WP Forces Transcode

arrmo

Hi,

It seems that MediaBrowser forces transcode in the WP app, even if transcode should not be required. Is there a way to avoid this (DirectStream is much more responsive, and less CPU load on the server of course)?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been trying to dig into this, I admit - confused as to why transcoding happens (but for me at least, it's a concern as it tends to load my server quite a bit). I have the application set to allow a high maximum bit rate, so it shouldn't transcode (on the server) ... but it does.

Is there a way to see (in the logs) why transcoding is initiated?

Thanks!

Hi,

You bet, no issue at all! I was hoping to try to take care of it myself, just let folks know the answer - try to help out that way. No luck so far though ... :(.

I'm running MB3 server Version 3.0.5518.28564, and the WP client is current (Version: 8.0.65.0). I have attached the server and transcoding logs (did a fresh restart of the server right before capturing this, to avoid sending you a 60 MB log file ... ;)). Don't worry about the messages in the transcoder log that say "Past duration 0.778130 too large". I'm using a version of ffmpeg that I built locally, as I'm also trying to test out nvenc encoding (not in this run, and it's not really part of the issue - I don't want transcoding to start at all!).

The client is set for 480p (I have tried 720p also, no joy), and 4.5 Mbps ... this is higher than the source file, which is an mp4 file with Media Info as below (from MB3) -> so transcoding should not take place, correct?

Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level40
Resolution720x406
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate29.95404
Bitrate1367 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames3
CABACYes
Audio
Languageund
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Bitrate250 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Embedded Image
CodecMJPEG
Level-99
Resolution200x113
Framerate90000
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuvj420p
DefaultNo

I have also tried streaming this file directly to the phone (web server), and it plays fine - so the codecs are compatible.

Thoughts? Things I should try? Any details I have missed?

Thanks!

server-63560745963.txt

transcode-9e41039e-f14f-403f-877e-a40539114e87.txt

• 2 months later...
arrmo

Hi,

Any thoughts on this? I admit, it is a bit painful to have transcoding taking place when not needed ... :(.

Thanks!!!

First update to the latest version of the server and the app.

arrmo

Hi,

I believe I am - but I could be wrong! Here is what I have,

- Server: 3.0.5597.1 (it says it's current)

- App: 8.0.66.1

Is this right?

FYI, it's an MP4 file that is being transcoded.

Thanks!

ScottIsAFool

And it's still transcoding with 8.0.66.1? This version did have fixes in that should have sorted this so it only transcodes what it needs to transcode.

arrmo

As far as I can tell - though I could be screwing something up, that's definitely not impossible ... ;).

Source file is similar to above (offline transcoded by MCEBuddy, saving HDD space). I have set the WP app (for WiFi, which I'm testing over) to 720p, 7.5 Mbps ... so greater than the source ... thinking this means to not transcode. Make sense?

Any things you want me to try, or logs that would help? More than happy to help out here if I can!

Thanks for all the help.

ScottIsAFool

Ok, let's try a different route, what's convincing you that it's transcoding when it doesn't need to?

arrmo

Sounds good! I'm an engineer, appreciate the methodical approach .. :).

Here is what I did - it may be misleading me, feel free to comment / disagree!

1) If I take the file, put it on my web server ... and go to it from my WP (using IE) -> it streams fine, and of course no transcoding there. The point - WP can play the file back in native format.

2) I go to MB, select the file (and believe I have the settings such that it shouldn't transcode, though that may be wrong) ... logs on the server start to create transcode log files, and show transcoding. Also, jumping around the file is not very responsive (like 1) above), and new transcode log files start whenever I jump around. Also, CPU usage on the server jumps up, I believe indicating transcoding.

Make sense? Am I out to lunch? Feel free to say so if I am ... :)

Thanks!

arrmo

BTW, is it captured in the logs somewhere (either server or client side) why the decision to transcode is made? I'd be more than happy to go through the logs, find the info to get it to you (i.e. try to offload you).

Thanks!

arrmo

Hi,

I have a feeling that the latest server update didn't take - as I did a reboot tonight (for other reasons) ... now transcoding doesn't seem to be happening (I don't think). Is there a way in the WP app to show the transcoding (or DirectPlay) on the screen (to check)?

Thanks!

arrmo

OK, now the skip forward and back buttons aren't working ... LOL. I keep breaking things ... ;-).

Thanks for all the help!

arrmo

Hi,

FYI, just to follow up (on the skip forward / back buttons),

- Web Interface: don't seem to exist, correct?

- Windows App: Seems to FFWD / REW, not skip, is that expected?

- Windows Phone App: turn white, don't do anything.

Am I just messing up? I'm sure the buttons used to work, but it may be me.

Thanks,

... Russell

For all three - yes, when direct streaming. When transcoding, the web app can skip/back perfectly in all browsers except internet explorer. Although Microsoft's new Edge browser works perfectly.

For win 8, if you need skip buttons, then please request them in that section of the forum. 

arrmo

Will do - thanks!

Perhaps a dumb question, but how to get the skip buttons working in the Windows Phone app (direct streaming)? Just not sure where to ask.

Thanks again.

ScottIsAFool

It sounds like it's something I need to fix in the app.

arrmo

NP, just wasn't sure if I was doing something stupid (entirely possible). Yell if I can do anything to help out!

Thanks.

arrmo

Hi,

This may seem odd, but I think it's right ... it seems like the skip forward and back controls work if I am on cellular data, but not on Wi-Fi.

Does that make any sense at all?

Thanks!

ScottIsAFool

Not in the slightest :) but it's something to work off, thanks.

• Like 1

arrmo

LOL - I understand completely. Just thought the observation may help to narrow the search (=less painful).

Checked it again tonight - yep, seems consistent.

Thanks!