Forgotten Login

Gina66

Gina66

So I hope you guys can help me, as it's been a very long day of tech fails.

I had to reinstall Windows today and I'm still in the process of loading everything back up. However, I have now run into an issue. As my desktop (and thus my external drive) were my "server", I can't seem to log in to that profile. I have no issues logging in with say my laptop (which shows the server), but as for my actual server name, I don't know what it is. I've tried a few, but all they do it take me back as though I was setting up the server for the first time.

It wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't spent money on themes and became a supporter. I really don't want to purchase things I already have because I can't remember my login info. I've tried resetting the password, but again, it just takes me back to where I'd be starting from scratch.

Is there any way of trying to figure out how to log back into the server?

Gina66

I think I may have solved or at least found a solution to my issue. I noticed that I have a back up copy of the MediaBrowser folder, which may have my settings. Is that assumption correct? It can't be more than maybe a month or a few months old and other than updates, it should have everything there.

So my question is, if I were to put this copy back - where the MB folder is now (which, where would that be btw?), would the settings there then allow me to be automatically logged in to the server? I'd still like to know how to find what my original un/pw combo for when I need to do this again (probably when Windows 10 comes out) and I don't want to run into this again.

Again, help is very much appreciated!

berrick

To "copy back" - on the computer running MB server

• press an hold windows key (one with windows logo) and press R
  • in the run box type %appdata%, press enter
  • the folder you want is named MediaBrowser-Server
  • rename this folder and copy your folder to this location

Are you running dev updates? See this post in case it has a bearing on your issues?

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/19259-question-about-dev-build/

Edited by berrick

Gina66

I ended up having to just start from scratch, which I guess is fine, though it means I no longer have access to the themes I had previously bought (which now no longer show in the plugin area). Ironically enough, LastPass didn't have an option for saving my info, so I've saved it this time. It'll be interesting to see how this will work with Windows 10, especially when it seems that the Windows App isn't working correctly

Purchased items are related to a supporter key and not any local users on your server so that should not be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Gina66

Purchased items are related to a supporter key and not any local users on your server so that should not be an issue.

It apparently is, as I tried using my old supporter key and it didn't work; I had to resupport in order to get themes, which the ones I bought don't seem to be available any more.

But this is what I'm saying - is there no way of retrieving a lost username and password? I've tried doing the app data and server info and all that does is retrieve what I have NOW; the saved folder I kept didn't have that. I posted this in another thread in relation to none of the mobile apps working either (at least my Win8 one works, but continues to crash to the desktop).

As of today, even my mobile app won't let me log in - even with the current user names and passwords, so I don't know if this is soemthing related to the Win8 app issue or note.

Again, there doesn't seem a way to either find out what my information is to save it or at least reset it should I need to reformat; is there a formula I should have followed to ensure I have everything the way it was before? I know I'll have to go through the same extact thing should I 1. replace the hard drive or 2. reformat again.

Beardyname

It apparently is, as I tried using my old supporter key and it didn't work; I had to resupport in order to get themes, which the ones I bought don't seem to be available any more.

But this is what I'm saying - is there no way of retrieving a lost username and password? I've tried doing the app data and server info and all that does is retrieve what I have NOW; the saved folder I kept didn't have that. I posted this in another thread in relation to none of the mobile apps working either (at least my Win8 one works, but continues to crash to the desktop).

As of today, even my mobile app won't let me log in - even with the current user names and passwords, so I don't know if this is soemthing related to the Win8 app issue or note.

Again, there doesn't seem a way to either find out what my information is to save it or at least reset it should I need to reformat; is there a formula I should have followed to ensure I have everything the way it was before? I know I'll have to go through the same extact thing should I 1. replace the hard drive or 2. reformat again.

Unless I'm misstaken if you press forgotten password on the login page for the admin account it will print it to the logs or similiar, is this what you are asking about?

Also as long as you have an active subscription key you should get the stuff, if the plugins/skins are removed (or were for lets say mb 2.x) It makes sense that they no longer would be available.

In the past when i have re-installed the server, putting in my key lets gives me what i had before the re-install.

Gina66

Unless I'm misstaken if you press forgotten password on the login page for the admin account it will print it to the logs or similiar, is this what you are asking about?

