sync

Longrifle

Longrifle

I'm lost with this sync stuff, I qued up a movie for sync, now it says ready to transfer... where do I go from here?

also at no point did it allow me to select a type?? roku, ios, mp4.. etc.

if you are syncing to an app such as 8.1 then there is no profile selection, since the conversion will be targeted specifically for playback within that app.

now you just wait patiently for the app to sync the content. it has notifications, and also I'm pretty sure it has a button to kick off the sync manually.

thefirstofthe300

If you are targeting the cloud (not the 8.1 app), you can manually kick off the sync using the task in scheduled tasks.

Also, using cloud sync, you can adjust the profile when you create the sync job. Luke is right though that apps will NOT have the option of changing profiles because sync targets the device profile automatically.

Longrifle

thank you fellas, I see now... it has changed to transferring.

one last question... if I set up the cloud sync, do I sync to the cloud in different formats and when let's say I connect with my ipad.. the server will know to serve my movie from the cloud instead of my server?

AxeMan

what happens when you do folder sync? It failed a few times, but eventually says completed. Do I have to add this sync'd folder in to my library? Or can I copy/transfer that folder over to android, and have the app use that local folder? OR am i jumping the gun with this feature?

folder sync is for backup, archiving, or for alternate resolutions of content. you can do whatever you like with the output, including move it to a device if you want.

• Like 1

AxeMan

folder sync is for backup, archiving, or for alternate resolutions of content. you can do whatever you like with the output, including move it to a device if you want.

thanks Luke - if i move it to device, will the MB Android app recognize the folder? Or do I play the file w. a local media player/file explorer?

You would have to play it with something other than Emby.

If you want to sync to a device, then you would use the device app specific syncing (currently only in 8.1 app but coming to others).

• Like 1

AxeMan

thanks @@ebr and @Luke 

I shall wait patiently. Funny when I saw the Sync stuff mentioned way back in January - I was going to ask for a FR to have exactly this - to keep pre-transcoded stuff so that the server doesn't need to do it each time a client asks. 

While I wait for the Android App to suppor it, I think i'm going to start getting some mobile versions synced.. I can hit the ground running then :-)

MSattler

So with the naming structure of the content, is there a way one can ascertain what username it would go with? I believe that the first level is perhaps somehow related to username?

The reason I ask is I want to use folder sync for a mobile emby server. If one could explain the naming convention I could most likely write a script to rename it on the mobile Emby server sk it is placed in the right place?

Jasoon

I think im looking to use sync in the same way as you MSattler

For me i would like to be able to use sync to select a film and it to be synced to my Android phone or tablet and for it to be accessible as a available to play film for when you dont/cant get access to Emby

MSattler

For me i would like to be able to use sync to select a film and it to be synced to my Android phone or tablet and for it to be accessible as a available to play film for when you dont/cant get access to Emby

@@ebr, would it be possible to get an explanation of how the folder names, and structure of the Synced Content related to the MB3 server itself?  

Right, this is what we currently have for windows 8.1 and are working on for windows phone, ios, and android.

• Like 1

@@ebr, would it be possible to get an explanation of how the folder names, and structure of the Synced Content related to the MB3 server itself?  

We probably won't publish these internal structures because they would be subject to change.

MSattler

We probably won't publish these internal structures because they would be subject to change.

I'm find with them changing.... if I write a script to change the naming on my end, it can always be re-written.  Without my mobile emby server knowing what the naming convention on the directories means, I just get stuck with a hell of a long path name.  

hmmm I see your point..... not at all what it is for but fair point :-( Virgin Media throttle my upload so been struggling on some days so would have been handy..

AxeMan

hmmm I see your point..... not at all what it is for but fair point :-( Virgin Media throttle my upload so been struggling on some days so would have been handy..

I am not a dev ... just saying from what I have seen on the board. I am not familiar with seedbox, but google says it is for torrents, etc?

I use my seedbox for off-site storage, it is my cloud backup if you like, crazy fast but yes people do use them for torrents but I cannot see why that would not allow this feature? I use my seedbox as an ftp site that is all...

SilentAssassin

I use my seedbox for off-site storage, it is my cloud backup if you like, crazy fast but yes people do use them for torrents but I cannot see why that would not allow this feature? I use my seedbox as an ftp site that is all...

What you are after then is something like the Google drive sync plugin but one that would sync content to a generic ftp site. Maybe you can add a feature request to add ftp location for a sync location.

someone can build a sync plugin just like folder sync except based on the ftp protocol. that's all that's needed.

• 1 month later...
scanner50

if you are syncing to an app such as 8.1 then there is no profile selection, since the conversion will be targeted specifically for playback within that app.

now you just wait patiently for the app to sync the content. it has notifications, and also I'm pretty sure it has a button to kick off the sync manually.

Running into a problem with this myself. Started a sync job from within the Windows 8.1 app on a tablet, the server converted the file but it's been stuck on "Ready To Transfer" for several hours now. I've looked on both the server and the app and can't find a manual transfer button anywhere. Am I overlooking it? What should cause it to transfer automatically?