Ability for MBS to merge single TV show across two separate locations

CalypsoCowboy

CalypsoCowboy

Not sure where to put this so I'll start here.

Is there a way to have MB recognize two separate directories for the same show? For example, I have a directory on my NAS where I store my recorded TV I want to keep. I record the shows to my local drive rather than across the network. I have both directories in my TV Shows libraries. When I open up the web browser for example, I see two entries for the same show. Is there any way to make this show up as just one show? They show up as two separate entries in the metadata manager but the show names are the same. 

-Josh

• Like 1

Vidman

This has been asked a number of times ... If you search you will find that every time the response is to use drive pooling so everything appears as on one drive... Tho this doesn't help in your situation

Edited by Vidman

CalypsoCowboy

I'd like to see MBS allow for the ability to merge a TV show that is spanned across multiple drives into one single show for example

C:\Some Show\Season 1\S01E01.mkv

D:\Some Show\Season 2\S02E01.mkv

Current the show is displayed twice in MBS even though it is the same show. I'd like MBS to merge so it shows as only one show.

Drive Pooling is an option for some users but doesn't work as well when you have a local location for files and a NAS type device for the other location. 

CalypsoCowboy

Thanks, I did a search but I wasn't looking for the correct keyword. I saw lots of threads requesting this. I didn't see an entry in the Features Request forum so I added one there. Feel free to +1 it if you want to see it added. In the mean time I'll have to search for a work around.

-Josh

Deathsquirrel

Use drive pooling or hard links/junction points in windows.  Then it either will be in the same spot or windows will pretend it is.  Either way that solves the issue without code changes.

Vidman

Use drive pooling or hard links/junction points in windows. Then it either will be in the same spot or windows will pretend it is. Either way that solves the issue without code changes.

See what i mean @@CalypsoCowboy ;) it seems to be an automatic response Edited by Vidman

CalypsoCowboy

I'm running Windows 7 so Storage Spaces isn't an option right now.

Currently I'm using unRaid for my NAS which will spin down the disks when not in use. I'm not sure how well a drive pooling solution would work as I'm already pooling my drives and part of the time, those disks go to sleep.

Also not sure what drive pooling solutions exist for Linux side of the world.

For the time being, I'll work around my problem.

Deathsquirrel

See what i mean @@CalypsoCowboy ;) it seems to be an automatic response

Well once EBR says 'no, use any of the several workarounds' we are left helping people take the hint :)

If you have a windows server you can create a junction point in one of the two folders holding the show so that Windows sees all the seasons in one folder.

unRaid has drive pooling and will manage spinning up your discs as needed.  

And I'm sure we will get to this but, given all the available workarounds that actually work better that this solution would, it is low priority.

thefirstofthe300

I don't know that drive pooling would work in this case because it sounds like what he needs to have happen is his unRAID NAS pool its drives with a Windows 7 box or vice versa. As far as I know, this isn't possible.

Am I right @@CalypsoCowboy?

CalypsoCowboy

Correct, the drives I would want to pool are a local drive (D:\NextPVR) on the computer and a network share (\\server\TV Shows) on my unRAID box

I would prefer to record locally to the D drive for performance and avoid possible network problems. 

-Josh

You could still record locally and then use our AutoOrganize feature (or another program) to move those recordings to the pooled drives.

Or, just use a junction as suggested previously.

spootdev

I organize my stuff a bit oddly I spose.  I have things split up by TV_HD and TV_SD so I could have a show cross those boundries as one season will be HD and one season in SD so drive pooling etc isn't in the cards for me.

I started poking around the code the other day.........maybe I'll get bored enough to submit a patch someday.  :huh:

If you are asking for these items to be combined, then why do you separate them based on quality?  Just curious...

spootdev

Told ya it was odd.  :D   Basically I split up my files by media type so I can tell at a glace on my array what's what.....and what should be "upgraded"/etc someday.

But when I'm in the watching mood.......I prefer to see everything as one.  And if I want to go hd or sd I can use the browse folder view.  Make sense or am I babbling?

pritch33

I organize my stuff a bit oddly I spose.  I have things split up by TV_HD and TV_SD so I could have a show cross those boundries as one season will be HD and one season in SD so drive pooling etc isn't in the cards for me.

I started poking around the code the other day.........maybe I'll get bored enough to submit a patch someday.  :huh:

Not sure how good it works but cant you use reports tv and filter by sd