Roku Revamps 2015 Models

BAS

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

I read up on this and went in looking for them at the local store and they had them on display but old inventory in boxes. I was especially interested in the Roku 2 (2015 Model) 4210r.

Weird things on the Roku site they dont list any changes to the Roku Stick or Roku 1 physically/hardware wise, but I ended up walking out with a Roku Stick mfg in 2015 easily determined by the advertisement of 2000+channels on the box and 2015 mfg date. The remote is improved in my opinion and has different 4 stores featured at the bottom and I swear this stick out performs the other 2 I have from 2014.

Just thought I would let any Roku fans or newcomers out there know to either order directly from Roku or pay attention to the mfg date on the box, if it says 2015 you are getting the latest revisions of the hardware.

The Roku 2 to me has actually become a pretty relevant option that I will be considering as another extender replacement soon.

Edited by BAS

Koleckai Silvestri

They look interesting. Roku should have chosen new model names like Roku 2015 and Roku 2015 Voice. It would make the market place less confusing.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Lol, isn't the current "Roku" model the third time they have used the plain Roku name for device? I don't think they really think about how it comes off with the consumer.

I didn't really like the 2, 2XS, 2XD naming either because it confused their target market (people who aren't tech savvy and want a simple device to connect to the TV) but at least new models had new names at that time.

• Like 1

I agree, i was explaining that the name hadnt changed to the employees but the hardware and inside did and their floor models were the new ones and the official model number was different, but most customers are going to ask for a Roku 2 and not know that they are probably getting the 2014 edition, which didnt have ethernet, dual band wireless, microsd, or the faster processor. There is big changes from roku 2 2014 to roku 2 2015.

Roku 2 didn't have a 2014 model. Perhaps you meant the roku2 2013?
That had composite, no ethernet, no usb/sd slots, and lacked proper DTS/5.1 support (because of its analog audio out).

The new roku2 matches hardware in the roku3. It has the broadcom bcm11130 same as the roku 3.
The new roku2 does not include: wi-fi direct remote (it is IR only), motion controls (no angry birds, etc), private listening (no headphone jack on the remote), or voice search (roku3 2015 exclusively).

In other words, they've "dumbed down" the roku2 2015 remote. The roku3 2015 remote with voice search is not sold alone (yet?). It seems intentional they don't offer the remote alone, which is to differentiate the new models and price points. Eventually replacement roku3 2015 remotes have to made available, and then roku3 2015 capabilities may extend to the roku2 2015, and the roku3 2013 with firmware updates if roku is that generous.

As far as emby is concerned, there is no difference between a roku3 and a roku2 2015 model since based on same chipset. The roku app is already "aware" of these models and the only difference is the name it gives them. The capabilites are identical. So picking up a roku2 is indeed the more economical option here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

dnicks

i just picked up the new 2 and performance wise it's the same as the 3.  i've tried so many other boxes and always come back to roku.  it's simple and fast and very rarely do i have issues. 

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

With the new iPhone app, you can do voice search on even the Roku3 2013 model currently. However the search is processed by the App and not the device. So voice search might work on any Roku when accessed via the App. They are pushing the App a lot more now. Which is good since a replacement remote can cost $40.00. We've been using the App exclusively since our puppy ate the Roku remote a couple weeks ago.

Having the Roku2 2015 at $69 makes it a worthwhile option for the two rooms without a roku yet.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 2

pr3dict

Ah I just bought a older roku3 refurbished for $63 last month. =/

Now I know why everythign was discounted

Edited by pr3dict
  • Like 1

ice pube

I got a Roku 3 recently too, but I can't be too mad, its still a great streamer. Debating on replacing my other 2 chromecasts because I am finding I just really like a remote. 

• Like 1