Plug In Request: OneDrive Sync Support

trooper11

trooper11

After seeing the new announcement for cloud syncing, I'm very interested in the possibilities this presents.  I'm hoping that it is possible to add OneDrive sync support since I'm already using that and I have plenty of space to store media.

I wasn't sure if this should be a plugin request or a feature request since the announcement blog didn't really specify if the Google Drive support was a plugin or added feature internally. If this needs to go to plug ins, I'll gladly move it.

Edited by trooper11
  • Like 8

techywarrior

Google Sync is a plugin. OneDrive is certainly possible. Just need to find a plugin developer to create it.

trooper11

With the new support for syncing to cloud storage, I was hoping that someone might pursue a OneDrive plug in. I happen to use that as my primary storage and I have more than enough to leverage for media storage.

I know that MS recently updated their OneDrive API, so hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult to make happen.

• Like 1

trooper11

Well in any case, hopefully someone finds interest in this. I'm sure their are other people that use OneDrive and would use it for this purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
icthusman1

Does anyone have any plans to create a plug-in for OneDrive just like the one for Google Drive? I bet there are a lot of people who would be able to use this since Microsoft gives unlimited storage out to anyone with Office 365. I am currently uploading my 1.5 TB video collection to OneDrive as a backup, but I would love to be able to use the new features in Emby to store and stream copies from OneDrive rather than my local server.

Here's hoping!

icthusman1

Those of us who have Office subscriptions get 1TB of OneDrive storage, and Microsoft has just announced support for Music folders in OneDrive as well, so this gets interesting.

Office 365 subs are actually unlimited storage. Although, I don't think anyone shows unlimited yet. Mine shows I have 10.3 TBs of space. They did say though that if you hit that threshold you can contact them and they will manually bump you up.

Also, please someone make a OneDrive plugin! I would gladly test and possibly even pay for this plugin. I am an Office 365 sub and would love to have the option to use all that cloud storage space I have.

lrhlpz

Would love OneDrive support...but Google Drive working for now :)

But there are many people who use the Onedrive Music Locker.

• 2 weeks later...
gcoupe

I don't use Google Drive (and have no wish to), because I use OneDrive. At the moment I manually sync my music collection with the Music folder on OneDrive - but it would be very useful if Emby or Plex would do this automatically for me.

icthusman1

I don't use Google Drive (and have no wish to), because I use OneDrive. At the moment I manually sync my music collection with the Music folder on OneDrive - but it would be very useful if Emby or Plex would do this automatically for me.

I agree. No interest in using Google.

Emby will sync for you depending on how your OneDrive is setup. If you have the OneDrive client installed and make your Music folder available, you can use Emby's new Folder Sync to do it. But, I don't believe this will be the same as the Google Drive plugin where it will allow your clients to actually stream from Google Drive.

Another thing you can do is use Symbolic Links to sync folders to your OneDrive. For example, I have OneDrive installed on my Server 2012 machine but didn't want to place my video folder in the OneDrive folder. I do however want to sync everything to OneDrive. So rather than having my 1.5 TBs of videos be synced to two harddrives on the same machine just so I could upload to OneDrive, I created a Symbolic Link inside my OneDrive folder to my video folder on a different drive. This makes it look to OneDrive like the videos are inside the OneDrive folder and it started uploading everything. However, they don't actually exist in that folder but are still on my other drive. So, I now have my videos staying on the hdd where I want them, but also uploading to OneDrive as a backup.

By the way, OneDrive will natively play a bunch of video formats through the web client or the OneDrive apps. This is even better than using Emby (at times) since OneDrive's speed is much faster than my 10 Mbps upload from home.

This is even better than using Emby (at times) since OneDrive's speed is much faster than my 10 Mbps upload from home.

You will get this same advantage via the Emby apps as they will also pull it directly from the cloud and bypass your server upload pipe.

icthusman1

You will get this same advantage via the Emby apps as they will also pull it directly from the cloud and bypass your server upload pipe.

Even though there is no OneDrive plugin? Are you saying if I use the Folder Sync plugin I would get this?

Google Drive is not an option as I will not pay for storage from Google. My family has an Office 365 plan so I have unlimited storage there and this is why I use (well, one of many reasons I use) OneDrive. So if the Folder Sync plugin would enable that to work it would be awesome!

Even though there is no OneDrive plugin? Are you saying if I use the Folder Sync plugin I would get this?

No, I'm saying you will get that with cloud sync.  I'm sure we'll have One Drive at some point.

icthusman1

No, I'm saying you will get that with cloud sync.  I'm sure we'll have One Drive at some point.

I sure hope someone takes on this project. I would contribute time and money to it. Although, while I know computers I am not a programmer so the time part would just be helping test.

• 3 weeks later...
heksesang

I might consider taking on the project if no one else has yet. Not sure how much time I'll be able to put into it, so might take a while before it's done. But I'll keep this thread posted once I start working on it. :)

• Like 3

icthusman1

I might consider taking on the project if no one else has yet. Not sure how much time I'll be able to put into it, so might take a while before it's done. But I'll keep this thread posted once I start working on it. :)

Hooray for you!!

I would happily do any testing needed to help out with this. I am not a programmer so I can't help with that part.

• 4 weeks later...
heksesang

I've started working on it. I'll post once I have some initial release (which probably will need some testing to iron out any bugs). :)

• Like 7