server to load, opened WMC, then MB and still had a blank library.  Should that happen?  Took 5-10 minutes for it to show up.  Do you see something else in the logs that could slow it down?  Now let me make sure I got something right... the library scan is only necessary for initial setup and updating info correct?  Is it needed to be setup to scan when adding new items... Because I have to say it loaded quicker than it has lately with those triggers turned off.

FYI (I also posted this on "High CPU usage when idle", but since you also asked me this the other day)

I also had a large & long cpu spike last night on mine...  The only thing happening at the time was my daughter listening to music... I had to stop & restart Emby to make it stop.

One other thing if you has the Server beta installed and you have it set to notify you for new released versions, not Beta, and the update now button appears, which version do you get and how can you verify?

thanks for all the help on this...

Do you see something else in the logs that could slow it down?  

I'd need to see an MBC log.

it looks like you removed the startup library scan from the server, that needs to be reactivated. we are working to support doing that but we're not there just yet.

Mustang Dave

Working on which part? "we are working to support doing that but we're not there just yet."  I lost you...

Just for the record I have the Server and MBC loaded on the same machine, its plenty big enough to handle it all... but even if I open it under the web interface it will show a blank library at the same time it shows a blank one on WMC\MB...  Or on any other machince connected or browser...

Edited by Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

If the whole library has been scanned and all I do now is add new shows\movies\music... etc... why whould I need it to scan at startup if it adds all the info when it is added?  I dont need it to update info on the movies...

If the whole library has been scanned and all I do now is add new shows\movies\music... etc... why whould I need it to scan at startup if it adds all the info when it is added?  I dont need it to update info on the movies...

Because something could have changed while the server wasn't running.

A scan does not do anything unless something changed to warrant it.

MBC is timing out trying to get the main views of your library.  A task that should take a small fraction of a second.

The fact that the web client exhibits the same behavior means it is not related to MBC at all but, rather the server or network or configuration some how.

Try disabling all anti-malware and firewall software and then try it.  If it works, then you know where to start to look.  If not, you'll have to investigate more at the network or hardware level.

You guys don't need to investigate anymore. He just has to re-enable the scan. It's something that will be improved in a future release so that you can turn it off if you want to.

You guys don't need to investigate anymore. He just has to re-enable the scan. It's something that will be improved in a future release so that you can turn it off if you want to.

He didn't turn that off until today.

But Luke is correct, you need to re-enable that and let a full scan complete.  And then run the tests to see if there is still a problem.  Maybe you just never allowed it to complete the first time...

Mustang Dave

The scans have completed... the first time it scanned after I uninstalled and installed the beta version it took over 11 hours... now 3-4 minutes but like I said when I enter MB its blank for a few then it populates.  Either on MC or on the Web browser...  But I have had the same software installed for ever, but I will try it...  But I get this on multiple machines with the same software setups and similar hardware.

Any idea on the high cpu spike?? It hit 100%...

FYI (I also posted this on "High CPU usage when idle", but since you also asked me this the other day)

The only thing happening at the time was my daughter listening to music... I had to stop & restart Emby to make it stop.

Did I miss the answer on this?  I had the Beta installed at the time when I updated through the web interface, so Im not sure which version is running...

One other thing if you has the Server beta installed and you have it set to notify you for new released versions, not Beta, and the update now button appears, which version do you get and how can you verify?

Whatever your library retrieval issue is it is related to the server so it will be occurring on all clients.  That is not surprising.

Follow the other thread for the CPU issue.  There is no answer for that yet.

Mustang Dave

Here are the logs with the A/V off and the Malwaware off...  I turned them off, turned on the library scan - ran it and let it complete and then restarted the Server.

Of course the scan ran again, taking 15 minutes, but when it did I opened everything and my library was there, MB and web.  I will turn on the A/V and repeat the process and let you know.  I attached the current logs...

Edited by Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Microsoft Security Essentials - Figured better it was better to stay native and simple...  since this box doesnt really get online other than updates...