Emby Theater Live TV

KarterJK

KarterJK

I like MediaBrowser (Emby) but the Emby Theater is very lacking...

I don't know why it is that nearly none of the Emby apps (except browser client) lack an actual TV Guide.  Why is this?   The channels listing, alphabetically is a joke (I don't know all the call letters, but I do know what channel numbers I watch), at least allow a numeric channel listing, if you are not going to provide a guide.  Even the guide for the browser client is not user friendly, why cant it just play the channel when I select it, instead it goes to the obscure PLAY screen.  When you hoover over a channel it should give a pop up of what is showing, IMO.

Anyone can come up with a home movie server, but few can actually provide a good LiveTV interface.  Emby has all of the ingredients, but the recipe falls flat when it comes to channel surfing. Honestly, I didn't test it much further than this, because it fails to lack the most essential tool for me to use it.

It is nice to be able to use a remote with it, except when you hit the exiting screen, there should be a resume option (unless I missed it).

I hope this is taken as a constructive criticism, and not a negative opinion.

Thanks for all the good work. 

It's there in the app to at least make content playable until a guide is developed. 

KarterJK

It was not meant as a complaint.  I was just curious.  I will stop making any comments at all, and perhaps those monthly contributions.

Edited by KarterJK

jkanoy

It was not meant as a complaint.  I was just curious.  I will stop making any comments at all, and perhaps those monthly contributions.

Wow. I totally support KarterJK. However I get Luke's position. But I have to say, I'm a product manager for a software company; we thrive on constructive criticism. Folks in software may not realize that not everyone understands the development process and how some features are released separately in order to show progress and give users the foundation for what they've been asking for, for quite a while now. IMO, I think a more tactful explanation was in order. This type of response is what intimidates people for even wanting to ask questions or offer features they would like to see. Just my $0.02.

• Like 1

Tolerant

It was a response just not one from someone skilled in public relations per say. Luke gets to the point, but don't expect much of a bedside manner while he does it. This is not a put down just an obversation. If you want an answer that is direct and to the point, Luke is you guy.. if you want someone to hold your hand while you get an answer, Luke is not your guy. ;) Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Snapper

Frankly, it's probably better that he is short and to the point if he ever wants to get anything done besides posting comments.

writersblock73

From the pinned post which announces Emby Theater, Luke stated:  "I'm not even sure I would call this an alpha because it's not even close to feature complete. This application has a long way to go, but what we have is somewhat stable. That's going to be the pattern. Things will be added slowly to retain stability so that it remains usable."

When he replied to the original poster with, "It's there in the app to at least make content playable until a guide is developed," he essentially just reworded what he's already previously said.  

In other words, Emby Theater is a work in progress.  As such, its focus is more on function and stability than polish at this point. 

Not to put words in Luke's mouth, but my take was that he was being concise rather than rude.  Think he'd offer this software to others--for the most part, free--if his point was to be rude to them?  Text doesn't go very far to explain one's temperament, but I don't think the comment was received the way it was intended.  There's no need for hard feelings.  

• Like 1

Thank you, and we have a whole new version of Emby Theater coming. it is being rewritten and that is the reason for the slow feature rollouts. But I did want to at least make it playable for now.

• Like 1