Wake on lan

Alceste
Go to solution Solved by scalda,

Alceste

Hi everyone,

I would like to know whether there is a possibility for the kodi client to automatically wake up the server if the latter is sleeping?

elcabong

Have you tried searching the kodi forum?  Im pretty sure there is another addon that does this.  cant remember the name off hand, but should be easy enough to find the addon, or at least a thread on kodi forum discussing it.

Alceste

I found a Kodi plugin that does this just fine. however the problem here is that the MB plugin does not always wait for the server to wake up.

• 2 weeks later...
Deihmos

Yes it does not work well with the plugin. I have reverted to using kodi with MySQL for local playback because of this. Kodi has a really nice wake on lan solution built in. Hopefully in the future a wake on lan solution can be implemented.

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

I already did. Things would work better if I had an always on server but I don't.

Edited by Deihmos

xnappo

So... It should work fine now since we use the Kodi db.. If it doesn't let us know.

Deihmos

The kodi built in wol only works if the file path is remote. From what I see the location is in the addon userdata. The plugin gives an error immediately if no server is detected.

What would work if I could install the plugin on one pc then share it with others using shared folders.

Edited by Deihmos

xnappo

Can you explain what we would need to make it work?  I have no clue what this is even used for.

Deihmos

Kodi has a built in wake on lan solution located in the power savings options. It only works when it detects the library on another computer. This plugin does not work well with wake on lan because it does not wait to detect the server and it maps the library to a local path. It is hard for me to explain it.

I use Kodi with mysql because it works perfect with a sleeping server. I can then use trakt to sync the watched status of videos viewed remotely.

xnappo

Unfortunately if you can't explain it, we can't fix it.

Edited by xnappo

• Solution
scalda

Kodi has a built in wake on lan solution located in the power savings options. It only works when it detects the library on another computer. This plugin does not work well with wake on lan because it does not wait to detect the server and it maps the library to a local path. It is hard for me to explain it.

I use Kodi with mysql because it works perfect with a sleeping server. I can then use trakt to sync the watched status of videos viewed remotely.

The new update to the addon version 0.0.12 it no longer maps to the local addon folder it now maps straight to the server itself and has the media paths directly to your media folders so the WOL should work without any problems.

• Like 1

Deihmos

I tried it and it did not work. There is nothing added to video files so Kodi does not detect a remote server location. I like the way things work with MySQL so I will not bother.

5520222a32038_screenshot001.jpg

Edited by Deihmos

Angelblue05

I tried it and it did not work. There is nothing added to video files so Kodi does not detect a remote server location. I like the way things work with MySQL so I will not bother.

5520222a32038_screenshot001.jpg

This makes no sense. What version are you using? :)

Deihmos

Kodi will not trigger wake on lan for plug in. A video library pointing to a remote file is needed and I used the most recent release.

I kind of got it working by manually adding the wol settings but the plugin does not wait for the server to wake and gives a connection error immediately. It would work great if I could disable the error notifications.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Wake_on_lan

Edited by Deihmos

• 2 months later...
Deihmos

Have you guys considered adding wake on lan where the addon will send a wake signal if the server is not detected then wait for it to wake? This would make this addon golden. The addon does not work with the built in wake on lan.

Angelblue05

@@Deihmos

Can you explain how it behaves currently? Right now if the server appears offline, it should stop the add-on process and alert the user about it and keeps retrying the connection to the server until A. The server shows as online or B. Kodi is shutdown. So if you do WOL, even if the add-on tries to connect and says server is offline, it should then display as online once the server shows up as online. Is this not what's happening right now?

Since I don't use such feature, more information will go a long way. Or you are always welcome to contribute to the add-on by making a pull request! :) 

Deihmos

I was able to configure the native kodi WOL but it does not work well with the addon. It will only send the signal if I try to play something on the server and I had to change to SMB. With mysql it will wake the server when I start Kodi or resume from sleep.

I am using ServerWMC and it has a WOL setting so I will use that instead. It wakes the server as soon as Kodi launches. 

Edited by Deihmos

• 4 weeks later...
sylvio2000

Are there an news regarding this problem? I hav an AFTV with kodi 15.0. But wol does not work with my emby server.

Deihmos

I think the plugin should have WOL built in like Plexbmc. That's the best solution imo. Maybe one day the developers can look into it. After some config changes my server is now pulling just 8 watts at idle so I just leave it on.

Edited by Deihmos

marcelveldt

Please request this feature on our Trello board :-)

As a workaround for now I'd suggest you to install the Advanced Wake On lan addon. That one let's you configure when/how to wake your server. I use it myself too to wake my emby server,

• Like 1