nfo vs xml metadata

blackmamba

blackmamba

When I installed MB it appeared that by default nfo is enabled xml is disabled.

I have been using MCM which by default has xml enabled and nfo disabled (actually you can't turn xml off).

So just to try and keeps things stable I turned both nfo and xml on in MCM and MB.

But is there a real difference between the two and does one represent the future and the other legacy for MB?

TIA

Rob 

there are enough users still using xml that we are going to continue to support it. but more users and applications use nfo, that's why it's the default and generally preferred.

Overseer

If both an xml and nfo file exists within the directory does emby pick one over the other to display? Is there a conflict if both file formats exist?

Happy2Play

If both an xml and nfo file exists within the directory does emby pick one over the other to display? Is there a conflict if both file formats exist?

Not sure since I have an old install so I still have some legacy features still visible, but if you go to Metadata-Services there is a priority option for reading xml or nfo.

5517a3aeaf40a_metadata.png

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
miztermike

there are enough users still using xml that we are going to continue to support it. but more users and applications use nfo, that's why it's the default and generally preferred.

Hi Luke, I'm brand new to Emby and I'm loving it!

I noticed something that I'd like to share with you that relates to your quote above.

When creating collections manually I discovered Emby creates a collection.xml file and stores it in the following path:

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\data\collections\Collection Name [boxset]

If Emby is now favoring .nfo files for its preferred metadata format will this be reflected in a future update?

I really hope so because OCD freaks like myself will sleep more comfortably at night knowing all our metadata files are in one standard format.  :blink:

Also, while I've got your attention - Is there any way to get Emby to pick up the collection images already saved in my local movies directories?

I just found choosing the collection images a bit tedious because I already had all the artwork for my collections, which I downloaded in the past. However, after the first 10 of 100+ collections, I did find a hack and slash way to speed up the process by creating the collection and copying the collection images I have locally into the [boxset] folder before adding the collection items. This saved me a lot of time!

Edited by miztermike

The contents are the same just the extension is different.  All those metadata nfo files are actually xml too.

• Like 1