3.0.5572.0 - Chromecast playback issue

FloCdr

FloCdr

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing a quite annoying problem since the 3.0.5572.0 update. I'm using a Chromecast device on my TV, and I usually cast through my local network using the Android app. Everything worked fine for months, until I got the latest update. Now, some videos always freeze while being cast, what's more always at the same moment. I've been looking for this problem everywhere in vain, and I did some tests ; here's some things I found out :

- the freezes happen especially with .mkv files ; it did not show with .avi videos ;

- transcoding seems to stop prematurely (the bar no longer progresses in the dashboard) ;

- it really seems to come form the latest emby update, because I reinstalled a server on another computer and the same videos freeze at the same time ;

- though I thought at first this would be the problem, my files and hard drive seem to be OK ;

- when i try to cast from the web client on the server machine, the video doesn't even start !

You can find below the server log and two transcoding logs on the same file (I deactivated transcoding throttle for the first try). I also tried to change a lot of transcoding options, without results. I'm quite helpless here, hope you can enlighten me !

Thanks your amazing work, I've been an MB enthusiast for quite a long time now, and your dedication is really impressive. I'm not ready to give up on this, so I hope I'll find out what's wrong !

Best regards

Florent

transcode-67ff20c1-d867-4eb9-8faa-a7b644237fce.txt

transcode-cc86ad63-f47a-4b04-898e-854168ad5b1f.txt

server-63564294346 - Copie (2).txt

FloCdr

No, from using the Android app. If it helps, here are server and ffmpeg logs from using the client on the same video. Transcoding seems to stop even more prematurely, if I understand this well...

The casting started (with progress bar on TV, backdrop and episode name) but not the playback. What's more, i could'nt stop the playback with the remote control ; this seems to be quite traumatic for the server because I disconnected the CC via Chrome but the server still displays it in the dashboard playing the video.

server-63564297116 - Copie.txt

transcode-82d90c1a-1c81-4be1-90e2-37c25fad8800.txt

Ok. I've pushed an update to the chromecast receiver. please unplug the receiver, put it back in, then test again. thanks.

FloCdr

Okay, this seems to help a lot - but only with Android app. Here's what I experienced after updating the receiver :

- No freezes during a sufficient amount on time for my "test videos" - safe to say that the playback seems okay, since the transcoding is complete both in logs and dashboard ;

- When casting from web client, same thing than before : casting starts but no playback, I don't even have a transcoding log now, neither do I see a ffmpeg process in the task manager. Remote control still unresponsive and sever is still traumatized.

I guess this solves my problems, but not everything so here are the latest logs, if it helps ! 

Edit : Back on my previous computer, casting from the web client now works, with transcoding complete on dashboard and remote control working. Casting from Android still works too. I don't know if something else than my server changed but everything looks okay now ! Thanks for your quick response, and keep up the good work ! 

server - cast from Android app.txt

transcode - cast from Android app.txt

server - cast from web client.txt

Edited by FloCdr

i pushed another update to the Chromecast receiver. I think that should solve the issue with the web client.

FloCdr

Yes, I was a little quick with my edit, the playback actually froze after a little while, even with the transcoding looking complete. Let me check the new update.

try lowering the bitrate setting in the web client or android. we have capped the CC bitrate at 12mbps but that is really pushing the limits and may cause the device to lock up. I will change it 11.

FloCdr

Well this is getting confusing... Now both web client and Android App get a seemingly complete transcoding, but they both freeze on the same frame. It looked like a file integrity issue at first, but there is no freeze when I play the video in the web client directly... My bitrate setting is at 6 Mbps in the app, by the way. Here are the logs - sorry, I didn't clear them. I'm going back to mysecond server to see if the issue is the same.

transcode - 2nd CC update - from client.txt

server - 2nd CC update.txt

FloCdr

Last facts :

- On my first server (on which I first experienced the issues), bothandroid and web client casting freeze on the same frame, with transcoding complete, or almost ; I played a little with transcoding, throttling and speed options without any results. Throttling doesn't seem to work properly though. Remote control is functional, and I can stop casting without "traumatizing" the server like it did before ; logs are below.

- On my second server, throttling is enabled and works fine, as the progress bar seemingly moves when needed ; no freezes so far.

I guess I'd have to go back to a regular usage to get a better feedback and try to find a pattern, if there is one...

server - android.txt

transcode - android.txt

server - web client.txt

transcode - web client.txt

Edited by FloCdr

kamakamadaun

I think I have the same issue. I have not been able to play HD video from start to end since last update. For some reason SD seems to work. But I haven't checked what might be the formats in the files that work for me (everything I recorded myself from TV seems to work).

Should I try the dev server? Would it be helpful if I try to pinpoint what codec combinations/resolutions seem to work and which consistently fail?

I think I have the same issue. I have not been able to play HD video from start to end since last update. For some reason SD seems to work. But I haven't checked what might be the formats in the files that work for me (everything I recorded myself from TV seems to work).

Should I try the dev server? Would it be helpful if I try to pinpoint what codec combinations/resolutions seem to work and which consistently fail?

Please see http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

FloCdr

Hello again,

Back from trying to see if my issue wears out, I'm sad to say that it's still there (and that there is so few people having it...).

Video playback still freezes on Chromecasting, at the same moment casting from both web client and Android app. And on two different servers, which kind of rules out hardware problems...

I leave the logs from Android app casting, I hope it can help because I'm kind of desperated here.