Also as long as you have an active subscription key you should get the stuff, if the plugins/skins are removed (or were for lets say mb 2.x) It makes sense that they no longer would be available.

In the past when i have re-installed the server, putting in my key lets gives me what i had before the re-install.

At this point, I don't know.

I've tried forgotten password, all it ever does is reset my password for THIS FORUM. When trying to login with my email address, it takes me to my previous server, which again I can't access as I've reformatted my pc. This only affects apps, like the Win8 and the mobile app; if I'm at home, I have no issues. But as soon as I go outside of the house or just to test the new Emby site, I run into this same issue.

All I want to know is how do I figure out what my username and password. Obviously what's on the configuration page is not correct (under users) because when I try that, it says log in failed because of wrong UN/PW. I'm using the same password for all and still get that message. And while my last subscription key was active, it still wouldn't work when I tried it, meaning I had to pay for another key just to get everything back up and running. This was just a complete hassle that I know I'll have to do again when Windows 10 comes out AND I've been toying about just putting this on a bigger hard drive that I can access separately, but again, that means having to reinstall everything and then I run into the same issue I'm having now.

I like to think I'm more tech savvy than most, but I don't understand why this is so complicated. Why can't I just discover what my username and passwords are for ALL my users (which is just me anyway) so when I have to reinstall, I just install the server and sign in? Should be the easiest thing ever and it's not. I'm getting totally frustrated by it cause I just don't want to have to go through this every time I reformat a pc.

it would be a major security hole if we had the ability to display passwords. that's why no software does that.

my advice if you're having trouble remembering passwords, leave them empty - for your local server users i mean.

Beardyname

At this point, I don't know.

I've tried forgotten password, all it ever does is reset my password for THIS FORUM. When trying to login with my email address, it takes me to my previous server, which again I can't access as I've reformatted my pc. This only affects apps, like the Win8 and the mobile app; if I'm at home, I have no issues. But as soon as I go outside of the house or just to test the new Emby site, I run into this same issue.

All I want to know is how do I figure out what my username and password. Obviously what's on the configuration page is not correct (under users) because when I try that, it says log in failed because of wrong UN/PW. I'm using the same password for all and still get that message. And while my last subscription key was active, it still wouldn't work when I tried it, meaning I had to pay for another key just to get everything back up and running. This was just a complete hassle that I know I'll have to do again when Windows 10 comes out AND I've been toying about just putting this on a bigger hard drive that I can access separately, but again, that means having to reinstall everything and then I run into the same issue I'm having now.

I like to think I'm more tech savvy than most, but I don't understand why this is so complicated. Why can't I just discover what my username and passwords are for ALL my users (which is just me anyway) so when I have to reinstall, I just install the server and sign in? Should be the easiest thing ever and it's not. I'm getting totally frustrated by it cause I just don't want to have to go through this every time I reformat a pc.

Wait when you press forgotten pw on your servers dashboard it talks about the forum one? This sounds like you are trying to it over connect? (app.emby.media) Have you tried doing it locally? (192.x.x.x:8096)

Also for re-installing, check out the server backup plugin. It backs up all the user configs and settings plugins etc, just save it somewhere you don't format :)

I can't believe that would reset your forum password.

Edited by Beardyname

• 3 weeks later...
Gina66

Sorry gang, I hadn't realized there were replies here.

it would be a major security hole if we had the ability to display passwords. that's why no software does that.

my advice if you're having trouble remembering passwords, leave them empty - for your local server users i mean.

I don't want to display my password; I want to be able to retrieve, like you do with any other website. In this case, for instance, when I copied my old MediaBrowser folder, with all items, I expected it to pick up the settings when I reformatted, but that was not the case. I want something like, a text file (I dunno) that has all the server information and settings, so when you need to do a reformat or you buy a new computer, you don't have to go through the whole process of setting up a new server.

Also, it wasn't my password I needed; it was my username. I believe last time I DID have the password blank (as I only had the desktop and didn't want a password on it) and still ran into issues because I couldn't remember the username to it.

Wait when you press forgotten pw on your servers dashboard it talks about the forum one? This sounds like you are trying to it over connect? (app.emby.media) Have you tried doing it locally? (192.x.x.x:8096)

Also for re-installing, check out the server backup plugin. It backs up all the user configs and settings plugins etc, just save it somewhere you don't format :)

I can't believe that would reset your forum password.

