Transcoding Temp Files not purging

legallink

legallink

Hey all,

I installed the newest beta server the other day 3.0.5772.0 (on Windows 7 dedicated HTPC/Emby machine).  I usually leave my transcoding folder on an SSD for fast read/write access (so the drive isn't the bottleneck in a transcode).  Anyways, I logged in this morning and found 16k 2 second transcoded files (MPEG-2 TS Video files) covering about 50GB (which is a lot for my SSD to handle).  I noticed it because almost none of my TV shows recorded last night, and was wondering why.  Logged in and got a low disk space error, and all the shows it WTV attempted to record were at 0KB (note that they record to a seaparte drive than the SSD, but possibly WMC/Server-WMC uses the SSD as a temp file location?).

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has seen this and was curious if it had to do with the change in the ffmpeg usage/transcoding, in that Emby Server isn't dumping the transcoded media after it has been used/played because it is doing it in spurts?.  That being said, at the times listed on the file creation dates, we weren't watching TV, so that adds more to the confusion.

As an FYI, all the transcoded media files were created no earlier than 04/06/2015 (aka 2 days ago after I installed the most recent update); and the drive was pretty filled up by 04/07/2015.

*Note - the files were not in the "streaming" folder.....so perhaps this has to do with Server-WMC?

Dropbox link to the server logs (the files were too big to upload) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ka5hc0p8acz3luh/AADPqNMClokwsXjkmuIFtp6Ea?dl=0

Thoughts?

Also, should I post in LIve TV/Server-WMC?

legallink

Just as an update, this issue is still continuing, and it does not appear to be solely related to WTV..  I logged in this morning, and a user watched a bit of Captain America last night.  I was left with 11 files of MPEG2 each lasting about 2 seconds all from midnight last night (I logged in around 9am).  it was only the beginning of the stream (as opposed to consistent throughout the entire playback).

In playing the files, they are completely blank screen, with nothing viewable.

Thoughts?  This does not appear to be a Live TV/Server-WMC issue.

legallink

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I'm getting about 500MB of mini transcode files being created in the temp folder and not being deleted every couple of days.

What are all the client apps you guys use?

I have been monitoring my transcoding temp folders on both my dev and production servers since you mentioned this and, every time I look, they are completely empty.  I have a Roku, a Nexus Player, the Android mobile app and, very occasionally, the web client that would all cause transcodes.

legallink

Clients are as follows:

Web browser

Roku 3

Roku LT

iPad

Windows Surface Tablet(MediaBrowserRT)

Kodi (MacbookPro)

I'll do some individual client testing in the next day or so to see if I can narrow it down. (it's a little trick as the clients are all around the country).

JeremyFr79

I checked and had about 1GB of transcoding files that were left in my folder from a transcode several day's ago.  Using Chromecast, android phones, & browser for playback.

Spaceboy

Roku, Fire TV, nexus, rasp pi, plain old mbt and the web client. All deleted now so I cannot go back and check what they were

Also iOS and android

Edited by Spaceboy

legallink

I have tried to excerpt the relevant portions of the server logs.  You can find them here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3agxulsh49kj7v/2015.docx?dl=0

There is a long list of "deleting transcoded files" in the log, but it doesn't list the files that have been left behind.  From a transcode at 2am last night, it left about 100 files and it was about 50MB

I don't know if it helps, but all the files are roughly 2 seconds long.

It appears to be happening with with the Roku LT.  Although it sounds like other people with other platforms are having the same issue.

I have not tested/don't have results yet as it relates to the Windows App.

legallink

The client doesn't crash or hang after playback that I have been told (it isn't my client, it's a remote client).

As a related point, we don't see the same issue with the local Roku 3.

legallink

Small update (logs still to come) - The "Recent Activity" tab shows as if they "started" the movie file multiple times without a stop....aka there may be a bit of a misfire.

Confirming - so far this is only with Roku LT and only while playing MKV

legallink

Another small update, we added another client to the mix (the Roku 2 XD) and it also has the issue of not purging files.  I'm not sure what is so different between the Roku 2 XD, the Roku LT, and the Roku 3 (because presumably they are all running the same application), but no issue happens with the Roku 3.

i would make sure your apps are up to date because i've tested this very specific thing with the latest version of nearly every app.

and for roku, be on the beta channel.

legallink

I'll double check. I honestly have no idea why, as I have a local Roku 3 and it does not present this issue.  By the way, thanks for looking into it Luke and EBR.

Edited by legallink

legallink

Quick update: I had all remote roku clients update to the beta channel and all is well with the world. Not sure what changes are applicable, but so goes it. Thanks all!

legallink

Further update.....apparently the beta channel on the Roku did not resolve the issue.  Just wanted to reiterate it is just remote clients.  Perhaps I should do a clean install and see how it all goes.

• 1 year later...
strugglez

Is anyone else still having this problem? I am using the Samsung TV clients (E & F Series). I Haven't checked the logs but I am having a problem with my main hard drive filling up with left over temp files from Emby. It's becoming a problem as I only have a 40GB SSD. Restarting Emby deletes them all, but rather than installing the restart plugin, I just wanted to recheck whether this is a bug or is there a reason it's saving the temp files (for later playback if media is paused or something similar?). I last check and there was about 10 files all about 1 gig each.

Cheers

strugglez

It will also clean them up periodically if it fails to clean them up immediately after playback.

Hey Luke, what is the period interval it does the check/cleanup? Is their a way to reduce the time for people who have small drives to work with?

strugglez

Don't mean to bother everyone but I don't know if Emby is purging data the way it is intended, well for me at least. I still have temp encoded files from the 8th December, I for some reason believe it is only clears the files after a server restart.

Any help would be much appreciated as I do only have a 40GB SSD for my OS and Emby and it has ended up filling the drive before.

Happy2Play

Don't mean to bother everyone but I don't know if Emby is purging data the way it is intended, well for me at least. I still have temp encoded files from the 8th December, I for some reason believe it is only clears the files after a server restart.

Any help would be much appreciated as I do only have a 40GB SSD for my OS and Emby and it has ended up filling the drive before.

You will probably have to post a server log.

strugglez

i looked at a couple server logs and they look fine to me. keep in mind for any given playback session, the temp files for that session are not deleted until the user has stopped playing.

strugglez

i looked at a couple server logs and they look fine to me. keep in mind for any given playback session, the temp files for that session are not deleted until the user has stopped playing.

Does that mean, if the movie was stopped, and not fully watched, it will stay there til it's been fully watched? As I do that a fair bit because I stop it as I start to fall asleep half way through a movie. Haha.