I can give you further feedback if you need it. It seems to be the the same issue kamakamadaun faces ; on é0 min. shows, the transcoding seems to be complete and playback basically stops (black screen and all) with the remote controls still responsive.

Best regards,

Florent

server-63564553029 - Copie.txt

transcode-b961d64a-a27e-4831-9102-a47a5572bf81 - Copie.txt

kamakamadaun

I updated to latest dev and tried to re-produced the problem. The symptoms looked a bit different this time.

It started playing, it had several hiccups where it appear to stop then re-started playback but seemed to skip a part (didn't see this before), then eventually the screen turned black (before it would just freeze where it stopped). On the server it seems it started another transcoding thread but never restarted playback.

I will see if I can provoke the original symptoms with another file.

server-63564553586 - Copy.txt

transcode-757b74a2-fbe7-4981-8e11-1b183a6fec11 - Copy.txt

transcode-bd25f450-2a27-40e2-b2ba-e421d431bbd4 - Copy.txt

Edited by kamakamadaun

FloCdr

Well I seem to face the same symptoms on my side, especially the freeze and black screen thing. Happy to see I'm not alone in this ! I keep trying to figure out a pattern too.

richardap1

Same Issue here.  Generally starts with a little stuttering then will just go black. I have to then restart the session to the chromecast.  Due to the amount of use that chromecast get in our house i have had to switch to plex for that one feature :(

kf6kmx

Not sure if this will help, but I'm seeing the same thing here on both of my chromecasts, but have tested from a slightly different angle before I found the discussion here...

What I have come up with is the encoding of the video file?

I have several TV shows saved (direct download from an Australian TV channel's website) as well as dvds that we have ripped onto the server from my own library using a couple different programs for the rip...

What I have found is the tv shows and about 1/3 of the movies play just fine on emby direct on the Android or chromecast... The other 2/3 of the movies exhibit the issues described when sent to chromecast, no matter the method used to cast them. Stuttering playback, freezing, blackout screen, and in one attempt a locked up chromecast I had to unplug and reboot.

Could this be an issue with specific codecs?

I can try and find what the codes of the saved movies are... I know one that plays just fine and one that stutters every time they are tried, I'll see if I can find the encoding (or try to remember what they were ripped using... One is a couple years old)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Not sure if this will help, but I'm seeing the same thing here on both of my chromecasts, but have tested from a slightly different angle before I found the discussion here...

What I have come up with is the encoding of the video file?

I have several TV shows saved (direct download from an Australian TV channel's website) as well as dvds that we have ripped onto the server from my own library using a couple different programs for the rip...

What I have found is the tv shows and about 1/3 of the movies play just fine on emby direct on the Android or chromecast... The other 2/3 of the movies exhibit the issues described when sent to chromecast, no matter the method used to cast them. Stuttering playback, freezing, blackout screen, and in one attempt a locked up chromecast I had to unplug and reboot.

Could this be an issue with specific codecs?

I can try and find what the codes of the saved movies are... I know one that plays just fine and one that stutters every time they are tried, I'll see if I can find the encoding (or try to remember what they were ripped using... One is a couple years old)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Please see post #17

Sp3kt3r

Hi, I just want to mention that I have the same kind of issue, The ffmpeg.exe disappear after a few second/minutes as soon as I click PAUSE on my tv/movie streaming and my streaming goes black when I click play button to resume.

Here's my latest transcoding log and server log while I had the issue.

I'm using latest beta version 3.0.5582.1

I'm using Webclient to broadcast to my CC.

server-63564675331.txt

transcode-81271445-5300-4a2e-aa50-6b0daa75f41b.txt

Edited by Sp3kt3r

Hi have problems with chromecast too.

If i playback to cc the movies or series will freeze for a view second restart playing and freeze again.

this problem came after 10 or 20 minutes its different.

If i turn forward in the app it will be run again for 5 or 10 min then came isseus back.

The problem cames after update to 3.0.5572.0

Now i am on beta too but the beta has the same problems.

I have tried the bubbleupnp app with this server to manage the files over emby to cc with this app all is fine.

I hope you can fix it MB is realy cool, and better then plex or something else.

You make a good job.

Sorry for my bad english

server-63564769600.txt

transcode-be2830ce-21fa-43fb-9aed-00a6df831e82.txt

Edited by zeroy

cskyrme

I have been expericiencing similar issues. I thought it was only me, but now after reading this thread I will try to do more detailed testing and send logs.

One observation I'll share in the interim is that while my Chromecast has definitely had issues and frozen playback on most shows for the past week when being casted to from my android app, I tried using DLNA direct to my Panasonic VT30 TV as a workaround. That worked better, but also seemed to freeze on occasion.

As a last resort I tried to just play the shows locally on my android tablet, and that worked without issue.

I just upgraded to the 3.0.5582.2 server build, and will unplug and re-plug in my Chromecast before testing again tonight.

Let me know if there are any specific scenarios you'd like me to test (bit rate, etc)

Galathrox

Also experiencing issues with playback freezing on a chromecast, running the latest stable release (3.0.5572.0)

ffmpeg.exe runs for a couple of minutes before the playback freezes, followed by the process running for about 15 seconds before closing down completely.

Attached are server logs @ debug level and transcode logs.

Edit: I've also tried updating to both beta and dev releases but experience the same symptoms

server-63564819871.txt

transcode-19959479-b50c-4c0e-86c8-6bb42e25a631.txt

Edited by Galathrox