Yes, exactly. When I click on forget password, it takes/took me to the forgot pw here and sends me an email for resetting my password here. Seeing as I log in with Twitter, I don't get that. And then when I try the new password, it still tells me that I'm wrong. I have gone from the most secure to the easiest to remember just to test this theory and nothing workings. I think the first thing I did was the local and that's when it took me to the forum (this was before emby and before I had done a connect with my laptop).

I may do that, the server backup plugin; is it in the plugin area?

I'm just trying to figure all this out as I do reformat routinely and I have been toying with the idea of either replacing my current hard drive or getting a 2nd/larger internal drive to keep this in (that way I can access it without needing my extra drive). I just want to avoid the hassle of what I had to do now, which is start from scratch all because of a forgotten username/password combination

I want something like, a text file (I dunno) that has all the server information and settings, so when you need to do a reformat or you buy a new computer, you don't have to go through the whole process of setting up a new server.

You mean something like the Server Configuration Backup plug-in?

tango_golfaus

I'm starting to get sick of these updates that change everything. Iv'e had MB2, MB3 and now Emby for 5 years nearly. I'm on the end of my tether. 

My media server or client has updated overnight, now when open Media Browser Theatre it is asking for login details. The server is on the same PC! This is ridiculous.

The web client works but i hate the interface. I have tried my Emby username, my server profile user name, I've reset my online pw and server pw to no avail. It is saying cannot contact remote server.

Could anyone you please suggest a resolution?

Edited by tango_golfaus

I'm starting to get sick of these updates that change everything. Iv'e had MB2, MB3 and now Emby for 5 years nearly. I'm on the end of my tether. 

My media server or client has updated overnight, now when open Media Browser Theatre it is asking for login details. The server is on the same PC! This is ridiculous.

The web client works but i hate the interface. I have tried my Emby username, my server profile user name, I've reset my online pw and server pw to no avail. It is saying cannot contact remote server.

Hi, sorry to hear that. The resolution is very easy. You want to use your server profile user name. Open the web interface, and head over to the server dashboard, then click Users. You can see all the user names there and you have the ability to change or reset passwords. Easy! 

We also have a wiki that documents all of this:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Users

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Gina66

You mean something like the Server Configuration Backup plug-in?

Exactly.

The situation has gotten worse as I think my HD may be failing. That's not where I keep my entertainment, but it is where the server is. So once again, I'm at the point where I need to back up my files and everything so when I get a new hard drive, I can set everything back up.

I installed the plugin, but I don't see any info or set up for it. Or instructions. If it's installed, does it run every time MB/Emby does and then takes a screen shot or something? Most importantly, how do I get it to remember these settings once I've bought a new hd?

Gina66

Hi, sorry to hear that. The resolution is very easy. You want to use your server profile user name. Open the web interface, and head over to the server dashboard, then click Users. You can see all the user names there and you have the ability to change or reset passwords. Easy! 

We also have a wiki that documents all of this:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Users

My issue is the same as Tango's and the username thing doesn't work, Luke. At least it didn't for me. And again, if I can't remember what it is, this option doesn't help.

THIS time I do know it, but again, I'm worried that I'll run into the same issue I always do - I type in the username and password, it tells me it's wrong. I reset everything, nothing works and I have to start from scratch.

I'm hoping that the server config backup actually helps, but I'm a little lost on that. And where exactly does it store files? If I don't have those files, am I back to square one?

EDIT- So I found the config plugin and was able to make a backup. WHEW! So here's my next question - how do I use said backup? I'm still confused to how do I load this back on to emby, at least the latest, when I reformat the hard drive again?

Edited by Gina66

Exactly.

The situation has gotten worse as I think my HD may be failing. That's not where I keep my entertainment, but it is where the server is. So once again, I'm at the point where I need to back up my files and everything so when I get a new hard drive, I can set everything back up.

I installed the plugin, but I don't see any info or set up for it. Or instructions. If it's installed, does it run every time MB/Emby does and then takes a screen shot or something? Most importantly, how do I get it to remember these settings once I've bought a new hd?

