Web Client will not play anything

moviefan

moviefan

For a long time now (maybe six months or so) I have been unable to play any videos through the IOS web client.  Since I mostly use this this during the baseball season to watch games remotely it hasn't been a big deal but I'd really like to get it working again at some point - especially as the season is about to start again.

I just upgraded today to server version 3.0.5518.0 but this issue has persisted at least as far back as October because I first noticed the issue during the world series and I typically update within a day or two of each release on the server beta level.

I thought it might have been related to IOS 8 but my wife still has IOS 7 on her iPhone and I experience the same problem on hers.  So I have tested this with the following combinations of IOS devices which all fail:

- iPhone 6 running IOS 8 using both chrome and Safari

- iPad Air running IOS 7 and IOS 8 running both Chrome and Safari

- iPhone 5S running IOS 7 using both chrome and Safari

Playing through the web cilent works successfully on all computer devices.  Including Windows, Windows 8, and MAC OSx.  I typically use Chrome but have also gotten it working using Safari.

Also, the MB Mobile App works fine on the same devices and the exact same videos that won't play in the web client play fine through it.

When I click to play the video it does load the playing screen and it looks like this:

54d94169c0ca3_IMG_1271.png

If I click the play button it flickers but nothing ever happens.

The audio, subtitle, chapter, and quality  icons are all functional and load the relevant menus with valid settings related to the file.

I am able to switch the subtitle track and select something other than the default fine.  If I try and select a chapter, or a different quality level though, the client immediately crashes and I am returned to the IOS home screen.

Attached are logs after a reboot with advanced debugging enabled.  After the reboot, I waited for the scan to finish and then tried to play the file.  At this point I grabbed the logs.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information to help resolve this.

Thanks!

i have been testing throughout and no problems have been found with the web client on iOS. it does sometimes take several seconds to start, but i've not seen any failures aside from live tv.

moviefan

i have been testing throughout and no problems have been found with the web client on iOS. it does sometimes take several seconds to start, but i've not seen any failures aside from live tv.

It worked fine for me for a long time but just stopped working around October and I haven't been able to determine why so this is why I posted all the information hoping someone could help me debug why it's not working.

It is definitely not an issue of not waiting long enough for the video to start.  It just shows that play icon in the middle and never starts.  And if I select a chapter the client completely crashes.

moviefan

@@Luke would you be willing to try connecting to my system to see if you have the same issue from your IOS device?  Since I've tested from multiple devices I am fairly confident that you would be able to see what I am talking about.

I can setup a test account and provide connection details in a PM to you if so.  Let me know.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Vitale4

I am using EMBY Version 3.0.5572.0.  When trying to stream through Google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.118 (64-bit) nothing happens.  It is almost as if the video does not exist.

I tried the same video without issues from the following devices:

MACBook Pro using Safari Version 8.0.5 (10600.5.17)

Roku Version 3 with the EMBY app

iPhone 6 using the EMBY (Media Browser iOS app)

iPhone 6 using Chrome and connecting directly to my server

Microsoft Windows 8.1 using IE

Is there an issue with Chrome from a non mobile device streaming the videos?

Also note, Chrome functioned fine in the past, so not sure what changed.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.

Edited by Vitale4

I am using EMBY Version 3.0.5572.0.  When trying to stream through Google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.118 (64-bit) nothing happens.  It is almost as if the video does not exist.

I tried the same video without issues from the following devices:

MACBook Pro using Safari Version 8.0.5 (10600.5.17)

Roku Version 3 with the EMBY app

iPhone 6 using the EMBY (Media Browser iOS app)

iPhone 6 using Chrome and connecting directly to my server

Microsoft Windows 8.1 using IE

Is there an issue with Chrome from a non mobile device streaming the videos?

Also note, Chrome functioned fine in the past, so not sure what changed.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.

I have not seen any problems with chrome. You might want to try the new server release.

Vitale4

Ok - will download and install to see if that corrects the issue.  which version of Chrome did you test with? is it 64bit?

just checking to see as I am in IT and know that there are some issues going on with Chrome and sites like youtube.

Vitale4

Just updated to Version 3.0.5582.4 as suggested.  Tested with Chrome and it still does not work.  I can provide what ever you need to see if something is not configured properly.

thanks

Vitale4

Sorry this took so long.  The following is being provided as requested:

EMBY Version: 3.0.5582.4

CHROME Version: 42.02311.90 (64 Bit)

OS the EMBY Server is running on:  Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) 32 bit (I know this is old).  Note:  I am going to be building a new computer and will either be running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.  However, the current setup has been working flawlessly with the exception of this issue.

What does work

• From the computer I am running EMBY Server On:  Everything seems fine, including running from Chrome.
  • External Devices (Clients on my network) seems to work fine, except when using Chrome as follows:
  1. MACBook Pro using Safari Version 8.0.5 (10600.5.17)
  2. Roku Version 3 with the EMBY app
  3. Roku Stick with the EMBY app
  4. iPhone 6 using the EMBY (Media Browser iOS app)
  5. iPhone 6 using Chrome and connecting directly to my server
  6. Microsoft Windows 8.1 using IE

What does not work

• playing of video's on a client (not on the server) when using Chrome (version noted above).

