Terrible performance on an i5 NUC

shpitz461

shpitz461

Hi,

getting terrible playback performance, video stutters badly.

The file plays back fine outside of Theatre.

When i try to set an external player with MPC-HC, I set the path, the param is {PATH}, but when I try to play the file, MPC launches, but says 'File Not Found'.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I tried to use madVR renderer, but it's just as bad.

Thanks!

Info1

Morning,

Like you I just purchased a Intel NUC I5, 120 gig SSD, 8 gigs of ram and Windows 7 64 bit.

I just built it yesterday and I am also seeing issues but my videos do play ok. I will list out my issues in another thread as I don't want to hijack yours.

I built it for EMBY use only so all that is on the NUC is Windows 7 64 bit, K-lite codec pack and EMBY theatre.

Server is on another PC and works flawless local, on XBOX extender and many IOS tablets. I see better handling of MKV files as well.

Do not know how you build the NUC I would suspect your codecs for the bad video.

Can't explain the file not found, perhaps it is the naming convention in the server.

m

AdrianW

I also have an i5 NUC (D54250WYK) and I have the server and MBC installed and I use MPC-HC as an external player (with MadVR). Only issue I have is the MBC is occasionally a little slow to scroll left and right through a big collection of posters. 

I'm not touching MBT until the rewritten version is released.

shpitz461

Thanks guys for the input. Feel free to hijack this thread :)

I'm also on a D54250WYK, mSata SSD with 8GB ram, Win7 Ultimate.

Is there a log file specific to MBT I can look in? I wonder why i'm getting a 'file not found' error in MPC-HC (32bit), wish I could see the commandline passed.

All my paths in the library are \\localhost\<sharename>.

I'm also using a Roku 3 with the same Emby server (v3.0.5582.4), and that works great.

I'm running MBT v3.0.5587.18453.

As far as codecs go, I've installed Win7 clean, and only installed LAV Filters v0.64.0, and madVR v0.87.12.

Edited by shpitz461

Deihmos

I have a nuc i5 that I will be returning to newegg but playback was fine. I can play anything with 5% cpu use. It could be the video driver.

shpitz461

I'm running latest and greatest drivers, as well as BIOS was updated to 0037 (it came with 0035).

Playback is perfect outside of MBT.

Info1

Well, you said it was ok to hijack...

As noted above I have no issues playing back movies with EMBY Theater. Loaded K-lite codecs only.

What do I notice is:

1-Everytime I make a setting change I am getting 1 or more "an error has occurred message"

2-When I play back a movie the timer on the bottom shows crazy times. Like 3 seconds for a 1 1/2 movie.

As I have Windows 7 Home I loaded Classic MB for WMC as it works better with my remote. I have a Logitech and have not remapped the keys to launch Theatre as of yet.

I will say Theater paly MKV files much sharper then my Xbox extender did. I like not having to transcode AAC to AC3 all the time.

I also noted I was running the stable release and have opted to Beta, will test as soon as it pushes to me. Perhaps 1 and 2 are resolved and I will be a happy camper.

m

shpitz461

I'm having the same issue with #2, but it's only certain files (even across same extension, some files show 3-5 seconds length). Funny thing is, with those files, the length is completely wrong, but they all play fine. Another thing I noticed, is the screen with the file info and play button, the file length reports ok, just the playback length is messed up.

I haven't done a thing, and now everything works almost 100%. It might be that my son was using his desktop (which is my server) at the time, and it didn't have enough horses to transcode while I was testing.

Last night everything played great.

Since I don't have a network connection in the bedroom, I use the coax run with a DECA adapter to provide a solid 100mbps connection, works great. I used to have an Ceton Echo, but it was a POS for anything other LiveTV...

As for the remote, I configured an Harmony 650 and an Harmony One using this guide: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=95063

Works perfect, so nice that the NUC has an IR port built-in.

I ordered a BT keyboard/touchpad from Amazon, will see how it works.

Just installed an Intel 7260AC + BT last night, was the last missing piece...

Edited by shpitz461

Info1

Good news shpitz461,

One other issue I am seeing is a I have some large TV series folder. When I select them Theatre seems to hang.

No issue with play back just a long period of waiting for the folder to switch.

Hoping all this issues go away as I want to keep Theater on my Nuc.

Really appreciate the link to the remote stuff.

swhitmore

I had some issues with MBT and my Celeron NUC. After turning off hardware acceleration in the MBT menu, everything was fine.

AdrianW

I'm having the same issue with #2, but it's only certain files (even across same extension, some files show 3-5 seconds length). Funny thing is, with those files, the length is completely wrong, but they all play fine. 

There was a problem with the server scan a few dev versions ago, which caused some content to be added with zero duration.

It may be work using the report tool on the server and then sorting by duration. If any have blank (or really short) durations then try finding the video in the Metadata Manager and then run an Advanced Refresh on the item(s).

Edited by AdrianW

shpitz461

Thanks Adrian and swhitmore for the tips, I"ll check them out!

So the server actually caches everything? including media duration etc? I thought the duration would be displayed upon playback, read from the file. So it makes sense now.

Can you point me to the report tool? And what do you mean by advanced refresh? how is that done? per item?

Am i better of deleting the cache and doing a full system scan?

AdrianW

Open the Web UI and hover over the "burger" (three hotdogs) at the top left of the window), wait a little until you see "Report" appear on the flyout menu. Click Reports. (Note: Metadata Manager is accessed in the same way).

When first entering Reports you'll be presented with a "movie" report - there's a droplist at the top to change this to other items like episodes. Click on "Runtime" to sort by runtime - any blank and short run times will now be at the top.

If you find any with invalid runtimes (there really shouldn't be that many) - go to the metadata manager, navigate to the item and then click the "Advanced Refresh" button - this will queue a refresh (which should happen in the background pretty quickly) - after doing one (or more) of these re-run the report to see if it has fixed the runtime issue.

shpitz461

Genius!

Problem is, most durations reported are correct, I'm going to run advanced refresh on the whole music video library, and re-test in MBT.

Thanks again!

Info1

I am confused as the NUC is new and if the server is the source of media length why do I not see this on my Xbox extender or local MB classic on the server.

Like the input and thank you.

m

Deihmos

I returned the i5 nuc I purchased because it isn't a good value. I bought a pico psu for my server/htpc and idles at just 8 watts with an i3 processor that is a lot more power than the nuc i5 processor and still cost less. The Celeron Nuc is the best value.

Edited by Deihmos

Info1

How large? 1000's of files in a single folder? can you split into seasons?

My series folder Is setup by show/season/episodes. Works fine on my Xbox and MB Classic.

Library has 320 folders, 6,764 files and is about 1.13TB. I suspect average size.

m