Click on its tile in "My Plugins".

Gina66

Click on its tile in "My Plugins".

So, like I feared, my hard drive failed last night. Luckily, I was able to install a replacement for the moment and I can get to my files, but - once again - I'm not sure how to get my backup files into a new server. I did find this link - 

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/10427-how-to-migrate-media-browser-server/

But it only talks about the paths it seems for the server; not where to place the backup files from the server backup plugin. I have the backup files, now where do I put them? Obviously cause my hard drive failed last night, I have no idea what the server paths were from the wiki page listed. How do I find that out? I've tried loading the server from the files, but that's not working (for obvious reasons).

The only other thought would be to try and boot to the failed hard drive, but trying to do that last night just resulted in a contingency check loop. :(

Help?

EDIT - I think I have found everything that was listed on the wiki, except it was not in program data, but app data. I think. I'm going to try and download the new server and then follow the instructions on the wiki and see if that works.

Quick question - I'm changing where my media are going to be. will that affect anything or will it be included when I make a new backup?

EDIT 2- OMG, you guys, it worked! I was able to take the backup files and add them to the new server and it works like a charm! The only thing was that it didn't seem to pick up the themes I had; this isn't so bad as this time I was using free themes so I just installed them again. I'm adding files to the new media paths now.

I'll try it on WMC, but that seems to be working okay; only issue is my app for MediaBrowser. It was for 8.1, though now I'm using the Windows 10 preview. It had been working fine before the crash and now it's back to crashing to the desktop (I posted to someone's post about this). I went ahead and decided to try theater, which has no issues and I was able to connect. I guess I'll try that for awhile, but I'm really hoping the issue with the app is resolved; I spent $5 to get that and I would hate to not be able to use it, especially when I switch both my pcs to Windows 10 this summer.

Edited by Gina66

• 4 months later...

I have a similar issue with lost login/password information. I have setup two users one admin and one for the rest of the house. The house profile has no password to remember and no dashboard access, but the admin profile does. I can't remember the admin login or password........getting too old and I didn't write it down.

I followed the "I forgot password" link and found the pin number in my appdata file. Went to the web link shown and the screen that allows for the pin to be entered shows for a split second then the regular login manually screen shows. I try to go back with my browser and the same thing. Flash of the pin login screen then the regular screen. Not sure if this is a browser setting?

The admin profile has the only authority to see the dashboard. So I can't get to the dashboard to change things. Please help me get to my dashboard to correct the problem I have caused.

Feel free to start your replies with "Well, that was stupid", because it was and lets get the jokes out of the way... :rolleyes:

I have a similar issue with lost login/password information. I have setup two users one admin and one for the rest of the house. The house profile has no password to remember and no dashboard access, but the admin profile does. I can't remember the admin login or password........getting too old and I didn't write it down.

I followed the "I forgot password" link and found the pin number in my appdata file. Went to the web link shown and the screen that allows for the pin to be entered shows for a split second then the regular login manually screen shows. I try to go back with my browser and the same thing. Flash of the pin login screen then the regular screen. Not sure if this is a browser setting?

The admin profile has the only authority to see the dashboard. So I can't get to the dashboard to change things. Please help me get to my dashboard to correct the problem I have caused.

Feel free to start your replies with "Well, that was stupid", because it was and lets get the jokes out of the way... :rolleyes:

No problem. What browser are you using? Just for testing purposes, can you try the same process with another browser just so that we can help narrow down the issue? 

Also, do you know what version of the server you're using? If you haven't updated the server recently then i would suggest shutting down and installing the latest version from the website on top of your existing installation, because there was a bug fix related to this scenario. Thanks.

Luke,

Emby version: 3.0.5724.6

IE version: 11.0.9600.18015

Chrome version: 45.0.2454.101 m (currently using)

I do remember that bug fix coming through.

OK, using IE to login created an unusual response. after picking the House icon (w/o password), the screen flashed and came back to the same screen. I could not log in. I also tried retrieving my lost password and I got the same thing, flash and back to login.

IE allowed me to login but I still cannot get to dashboard. Same thing as before. Navigate to lost password link with new pin and the pin page shows for a Split second then changes to the login screen with the House Icon. Did this with both browsers.