Latest Test as follows

This morning at 8:34:10 EST, I tested with a newly created fitness video (Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30).  Using my Mac Book Pro (Yosemite OS), I was able to traverse to the location and click on Week 1.  The client seemed to talk to the server and then the screen went black as if it was trying to play.  So no screen shot was taken.

On the same computer, at approx. 8:35:20, I used Safari and traversed to the same file and the Video worked as expected.

Note:  Doing this on my Desktop where EMBY is installed (WIndows PC), everything worked as expected from all Browsers (Chrome and IE alike).

I have attached the log and transcode files as requested (I believe the transcode reflects when I ran it from Safari). Also note the following items are provided on the URL line when trying to launch the video. id=4082a7d2614800f13ef1982676e739c0&context=folders&topParentId=9b67596c9f15dada5775100fc60dbbd6

This all started with the more recent items I have loaded since upgrading to EMBY from MediaBrowser.  Video's were converted using Handbrake and saved as an MKV file.

Additional information - not sure if it is related:  The auto-update does not seem to be functioning.  I have to do a download, stop the service, then install the update as instructed.  Are the updates supposed to be automatic as it was when is was known as MediaBrowser?

Thanks 

transcode-00848c96-0d0c-4c90-a427-5fbd7aaa9b5b.txt

server-63564998399.txt

smailpouri

Fresh install from yesterday.

Tried with Chrome on OSX and Windows, IOS app, IOS web client Emby Theatre. Nothing work. I can access the server remotely, navigate through  but Black screen when i press play. I only have a remote access to my server.

I've been using plex for many years and wanted to switch to EMBY when I read about all the good features, no luck for now.

I will eventually post my log files etc...

SERVER: MACBOOK PRO OSX 10.X

EMBY: Latest version (just downloaded it yesterday)

DNS: I get my DNS from my asus router. xxxx.asuscomm.com

port number: 8096

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Fresh install from yesterday.

Tried with Chrome on OSX and Windows, IOS app, IOS web client Emby Theatre. Nothing work. I can access the server remotely, navigate through  but Black screen when i press play. I only have a remote access to my server.

I've been using plex for many years and wanted to switch to EMBY when I read about all the good features, no luck for now.

I will eventually post my log files etc...

SERVER: MACBOOK PRO OSX 10.X

EMBY: Latest version (just downloaded it yesterday)

DNS: I get my DNS from my asus router. xxxx.asuscomm.com

port number: 8096

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Please see http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

Vitale4

I have a similar issue and reported as well.  The difference is that I can watch Movies using an alternate browser or through Roku and others.  I am curious if it works with Safari?  I am asking because I still cannot get Chrome to work on a client PC within my Network, but Safari will.  Chrome does work if I am running it on the actual compute where Emby Server is running.

• 4 weeks later...
genesisforlive

Hi,

i have test it also

the Problem is https://

with http:// all works fine

i hope it will be fixed

greets

Edited by genesisforlive

legallink

i've had a similar issue with iOS and Safari.  The only thing I could boil it down to was folder/film title length.  Extremely long ones it wouldn't work with.

neg99

Yep same issue and resolution here. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why MKV blu ray rips weren't working, HTTP instead of HTTPS works just fine...

neg99

Yep same issue and resolution here. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why MKV blu ray rips weren't working, HTTP instead of HTTPS works just fine...

And changed firewall rules on the server to allow remote connections to the Emby server app and that's resolved it.

neg99

So it's not actually an https issue?

Not for me. It turned out windows firewall opened the right port for HTTP when I allowed the server through the firewall but not the port for HTTPS. Once I manually opened the HTTPS port it worked fine.

Also the behaviour was a bit odd as Chrome on iOS worked fine but not safari so I assume safari defaults to HTTPS where chrome doesn't.

Either way it's working perfectly now.

• 1 month later...
silvanet

My videos play fine from the emby browser interface on the server itself. They also play if I open Kodi and play them from there. My Kodi on the machine with the server is set up to build its library in the server's media folders. So that's great. Now, when I go to another computer on the network and log in from a browser interface there (client), the login and connection are recognized and everything seems to be working. I can see the videos in the library and episodes etc. But the moment I click to play them, all I get is pretty fanart and nothing plays. I have Kodi in the client computer as well, and in Kodi I have added the server media library folders. I can see them from the client, but they all show up as empty of episode content. Well, the artwork and images appear, but every folder shows zero of whatever the number of items in the folder, and of course nothing plays there either of what is in the emby folders. Can anyone help me? Do I need to set up a NAS? Do I need to set up a usenet account? I'm not sure, but I don't think there was anything wrong in the installation. I think this is just something I have missed in the configuration. It is not a firewall issue because I have tried with the firewall completely turned off and I get the same results.

Sorry that this is not an iOS issue, but this is the closest thing I have found in the forums that matches the problem I'm having.

Edited by silvanet